Author Topic: I need some advice  (Read 1613 times)

Offline DUKE

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
I need some advice
« on: August 31, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »
I am starting my senior year of high school real soon and it has been brought to my attention that I have no idea what I want to do with my life after school gets out.

I absolutly love working with computers and anything that has to do with technology.

I know there alot of smart guys on here and most have real good jobs in the computer field, so i was just wondering what sort of jobs you guys could recommend because there are so many to choose from I am just a bit overwelmed.

The thing that caught my attention the most is software engineering, I did a little reading on it and it peaked my interest.

So any info would be great!

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
Re: I need some advice
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 01:55:54 PM »
Now, I am only a freshman in high school, but you could do what I am basing my whole schedule on(but for college) is engineering. But then it all depends which KIND of engineering you want to do, if you want to do software engineering, you would probably want to take a few programming courses.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »
are you going to go to college or trade school?

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »
hey im heading to university (second times a charm) and i still dont have any real idea of that i want to do. you should just do what you love and enjoy and let the rest take care of itself

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »
weird, i'm in the same boat as duke here... lyfeswierdlykethathuh?

i suppose engineering... one type of them

software engineer is good, they're always needed for a variety of companies for commercial or proprietary software

Offline DUKE

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »
I was either thinking of going to MSU, which is a univerity here in michigan or ITT tech but i don't know much about them

Offline scott

• U.S. Army
  • Registered BST
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »
If a military career in engineering ever crosses your mind. Let me know.

This is my field (and chives) We would be glad to help you out.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 06:51:13 PM »
well I am partial to electrical engineering cuz it can be very rewarding and creative. I personally wouldnt wish software engineering on anyone as I think it can be depressing and introverted as you have to be in front of a computer all the time... not that it isnt rewarding in its own rights, however most of the good software engineers I know didnt go to school to become an software engineer.  I like writing software and my sister is a software engineer, however neither of started out with that in mind, it just kind of happens. Whatever floats your boat tho if the idea of writting code at a computer all day is apealing then by all means go for it.

I currently work as a sub-contractor for the military and our company makes identification devices that keep our soldiers alive.  That is very rewarding and the company consists of optical, mechanical, and electrical engineers. I think going into an engineering field is a smart choice as there is a lot work for us out there, but you got to work hard.  Just about anyone can go through school these days and get a degree, but what will make ur degree better is by working hard and maximizing what you take away from your schooling.  Good luck and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Offline DUKE

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »
802Chives, what does your job consist of, what would a normal day of work be like. I also forgot to mention that next to computers I love working with my hands and creating things, which is what brought me to acodmods in the first place. So any job that would mix the two would be awesome.

Offline DarkShot

• I approve your mom
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • ÜBERRAPESKILLETS
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
Same boat here too DUKE. Senior Year.

I'd say do what you honestly would love to do, and don't back down because someone frowned on it. It's your life, your choice.

I'm stressing this because I know of a few friends who were buggered into aiming for something else that they don't want to do. By their parents.

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »
Junior Year here, started 3rd year of drafting and design. I want to become a robotics engineer, Its a balance of software and mechanical engineer. look up the company ss white burs. they make drill bits for dentistry. i met one of the enginners, teofil spora. when he came, only 10% of the company was done by machines / robots. Now, the company runs %95 percent robots, 5% staff! its very rewarding, and also lucrative if you start your own for manufacturing buisness for somthing. He programs in C++, and asembles the machines.
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline DUKE

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »
Junior Year here, started 3rd year of drafting and design. I want to become a robotics engineer, Its a balance of software and mechanical engineer. look up the company ss white burs. they make drill bits for dentistry. i met one of the enginners, teofil spora. when he came, only 10% of the company was done by machines / robots. Now, the company runs %95 percent robots, 5% staff! its very rewarding, and also lucrative if you start your own for manufacturing buisness for somthing. He programs in C++, and asembles the machines.

sounds interesting I will look into it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal