Author Topic: How important...  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Kilokk

• In your AM modding your forums
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
  • In the shadows of darkness I stand in the light.
How important...
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »
how important is thermal paste to a computer processor? I know you are supposed to have it, but i forgot to get some... now the comp i was building is kinda useless... unless it isnt REALLY needed. can it be used without temporarily?

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
Re: How important...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 07:05:10 PM »
you risk frying your processor if you do as thermal paste as the name suggests is a paste that vastly improves the conductivity of heat between your processor and the heat sink so i would not recommend using it just go to the shops tomorrow morning - its worth waiting an extra 12 hours instead of risking messing your new build up

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »
Do NOT run your computer without thermal paste on the cpu. Trust me.

Offline Kilokk

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 07:45:40 PM »
well i don't plan on using CAD or anything... if anything, the MOST i would do is firefox after i get the os installed. it is a single core 2.22 ghz processor (hey... it was free xD) 64 bit AMD.  The nearest microcenter is an hour away, and my mother said she wont take me their again for about a month.  I do not have my license yet so...

If its that big of an issue i wont run it, but if i can at least get the OS installed i would be a happy person.  had the components for a long time now, basically just want to make sure they work.

guess i will take your word for it guys...

Offline Bhawan

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »
well i don't plan on using CAD or anything... if anything, the MOST i would do is firefox after i get the os installed. it is a single core 2.22 ghz processor (hey... it was free xD) 64 bit AMD.  The nearest microcenter is an hour away, and my mother said she wont take me their again for about a month.  I do not have my license yet so...

If its that big of an issue i wont run it, but if i can at least get the OS installed i would be a happy person.  had the components for a long time now, basically just want to make sure they work.

guess i will take your word for it guys...
well also, some CPUs come with thermal paste pre-applied on them so, check for that as swell.

thanks chase for this sig =)
I miss my dragon lol....

Offline Kilokk

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »
the cpu has some on it, as does the heatsink, but they were not bonded by it. (got the cpu from a guy i work with, and the heatsink from a good friend.)  ah well though... I just hope everything works...

is it gonna fry if i dont use a 64 bit OS on it?  its a AMD athlon 64 processor (not sure EXACTLY which one) but unless i am mistaken, as it would be using a 32 bit windows OS it shouldn't get too hot, am i right?  if I am indeed mistaken please let me know.  i'm not gonna risk it, but i am curious now ^_^

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »
64 bit processors only mean they're CAPABLE of running 64 bit operating systems. It doesn't mean you need it.
The heat has nothing to do with the OS.

Offline VoX

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »
Don't risk it, ever. Clean the current thermal paste off the CPU and the heat sink, use alcohol to get it off, and then apply some Arctic Silver onto the CPU. If it doesn't fry it, I will severely decrease the life of the CPU.

I don't believe a 32bit operating system on a 64bit processor will decrease the heat on the chip. Its the programs you run that pull a lot of resources that heat it up. Also, it will not fry if you use a 32Bit OS on a 64Bit processor, I'm doing so now and have been for a while.

Offline Kilokk

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 08:48:03 PM »
Oh ok ^_^ well now i kinda understand :) 

I have more knowledge than your average user, but I had to quit school in the middle of my A+ course (very early on, as you can see)

is this good enough for me? http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0209774
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:50:52 PM by Kilokk »

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
may I recomend arctic silver.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Kilokk

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »
well like i said, i wont be running cad or anything... the most i will do is the sims 3 lol

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:07:11 AM »
It doesn't matter. Sims 3 is a VERY resource intensive game I've heard, by the way.

Just get Arctic Silver. You'll regret getting anything less.

Offline PhenomenalDesigns

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »
Unless the heatsink is one of those stock ones that have it pre installed, though not as good as arctic silver, get some thermal paste

Im using one of the stocks, and been running just fine for years, just that I cant really overclock with it and it gets hot at times, however im building a new computer tommorow, using stock cooler for a while, then OC'ing it with another cooler and arctic silver

Hoi! Pinoy ako!

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24:29 AM »
there are also thermal pads that claim to be as effective as Artic Silver.  I cant vouch for em, but I will say that if performance is as they say, they would take out some the variables of applying the paste (too thick or thin).

didnt find any comparison links but I have seen several threads on various forums that weigh the advantages and disadvantages.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »
it doesnt matter what you want to run, or if you dont run anything, its still going to heat up, it is still energised upon start up. you need to wait untill this can be corected, dont try installing the os or even powering the system for more than a few moments.

I have been told never used that the pads are better for the same reasons chives stated above, but cannot vouch for them either, artic silver is what you want. you may not run cad, but wouldnt you want to if the need arose?

Offline DarkShot

• I approve your mom
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • ÜBERRAPESKILLETS
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »
Keep in mind that web-browsers can be resource hogs too.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »
yup, believe it or not I think the most taxing program I use at home is MSN messenger :boxed:

I wouldnt power those chips for even a second, if you have ever done the overheat thing with an xbox 360 and felt the chips, it takes litteraly like 3 seconds to get em up to temp to the point where you cant touch them(due to there being very little thermal mass on processors)

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
not sure about the rest of you guys but one of my dell computers heat sinks got knocked loose during a move and when i went to power the rig up it shut it self back down after a few seconds. most mobos bios will attempt to prevent to much damage to the components

Offline Kilokk

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:25 AM »
well i waited and thanks to all of you who told me to.  this comp is the most powerful one i have ever used (and that is VERY SAD!!!) it just needs more rams ^_^

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 06:29:29 AM »
not sure about the rest of you guys but one of my dell computers heat sinks got knocked loose during a move and when i went to power the rig up it shut it self back down after a few seconds. most mobos bios will attempt to prevent to much damage to the components
Tec_ raises a good point.  most chips and processors have tons of safety features like over temperature shutdown and under voltage lockouts these days. so probably you wouldnt have made it very far even if you tried.

Offline Kilokk

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 08:32:52 PM »
well its an 05 mobo so...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal