Author Topic: what would it take to....  (Read 1588 times)

Offline ColdSoldier

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
what would it take to....
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:46:24 AM »
so everybody loves the usb loader right? but how about that ugly usb drive that doesnt match your setup?

so heres my idea...

i want to buy an empty wii case and an extra stand,
then i want to gut my wd my book (1tb essential edition),
and put the guts into the empty wii case.

i want it to...

use the blue leds on the wd my book to illuminate the disk slot,
utilize the power light on the extra wii case, so that the led is red when the hdd is off and green when it is on.

i also want the hdd to power on and off with the console, but it already does that, so thats not an issue. i just need to keep that intact.

i think i need....
just the empty wii case and the extra stand.

i feel like everything i need is already in the wd my book, and i just need to fit it in to the wii case, and re-run the blue leds so they reach the disk slot.

im a little unsure how to wire the wii case's power light to the hdd power supply, just because i havent taken my wii or my hdd apart yet.

what i need to know...

i really just need a supportive second opinion, some one to tell me if this is as possisble as i think it is, and if im forgetting anything, or would need any thing extra like resistors/capacitors or etc.

any help is appreaciated, and everybody loves helpful links, if you have any of either please hook me up  :tup:

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: what would it take to....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
To wire the light to the hdd light, all you're going to do is wire the led to the existing hdd led on the external case.

Just letting you know, though, there are no lights on the wii case. The power light is on the motherboard.

Offline ColdSoldier

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »
ah suckee, i had a feeling that it would be like that, i understand that the power led is on the mobo, but what about the disk slot, is the light part of the drive itself or does the slot actually have leds.

im guessing the leds are in the drive but i dont know thats why i ask.

oh and thanks for the reply

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
You're very welcome.
The disk slow has its own leds.

Ya know how the whole slot lights up? It uses a piece of plastic that goes over the disk slot and the light shines through that. There is an led at the top and bottom of that. They get their power from a small 2pin connector that connects to the motherboard. All you'd have to do is connect a power source to those leds and you're set, no need for anything else.

Also, I'd like to thank you for this, actually...I just got an idea for my own wii lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal