Author Topic: Soldering Help LED lights and Rapid fire and custom painted controllers  (Read 3793 times)

Offline GunGrave93

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
So to remove the light from what i observed in this video is to heat the side of the light up a bit and add some solder on there it i guess kind of mix it up so its easier to remove and to pick it up with the solder iron.  Is it ok to touch the board around the light?
Removing the LED's from the Xbox 360 controller

To add the light is to just stick the light in the right position and solder it onto it right?

And i havent bought everything, because i got a screwdriver that doesnt fit in the bottom hole =( lol.  Here is a solder kit, do you think it will work ok for attaching & removing led light and rapid fire
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062758

and if i believe i need this kind of solder
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062712

All of that is available in my store so if thats all i need for the rapid fire and removing and adding the led lights.

For led Lights i want Red but is this a good tutorial for other lighting purposes?
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/xbox%20360%20Controller%20LED%20Mod.htm

Can some one give me a website that sells led lights for xbox 360 controller and also i need help with what things i should solder in my controller for rapid fire, heres my version of the controller so if someone could please give me a board with the (im going to call them dots because im a noob at the lol) dots labels for the right soldering spots for rapid fire.

I am using a Matrix controller i guess.. i looked at the pictures and mine was the matrix one heres the photos i used im pretty sure all of you seen them but ill put them up anyways.

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=24699.0

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. lol i know i wrote a lot but i want to know everything before i buy everything and  :censored: it up lol IM SO GLAD IF YOU HELP ME WITH EVERYTHING

oh and almost forgot what is the best paint that works for xbox 360 controller, because i heard that if you dont buy the right paint it will peel off and stick to your fingers and buttons could jam ( i would only figure if your buttons jam then you really dont know how to paint lol) give me the link and or stores that sell it THANKS
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:44:28 AM by GunGrave93 »

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • i live in the country my neigbors are trees.
hmmm ok well for the lights there 0603 surface mount LEDS i got ALOT from http://www.unique-leds.com/ just search 0603 youll find em the brighter the better and make sure there watercolor  not difuesed or its realy dim don't worry there almost all watercolor (clear) and when i did it it took about 4 controllers (and alot of burns) but just have a little drop of solder on one side heat the solder and use tweezers and slide the led in and take the iron off then solder the other side and there polarized so test it first before soldering just unplugg your xbox and turn on your controller so all of the lights keep blinking  yeah just bath the light in solder and it comes off easy and keep the original lights in like a zip-lock bag you might need em someday? and for the paint i used krylon fusion it goes on REALY THICK so just mabye 2 coats at the most and wait 30 secs per pass or youll be in a pool of it but before wet sand it with 800 grit sand paper one coat wetsand with 800-1200 grit sand paper then second and if you want a third coat do the same wetsand after second if you want a nice finish gloss it if you want there are alot of tuts out there that will help better than me on it here are some pics from both mods
light mod

paint mod i did't sand it :\  either and i got mad and i touched it and it got lookin bad whatever i like it red tigerish design

EDIT: and yes it is okay to touch the board in very small time limits if it touchs for about a sec or so its okay don't lay your iron on the board for a holder  goodluck to your modding! :tup: remember it costs alot of money to mod tho so keep a fat walllet :greedy:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:29:49 AM by F4thAcE »

Offline GunGrave93

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
THANKS ALOT, i really mean it, dude. Im going to spraypaint and rapid fire mod first seems easier than the led lights because it sounds like i can really  :censored: up my controller doing that if im not careful enough and i dont have enough money for controller, dont have a job right now because im only 15, i do side jobs for cash.  But again THANKS for all of your help

Oh and your controllers are sick, i love the top one because of the glows

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
glad to help and btw make sure you take the board out of the controller before painting... friend was an idiot and sprayed it buttons and all wanting a black controller it seeped thru the buttons and stuck down i had to open her up and cut out the button the inside controller take off the anilog to clean pads so much stuff... made 20$ out of it tho :P and its not to hard to do the lights just be careful i did it kinda thinking this is a stupid idea im going to break my controller but it turned out nice that controller right there was the first controller i did it turned out nice the red tigerish controller was multicolored but since its black and red i thought the lights should be red best solder job yet looks like stock lights if their not lit  no exess solder or burn marks it just takes a steady hand im working on rapid fire atm 555 timer can't seem to get it to work tho....

Offline GunGrave93

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Haha that sounds like something my friend would do.  I just hope i dont mess it up but if i dont i got another try using a wired controller thats half broke, to use kind of like a test. it disconnects time from time, so if it breaks im cool.  you think i should try doing the led mod in it first to try it?  thanks again

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
oh yeah go for it there not much different wired and wireless and wired if i heard right gives more power than wireless so the leds should work better or be brighter

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
the diferencs is almost 2x the voltage..LOL the leds may not take this voltage and may bnurn out quickly (most likely) the best way to change the LED is to use two irons, one in each hand and heat both sides at the same time, it takes two seconds, if you use the flick method, you chance tearing off the trace. to put them back on, make sure to orient them correctly, 9there is a positive and negative, looking at the led top, you will see a small dot to one side, this is the negative side, place the new led over the solder pads, hold it with a finger from your left hand and touch the iron to one side of the led, then the other.

Offline Ghost In Black

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
Here's a tutorial if you're going to be painting your controller-
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=29566.0
Follow that and you'll be fine. If you only plan on doing one color you can just stop and apply the clear coat after step seven.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:22:07 PM by Ghost In Black »

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
as modded matt seid two is easyer but just put some on the led and tap both sides it changes color and just comes off but if you can get two go for it and there are 0603 irons there like tweezers and when you want to drop em just push down on the top of em and pull up the tweezers cool but expensive...

Offline GunGrave93

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
thanks matt and f4thace for the help and the other guy lol forgot your name for the paint tutorial.  Im going to have everything This upcoming Friday.  So ill see what my controller turns out to be by then.  I already have the led lights but my screwdriver i got was too fat lol so i got to go out and buy the right one.

Thanks again for all the help
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:55:10 AM by GunGrave93 »

Offline Ghost In Black

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
Sure, and post pics when you're done :)

Offline GunGrave93

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
will do but i dont know if it will be done exactly on friday

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
OKAY have fun with your mods and goodluck most of the stuff you do on your controller can be fixed if you mess up... light mod resolder the light onto the board rapid fire to the light if it comes off just put it back on if you break one just order some more paint mod if you mess up just sand it back down and start over and its best to have a 10-15 solder iron but i use a 20 i work fast so it does't matter :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:24:47 AM by F4thAcE »

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
I use 2 soldering irons, like tweezer, i found this to be a great method and it is ok to touch the board with the irons, the Rosin may make the board look burnt however just take a small flat head screwdriver and lightly scrape the rosin off. also it can be frustrating your first time so take it slow.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:37:09 PM by laxboy »

Offline F4thAcE

• Hillbilly Modder
  • Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
I use 2 soldering irons, like tweezer, i found this to be a great method and it is ok to touch the board with the irons, the Rosin may make the board look burnt however just take a small flat head screwdriver and lightly scrape the rosin off. also it can be frustrating your first time so take it slow.

that is't a very good idea you might scrape the green coating off and then youll have open traces wich is't good don't worry about small amounts of solder on the board its okay unless its connecting somthinge thin get a solder braid or bulb whatever you work best with and just suck it off

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
he was refuring to scraping the excess resin off the board not solder..dont scrape solder off, heat it and remove it with a sucker or a braid.....as for removing excess resin, alcohol will take it off...but..dont use resin, none, dont use solder either...I have swaped about 15 sets of LEDS and never use solder or resin. you just reheat the factory solder

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
i never scrape of the solder and this is only if the factory solder comes off with teh removal of the light  otherwise i use the factroy solder, and the reasson i scrape it off is to have a clean workspace and easier to work with. :drunk:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal