Author Topic: GETTING BANNED QUESTION  (Read 6086 times)

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
GETTING BANNED QUESTION
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »
im new to the xbox mod scene so bare with me.

i was wondering if you can get banned if you add additional fans to ur 360 from the 12v spots not from cutting the wire but points on the mobo or from other points like the 5v one?

thank you very much
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS   )                -1 GameCube
-1 PS2 (fa              -2 OG Gameboys
-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
Re: GETTING BANNED QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:26:21 PM »
no even though i'm not in the xbox scene of things , i really doubt anyone can detect you adding fans to your device.. 
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
but i have read that xbox live can detect the amount of voltage going through your system from one of the sticky notes.  so you can only get banned from upping the voltage on original fans to make them spin faster and not from adding additional fans?
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
sorry i'm not the best person to answer your question, but i've heard people using better thermal paste for cooling purposes. Try that or wait till some of the xbox modders answer here. 
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 05:24:35 AM »
ok, we have yet to prove this, but there has been talk of people getting banned from pulling too much power from the 12v source. nobody I know of or have spoke on this forum has been baned for such actions, most of us are starting to believe this is a myth.

for the record, its not the fans that are "suposedly" detected, its the power consumption.

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 05:30:32 AM »
If you are thinking about adding more fans I would say play it safe and use external power

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:13:44 AM »
I have added an extra fan and played on xbox live and nothing has happened yet. I'm using the 12v pins under the power socket. The only way I have heard of you getting banned is if you splice into the DVD drives power cable and use its power. 802Chives knows A LOT about this topic, so hopefully he sees it. There have been stories of people getting banned but they are almost myths, there is no concrete proof and they most likely had hacked firmware which attracted M$ attention.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:11:10 AM »
Ok, I guess I need to make an ammendment to that note as absolutely no one has reported being banned for 12V fan mods before or since whoever made that sticky. 

It basically comes down to this: after having some brief discussions with software guys, we have come to the conclusion that it is possible for M$ to look at power consumption of you unit when it is connected to live. However none of us believe M$ is actively looking at power consumption for several reasons. First of all it would take too much to look at everyones console for this or even DVD firmware modifications, so to that I would think there are certain flags that set the banning process in motion.  Most of the time I believe that has to do to poor quality ISO people are playing that sets off a flag for M$, once the flag is set then they have to confirm that the TOU has been violated.  If they were having difficulty nailing you on the playing backups end of things they might look at power consumption in order to seal the deal. Another point is that why would M$ try to ban someone for extending the life of their product?

I have not heard of anyone being banned that didnt mod the firmware of the DVD drive.  There are literally thousands of people with additional fans or 12V mods that have had no trouble at all with xbox live. So to that I say that you would be fine doing fan mods as it really is not any different then what the add on coolers do when they tap into the 12V power supply.

So yes microsoft most likely could tell if you using fan/power mods.  No they probably wont ever know unless you provoke them into looking into your console.  The possibility of a banning does exist, however the probability of it happening is close to zero.

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »
well thats exactly what i meant, though they could detect it if they wanted, it would take them massive resources to go about checking each and every console for its power consumption. too much of a hassle. u can go ahead without any worries.......
  you look like a carrot.

Offline Magic Monkey

• Club AM VIP
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »
why not use the usb port to power mods as that cannot be detected since USB can be daisy chained and M$ allows a broad spectrum of USB devices to talk to the 360 it is the best solution...

Offline DiscEngine

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
Yea the usb port is the ur best shot cuz it give 5v i believe and thats enough air flow.
The World Is a Better Place With Consoles!

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
Yup, USB is the safest bet for hyjacking voltage, as long as 5V and 500mA are all you need.  USB 2.0 protocol defines the maximum bus load at 500mA or 100mA for each individual device up to 5 devices. 

Just to give you an idea of fan consumption, @12V most 80mm fans draw around 250mA.  So pay attention to your fan power usage to make sure you dont exceed the available power(or usb will shutdown so nothing can get hurt).  Xbox 360 may be able to source more then 500mA on the USB port as the USB protocol is a minimum spec that must be met to bear the USB 2.0 name.

The USB bus also stays powered when the xbox is off so be aware that if you hook up a fan you will need a switch of some sort to turn it off when ur console is not in use.

Another thing is that if your fan is spec'd for 12V, when it is run a 5v it may not turn or may turn very slowly. If you are using USB for fans, make sure to get 5v fans.

USB is a viable solution for power robbing mods however it isnt perfect.  The 12V source that enters the mother board is tried and true and turns on and off when your console does.  I do not know what the max power draw is for that 12V source, but I have seen people sucessfully run 3 extra fans from it without reporting trouble. I would keep it to one extra fan as more is really pointless as long as you pay attention to your air flow comming in and out of your box.

all of my suggestions pertain to people that have had and fixed RROD on their consoles, as you dont see people doing fan mods or even opening up their consoles unless they have been hit by RROD.  If you are doing preventative cooling be forewarned that there is no proof that extra cooling will prevent RROD, signs point to it helping the situation, however in all reality there is no proof.  Which is why I would never suggest voiding your warranty in order to prevent RROD as there is no sure fire way to prevent it.  If you are cooling to prevent the ruccurance of RROD, be very carefull to pay attention to how your air is flowing because it is possible to make the cooling worse or making the fans work harder by adding fans.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:46:40 AM by 802Chives »

Offline DiscEngine

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 04:45:49 PM »
Is it possible to make a USB extension.
For example like some PCs have those USB card with 4 extra USBs would that work in the long run.

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
Thank You very much for the informative info as it is very helpful!
MY CONSOLE LIST:

Offline DiscEngine

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:17:09 AM »
Your welcome even though I didnt do much to help.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
You could try this if you are worried about the power consumption of the fans:

Run the fans from an external 12 volt source such as a wall adaptor. Then use a 12volt relay connected to the 12 volt spot on the 360 to switch the fans on/off with the console.

This is just an idea since I'm not much into the 360 mods.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline DiscEngine

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 05:43:16 PM »
mm yea but idk to many wired laying around  :dntknw: but what ever works for him

Offline redrider

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 06:00:57 PM »
I think its funny If you "can" get banned for modifying the voltage of the rear fan from 5v to 12v since it is an actual 12v fan lol. IDK what they where thinking when they were designing this console.........It fails in every way I think compared to the Ps3. I can barely here my Ps3 when its on and I have never had any problems with it at all. Where as the 360 is loud concerning the drive and the fan and I have sent mine in 3 times to fix the RROD before I did the 12v fan mod and added 2 more 12v fans. It now sounds like a jet, but hasn't overheated yet lol!  :rofl:
Pandora Pw3neD $ony

Offline DiscEngine

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 08:07:07 AM »
Yea i agree any console that is made hackers and modders are the go to doing stuff to it.

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 11:45:12 PM »
im running cold cathodes off the PSU pins on the underside of the mobo, and a pulsevu and all my LEDs from the 5v standby point under there as well for almost a year and no bans for me yet *knocks on wood*

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »
but ps3 has worse games imo and the online isnt as well developed. To me I cant even get into playing a ps3 game. Even the games that are the same for both like cod:WaW I could sort of get into it on xbox live, but the ps3 online just wasnt fun at all for some reason. Sorry I wont post off topic again in this topic :) Dont want to turn this post into a console war or anything.

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 05:30:11 AM »
sorry for the bump, but ive been using 12v from my xbox 360's DVD drive, and i STILL havent been banned, and ive had 12v being drawn for about a year now. I did the 12v fan mod, but I made an adjustable fan mod. i wired the fans up to the 12v and 5v power source of the DVD drive power plug, and i installed a poteimter between them. The pot allows me to adjust the fan speed between 5 and 12v, so if i really wanted to be careful on live (Rapidfire usage :X) I would turn the pot down to run at 5v instead. Hope that helped.
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal