Author Topic: newb question about soldering for rapidfire -matrix d21 (Now with picture)  (Read 8497 times)

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
newb here for a 360

this is my first 360 mod, im usually a psp and a computer amateur modder.

Afriend of mine wants me to rapidfire his old wireless controller for the 360.

i jumped at the idea not knowing what to do really...been a week ive done some research and figured his controller out.

its a matrix and a d21

ive done some googleing and tryied to figure out how to mod his controller for rapid fire...

alot of difference ... mainly i can do; sence im a noveliest,  is make a simple soldering witha push botton switch...ill see if i can do the 555 timer later, sence im a computer technition and my friend who gave me the controller is an electronics man.

I need to know where i need to solder the ground.... or does it really matter?

few sites say i should solder it to the d21 (1player led) on the negative....other say to r21..... and yet one suggest on his website to solder it below r21 in the second socket...... i traced the line and its the same connection to d21....

does anyone know where i should solder??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:40:34 AM by The End of A Heartache »
...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

Offline StealthedHunter

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Can't See me
Re: newb question about soldering for rapidfire -matrix d21
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »
i have always done it to player1 led, i never knew u could do it another way, but then again that is for the 2 wire and pushbutton pwm way of rapidfire if ur using a pic im not sure i havent done it, but there are tons of topics there is actually a whole section dedicated to 360 rapidfire mods under 360, this might be in it im not sure.

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 06:15:25 PM »
ty, yeh different sites indicate that if your smt led sayes d1 then you should solder it straight to the smt led negative..... d21 should be solder on the r21 ....  i was looking around on this forum for awhile and this thread link shows both grounds are on the r21 resistor and the d21 smt led.....  it seems to work perfectly :)... i might do that with a momentary pushbotton maybe i should also add a 74k resistor.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:18:34 PM by The End of A Heartache »

random is fun

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:18:06 AM »
you are getting slightly technical for a hack job mod dont you think? you sound far to intelligent to do this mod..LOL..that was a .  Complement  ..breath take it in LOL I dont give alot of them. there are multi points you can pull this from, the problem is when most people try to solder to the pin hole on the face of the board they end up doing more damage, than if they just went to the led. the safest sure way not to mess up the controller, is to use the rumble pack. but yes, they all work fine for this terrible mod

led
led trace
rumble pack

they all work the same...iffy at best...good luck.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »
Just an FYI: the mod you are attempting is crappo for several reasons.  The first is that the PWM signal you are tying into only works well for rapid fire when the batteries have a medium charge(doesnt work at full or low).  the next problem is that it will only work if the controller is player one controller.. hence why the guides say to use player 1 LED. The last issue is that the matrix is essentially a lagacy controller board and will eventually disappear, so why temp such a mediocre mod if you clearly are capable of doing more, and a mod that will work for all controllers you might face.

If the guy you are modding for is an electronix guy he probably would apreciate the 555 timer with some adjustability in it so he can play with different firing rates IMO.  most of the 555 timer mod tuts are above and beyond what the average player wants.  It can be as simple as producing a %50 duty cycle square wave with adjustable frequency from 1hz to 24hz, and then simply using a push button to connect the signal from the 555 to the trigger input.

There is also the open source pic code you can use, but in all reality the 555 timer does a nice enough job for most.  Either way you are in the right place, and we can get you through whatever it is you decide to do.

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »
modded matt - wow never got a Complement  before :) yeh i talked to the guy over and we deside to go with a 555 timer and hard rigde something up since the components are some what easy to come by....he set me up with three different 555 switch none of which im sure how they would work in the mod... but im sure as all components they might work well enough :)

802Chives - yeh i was going over the information of how choppy this mod is, especially how in some threads the vid on this simple mod look very cut...the rapidfire wouldnt work on some of the games he has.... he thought it might have worked on COD:waw ...but i assured him it wont cause of the control fire script in the game...
we  deside to do a 555 timer, with some basic scheme he is setting me up with parts.. somewhich i can easly get from various brokedown electronics.... some small resisters and acouple diadodes for instant...but yeh i think for the frequency adjustment that might come in handy for him sinces his a massive HALO fan.... im having issue desiding over which 555 schematic i should follow... theres seems to be a vast amount i can use to build upon.... some i found in this site very useful and impresive... others in someother site seems awsome to use but queston them for components reason and schematic.... although we can get the parts; we dont have any breadboard and the retard-shack(radioshack) here in south miami closed down there electronic departments and are now selling version wireless phones and acces. -.- ..... in eithercase its fine i can build up on the 555 chip or on the controller casing and hotglue the components down in random areas and use a mile of wireing (lol) ..about open source pic codes.... never heard of that..intrested to learn how that is used..... i will research some but not this week... i have a mess of clients who need there computer cleaned and tuned.....so i will research this firday and all weekend

sorry if this is a double post... im not trying to be lazy..just wanted to kill two birds with one stone persay.... if i violated anything ill edit it when i get a chance ... again sorry

random is fun

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »
ty modded matt ill check it out  :tup:

DUDE! your a genius man    :w00t:

i went over to your thread and reviewed all the pieces i need wow i got all that minus the breadboard .

dude this schamtic of yours
]

with the LED indicator light ridge to the 4th payer is AMAZING i was wondering when i first saw your first schamtic if you were ganna make an indicator.....

:hifive:  :hifive: :hifive:

three hi fives my friend

three hi fives

i need to know though i got a different 555 timers ( xc ne555p) does it matter? i know ive seen someone ask, but i skimed that cause it really didnt get any of my attention ...though i think i should read back and see..
will it matter cause the one you indicated to get from retardshack is a tlc555 chip...i hope not cause i busted some chips taking them off an old learning set a friend of mine gave me years ago and one of them was a tlc555 chip :cry2:

and oh i definatly need to get a switch then... i got myself a momentary switch for $4 something from harborfrieghts(all perpose tool store) thinking i can use that as a switch unitl i reviewed the thread post and the scheme..so yeh i might need to get an push switch thats nomally open ... wouldnt be a big deal im on a cheap budget cause of no cash flow... its cool if not ill see if i can rip out a push botton from my computer parts that arent in use  :huh:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:26:19 PM by The End of A Heartache »

random is fun

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:35:49 AM »
pm me with a mailing address, I am in gainesville, FL, I got some cheap push buttons that will get you by, I may have a timer too, hell I got a few assembled laying around also, but you cant have them sorry, you must do the work for yourself. I will send a button and timer though, no biggie....south miami..LOL boat, raft, or enter tube?

now to answer your question, it defiantly matters!! the tlc555 timer is a low power timer. the other is not. the TLC runs at2.5-3.5v and the other run at +5v. I tried using other timers by adjusting the caps and what not, they will work but they are not consistent and sometimes dont work at all which really sucks while playing.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:19:55 AM »
Well I said it before but I will say it again, you came to right place!  My man Modded Matt is easily the foremost authority on anything Rapid Fire that is DIY and open source and then some.  His 555 timer thread and Open source thread (Hazer's code, but matt put a nice tut together for it) are top notch and a small indicator of why we like him so much around here.

Feel free to make Acidmods your home, and use it to post your work as we love mods here, old and new doesnt matter to us.

Here is a little Run down of the various versions of Rapid Fire that people use:

Rapid Fire on button: usually the simplest mod that uses a push button as an alternate trigger with turbo function.  I like it cuz there is no turning things on and off, just use that button when you want.  The LED pwm signal, 555, and microcontroller mods can achieve this.

Rapid Fire on Trigger: this is a harder mod to achieve as the 2 types of controller mother boards come into play, as one requires a +V signal to make a trigger press and the other uses ground to make the trigger press.  So what that means is you have to "Chop" the existing signal using a square wave at proper frequency that alternates from ground/+V to high impedence signal. (this is what the NPN transistor does, it allows the trigger to do its thing when signal is low) In simpler terms you are injecting the "OFF" time of your rapidfire waveform to the existing trigger signals, effectively chopping it and allowing the trigger signal to pass during the "low" part of your waveform.  So with this type of mod you would use the push button to turn the mod on and off.  Hope that isnt too confusing.   This can be achieved with a 555 I believe(matt will know for sure), but easier with pic microcontrollers with the open source code.

Sleeper Rapid Fire: The last option is similar to the above in functionality, the only difference is it will utilize an existing face button on the controller in order to turn rapid fire on and off on the trigger(sometimes the sync is used, other times a press and hold function is added to the buttons).  it is possible to do this anolog with the 555 as with the above(will require more than one 555 or op-amps), but most simply done using a microcontroller with the other version of open source code.

So there it is Rapid Fire 101.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:26:54 AM by 802Chives »

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »
modded matt - thanks dude..you really saved me acouple of bucks ..well acouple of bucks i dont have right now.... yeh i came by plane from texas lol ...  i figured as much..hmm the ne555 is for high voltage use.... wouldnt work normally or at all on anything lower then 5.. did you try changing one of the 1k ohms to 800ohms whn you used the ne555chip? the more resistance the slower the wavelegnth gets cause your bottlenecking the amount of current....so in short ^^^^^^ <-wavelegnth before resister...^_^_^_^_<-wavelegnth with resister.

802Chives - yes i did :) i willpost my first work here for this mod, first need to find my old digi cam ..lol.... so i elevated from doing a simple and very choppy rapid fire botton to a rapidfire trigger :) ..... doesnt seem to heavy to do... well since you guys all came up with the way to do it...all im doing is restepping step by stepthe schemes modder matt created...i am definatly giving my props to modder matt for his INGENIUS schamtics :tup: you are the man dude!...... and thanks once i get this all set and my homie's happy with the results i will then start or try to do the sleeper rapid fire on my own controller and pwn his a.s.s XD

ok this is what ive done so far this week
Thanks MODDER MATT for the components and schamtics

My workstation is messy, had a leak on the roof so i had to move things around to patch up where its leaking...got myself a 20 watt solder pencil, was the only thing retard-shack had in stock  -.-

sorry for the crappy pictures, my old digi cam cant take any hidef pictures,only 4.3 megapixels >.<

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:41:54 PM by The End of A Heartache »

random is fun

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal