Author Topic: can someone help me please  (Read 2949 times)

Offline krazyone2006

• PoM PuFFs??
  • Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
can someone help me please
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
had a friend bring me over a 360 with rrod so i proceeded to strip it down like normal got the xclamps off and heatsinks swaped out washers and bolts cleaned all old thermal paste off put new thermal paste on put it all back together hooked it up still giving the rrod got the code it was giving of which was 0003 did a swap on a power supply from a friends that i know works and still get the rrod with the 0003 error code any clue what it could be please help if possible and thanks in advance to all who help

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: can someone help me please
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »
so the box came to you with 0003 and after the xclamp it still gave you 0003?

swapping the powersupply made no difference..... so your friend tell you the events leading up to the failure? Lighting strike, power loss, spilled drink, ect.

What does the LED on the PSU do when u turn it on?

Are there any mods on this box or attempted mods?

the canned response it that you dont have clean power on the xbox, you know the PSU is clean so it has to be inside the box.  I guess what you could look at is all the known voltage sources with a Multimeter if anything comes back out of the ordinary you will know what to look at closer. 

Also inspect the MoBo for any discolored parts, or excess thermal paste, or any solder that may have splashed off mods that have been performed.

Offline krazyone2006

• PoM PuFFs??
  • Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:49:17 PM »
no it is a virgin xbox lol no mods have been done to it

he was playing halo it loaded got to play for 30 seconds then it frooze on him he reset it and it gave him he rrod let it cool down and tryed to turn it on and still rrod

when i got it i did the x-clamp replacement on it and it is still giving off the code 0003 new thermal paste and all

the power supply led turns orange as soon as you plug it in and then green when you turn the 360 on
and i see nothing outta the ordinary on the motherboard either

im at a loss really only 360 i haven't been able to un rrod lol

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:26:20 AM »
that is odd. the power suply seems to be working fine?? check and make sure a pin is not bent or something in the power plug at the back of the 360....

remove the hard drive and try to boot it, see what happens.

did you properly heat the system after preforming the xclamp?

Offline krazyone2006

• PoM PuFFs??
  • Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
yeah i checked all the prongs by the power supply and both times i redid the x-clamp fix i went over them with a heat gun and still 0003 error code i have no clue about it like i said too hooked up a known working power supply and sill same thing
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:44:06 AM by krazyone2006 »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »
dang, honestly it isnt looking good.  Sounds like there is something in the power management circuitry is failed.  could be a failed transistor, could be a failed switching IC, not sure what to tell you.

were you able to see what was happening on the 3.3V and the 5V pins where the power comes in?  What about the big capacitors(cylindrical things), are any of them swelled or leaking anything?

I will see if I cant find anything more specific out for you by searching the netz. I will post back if I find anything

Offline crazyl69

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »
    Try to reheat the heat sinks a few more times and after doing so, retight the screws to the heat sink just a tiny bit. I'm actually going thru this with my own xbox 360 elite, with a built in falcon board. This is my third time in about one week that the rrod continues to appear and every time I keep heating up and retightening the heat sinks. Some xbox 360 boards are more stubburn than others in correctly reflowing the cpu and gpu chips. Good luck...

Offline krazyone2006

• PoM PuFFs??
  • Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 04:09:13 AM »
i am going to try the reflow method today where you let it overheat itself see if that does better than the heat gun cause i've already took it too the board twice i am also going to try it with a diffrent spare set of heatsinks i got from another 360 that got fryed will post if it works gotta wake up first LOL

Offline krazyone2006

• PoM PuFFs??
  • Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »
ok i know this is a double post sorry in advance tried to let it reflow 3 times by the over heating method and it still give the rrod and the 0003 code i'm at a lose will post pics in a few of it so maybe someone can see somethig wrong with it that i don't see :boxed:

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
sounds like you should scrap it..sorry dude..let see the pics but I doubt it wil help..sorry

Offline krazyone2006

• PoM PuFFs??
  • Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »
ok can't find my camera :angry: :angry:so i can't post pics but i did tear it back down and reoverheated it now it is giving out the code 0020 instead of 0003 i think i am going to tell this kid to just trash it or donate it for parts LOL and if i tighten the screws down to much the power supply does the thing where the orange light turns green for a split second then back to orange but if i loosen the bolts a hair its fine no clue never ran across this before i am at a lose on it LOL

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 04:49:13 AM »
yea, I think you have spent enough time dealing with it. just to be clear when you check the code you are getting : 4 lights, 4lights, 2 lights, 4 lights...correct? just asking, sometimes some people get confused. like I said just asking.  but yea, if you are now at 0020 9gup malfunction) sell it for parts, cables, heat sinc, case, disk drive..etc..break it down and try to sell parts sepratly on ebay

Offline krazyone2006

• PoM PuFFs??
  • Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 03:08:22 AM »
yeah its going 4 lights 4 lights 2 lights 4 lights so yeah error code 0020 i told the kid he said i could keep it for spare parts or sell it he was going to go out and get a red R5 elite to replace it lol

Offline krazyone2006

• PoM PuFFs??
  • Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
sorry know its a double post but this 360 has to be possesed LOL well after trying to reflow the motherboard and it not working i put it back together and it has been sitting standing up next to my desk for a week now untouched. Well today the kid calls me and asks if i can sell the whole thing for $25-$30 for parts to someone so i was snapping pics of it and went to plug it in and take a pic of the rrod to prove it still boots but had the rrod and low and behold it booted up and has been running for the last 3 hours playing madden 08 on it no problem LOL kid still told me i could keep it cause he got his red elite 2 days ago I just thought it was funny and wanted to thank all those that helped me with it  :drunk: :drunk:

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »
Hahaha.. Nice One..!!!!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:27 AM »
enjoy it while it lasts, chances are it wont be tat long, but yea they do stuff like that sometimes. I had a freind's do the same thing once

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal