Author Topic: Internal HD acting as Portable Device  (Read 1700 times)

Offline ZxPwn

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Internal HD acting as Portable Device
« on: June 28, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
Hi, i had this idea of adding an old 20GB IDE hard drive i have lying around and adding it inside my 360, which when a switch is in the on position, it will allow that 20GB hard drive to be used as the Portable Device on the numerous librarys. Like, if theres movies on the HDD and its on, just like you would when plugging in a USB it will be accessable via Portable Device, instead it would be the HDD.

Just wanted to know if this would be possible?

Offline taylorclark

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
    • myspace
Re: Internal HD acting as Portable Device
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »
If you mean use your IDE hhd as your hdd that you store gamesaves and your gamertag on, then no. Currently only certain types of hard drives can be used for this, and getting these drives to work is no easy process, and some of the files are illegal to get online.
Gamertag- titan501x

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:04:43 AM »
i think he means like how if you plug in an ipod you can use it to listen to music...just with this he wants to be able to watch movies, and listen to music, etc.

Offline Rory

• ZOMG, A Deda!!!!!
  • Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Eyy lmao
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:22:28 AM »
Internalise one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002. Wire it to your back USB port.

Let us know how it goes man :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:27:07 AM by Rory »
Quote from: IndyChav
I think that the king of spam should be immune to the punishment for posting spam everywhere, so post away Rory :tup:
Quote from: FreeK
couldnt of said it any better.

Offline dice888

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »
guys I was reading and I wanted to ask. can I use 2 120gb hard drive one internal and one external and will they act as one? and also will I have problems with microsoft like banning me?

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 10:11:46 AM »
you cannot add any HDD and have it work as the HDD for your xbox360.  If it is a USB device addon the 360 should be able to recognize as a portable device but will be useless for gamesaves and game content. not sure if you can play movies from a portable device.

Like taylor said, there are a couple specific models of hardrives that can be swapped with your xbox HDD, but be warned you need to copy the image from the existing drive to the new one, and if the new one is bigger then the existing one, you need an apporpriate image for that size(options being 20gb 60gb or 120gb).  it is not an easy undertaking for most, and long story short if it was easy to do no one would buy M$ over inflated HDD.  the specific models of HDD have long been bought up and are now being sold from profiteers on ebay and modding sites. So when it comes right to it, this type of mod wont save you any $$ in the long run. hence why you guys wont find much about this type of mod.

Offline Rory

• ZOMG, A Deda!!!!!
  • Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Eyy lmao
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
You can't download any Marketplace software to it.
You would have to put it all on the drive by a computer manually.

You can watch videos from it, but as i said, has to be taken off a computer.
Quote from: IndyChav
I think that the king of spam should be immune to the punishment for posting spam everywhere, so post away Rory :tup:
Quote from: FreeK
couldnt of said it any better.

Offline dice888

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
I don't think u understood me. I'm talking about 2 120gb original xbox hdd acting as one to the ultimate goal of 240gb. but instead of having them both as outside one inside and one normally outside. I just havent done it cause I don't want Microsoft to bann me when they see 240gb. my question is: is it possible to do it without getting banned?

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »
your question should be is it possible, and the answer is no. nevermind the banning part of it, the fact of the matter is that unless microsoft releases a 240gb hard drive you wont be able get the 360 to recognize more then 120gb HDD reguardless of if it was actually possible to make two harddrives be recognized as one.

if it was simple to edit the image of the hardrive to allow a higher capacity, then I would tell you probably M$ would be able to tell and would probably ban you.

However your bigger issue is making two harddrives into one on the hardware level. It is not doable without additional design of a controller that can address those drives idividually depending on where you are sending or taking information to and from.

So there are two problems with your mod, one the image size isnt changable at this time and if it was you would get caught.  the second is that what you want with two harddrives isnt possible on a hardware level without designing a rather complicated highspeed information switch that would take even a company like seagate a long time to design with teams of engineers.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:23:40 PM by 802Chives »

Offline dice888

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 02:10:51 PM »
lol I guess I didnt put my small brain to work and didnt think that far into the mod. but I should have known better and what u say its right. I dont know what I was thinking. I guess I just have my brain crowded with the other projects I have going on that I treated the hard drives like flash drives? my bad

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
IDE to USB converter will do it.BADABING!
Derp.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal