Author Topic: firmware mod so you can plat burnt games or backups  (Read 1376 times)

Offline rulemob

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
firmware mod so you can plat burnt games or backups
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:36:33 AM »
I'm reading on some sites that firmware flashes will enable you to play backup games on live and otherwise. Has anyone tried this? and does it work? I used to do direct tv many years ago if anyone knows what "black sunday" means then you know what im talking about. I also did dishnet up to about 4 years ago. Anyway if anyoone knows anything here please reply and PM me cause I have the know how to try this this just not the brains to put it all together.

Offline 40_ounce

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: firmware mod so you can plat burnt games or backups
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »
It can be done. We need to know what dvd drive you have. Look here  http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm to find out what dvd drive you have. Or you can open your box and find out.

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
Discussing means of playing backups is not allowed here... to discuss either PM each other or talk on IM
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »
backups is a grey area here on AcidMods it has been discussed many times but no decision has been made. I can flash xboxes. Please send me a PM if you are interested and try to keep it off the boards and it private

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:50:56 AM »
backups are allowed to be discussed, although it is a grey area that has yet to really be played out under the Digital Media Copyright Act (DMCA).  Technically under the DMCA you arent allowed to circumvent any sort of protection software period.  Hardware hacks are completely legal, however other then LEDs and Rapidfire, very few of the hacks posted on the webz do not include modifying of Firmware which falls right into the trap set by the protections in place for software as firmware is software any way you want to look at it.

Now the DMCA is still young and is full of infringments on the rights of the consumer.  There is the Digital Media Consumers Rights bill that has been proposed the directly disputes many portions of the DMCA however even this act as yet to be played out in courts.  Along with many other cases that are currently being looked at the DMCA is just a political stunt in order to change society by way of legislation.  History has proven that a simple law does very little for social engineering and societal influences need to be adjusted as laws and taxes are a piss poor way to shape a society. /rant hahaha

Until I see evidence of someone being brought to court for simply modifying there console in order to play a single backup of each legally owned game, this area remains open for discussion.  If sony and M$ want to offer a lifetime license for each game purchased then I will shut down all talks of backups, however I dont see any scratched game trade in programs at the moment, and the consumer deserves the right protect their investment over their own lifetime or lifetime of the product which is by all intesive purposes till the end of time for software as digital information does not degrade over time.

I am weary of the DMCA as I think the day will come where the corporate interests will yet again be put above the consumers god given rights.  Anyone remember the Patriot Act?

here is an article that you can take for what it is worth:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/modder-arrest-a-reminder-that-most-console-hacks-are-illegal.ars

I will be doing more research in order to possibly refine our policy to conform with some of these court cases that are setting precedence for modders being jailed for their work.  Ars Technica thinks that the distribution of the tools required to perform these so called illegal acts are incriminating in themselves so I can already see this gray area becoming black.

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »
very well said Chives  :cool: i think your exact post needs to be copied and pasted to a new topic and stickied in all the console sections, or at least announcements  :victory:

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »
thanks blackburn, too often i see the "you are allowed 1 backup of a game you own" phrase thrown around and no citation to a credible source.  Still havnt seen that in the fine print, and it seems that it may not be in the fine print.

Like I said I will continue to look into this and will make a post with my findings. Lets hope for our members sake, that consumer rights will prevail.

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »
agreed.  :drunk:

All Sigs Made by ME!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal