Author Topic: USB host OTG?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
USB host OTG?
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:23:15 AM »
http://www.ownta.com/onda-vx565hd-portable-media-mp4-player-with-tv-out-and-otg-function-8gb.html
alright I'm a little bit confused on the whole usb host OTG thing.  You see this pmp player says it has usb host OTG and I'm thinking that it lets you hook up usb devices and use their storage as the pmp's own storage (as sort of an expansion to memory).  So say I would be able to go out and put a 500gb portable usb hard drive and use it as memory for this thing without having to use a computer? or does it just let me swap files?

Any help is appreciated.  I'm just trying to find a cheaper way to make a decent pmp player with a lot of storage.  I figured if that's what USB host OTG lets me do I'll build a custom case and have a usb hub with memory card ports and a 500gb hard drive.  Sure it would be a little bit bulky but I figured at least I wouldn't be spending more then $400 for it then I would on the archos.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:26:03 AM by Tri-edge »

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
Re: USB host OTG?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:33:06 AM »
Yes , basically what the OTG spec guarantees is that a Host device will be able to recognize and access the Slave device. However , the implementation can make a HUGE difference.

The Pandora can access and use files from any external  media player. but certain OTG devices can only copy paste data from them or in worst case , just dump data on them. Case in point being the Apple Photo Adaptor for the iPod. What it basically does is make ur iPod an OTG device and copy over all images from your camera via PictBridge... You get no control whatsoever.

The link seems to be down but from what i can make of it... u SHOULD be able to run mp4 files directly from a drive....However it would be better if u contacted the manufacturer.

you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »
the link works for me.   Thanks though dhruv now I know it's possible.  I just got to research the device a little more then maybe I'll buy it and then try modding it.

and here's the specs just in case you or anybody else can't get it to work
Onda VX565HD Portable Media MP4 Player with TV-out and OTG Function - 8GB
Onda offers this VX565HD portable media player that comes with a 5-inch 480×272 LCD touchscreen. The player features 720p decoding and supports RM/RMVB, AVI, FLV video files. It supports also MP3, WAV, WMA, FLAC audio and JPG, BMP and PNG image files.The VX565HD has built-in FM tuner and microphone for voice recording. It also reads e-book files. The VX565HD uses USB 2.0 interface and supports USB HOST OTG function. It has a microSD card slot.
Onda VX565HD MP4 Player Specifications:
Basic parameters
Model   VX565HD (8G)
Memory capacity   8G
Storage medium   Flash memory
Battery   Built-in lithium battery
Expansion card   Support for expansion cards, the highest support 32GB Micro SD card expansion
Transmission Interface   USB 2.0 interface
Display System
Screen Size   5 inches
Screen Characteristics   Standard screen, 16 million color, 480 × 272 resolution, button operation
Synchronized lyrics display   Support synchronous lyrics display
Photo browser   Support picture browsing, JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG
Text-reading   Support the text-reading function
Video system
Support for video formats   RM, RMVB, AVI, FLV video player, etc.
Video playback   10M rate bit stream to support 720P (1280 × 720) resolution
Video output   Support video output functions
Flash Animation   Flash animation playback support
Audio system
Audio format support   mp3, wma, ape, FLAC, OGG, wav, AMR
Audio   Support the general, popular, rock, metal, dance, electronic music, country music, jazz ancient Code of music, blues, nostalgia music, opera, conversation, 3D sound, SRS audio support
Recording function   Support the recording function
FM function   Support FM function and support function of vehicle launch FM
Other audio parameters   CS42L52 audio chip
Additional features
Other parameters
Other properties   Support firmware upgrade function;
Support the use of integrated design;
Support OTG function, can be connected to digital devices to view multimedia files, complex, paste, delete and other operations.
Onda VX565HD MP4 Player Package Contains :
1 x Onda VX565HD MP4 player
1 x USB cable
1 x Earphones
1 x TV-out cable
1 x Instruction manual

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:35 PM »
Seems like an interesting device though 480X272 on a 5" screen is a bit less imo.... Any idea what CPU it is using ? Might be a Cortex A8 coz it is capable of 720p  playback.
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:14:26 AM »
I don't plan on getting this one because of that anyways.  I just used it as an example.  I'm thinking about get the SmartQ 5 (it runs linux) which supports USB OTG. but there's another one coming out soon that I want to see before spending a $130 on the SmartQ.

http://mp4nation.net/blog/2009/09/teclast-hit-full-hd-with-the-t56/
I don't know if it will have a touchscreen or not but I'm liking this one so far. 

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:27:17 AM »
Wow , thats really awesome...

Any price details ?
  you look like a carrot.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »
Not yet.  We still don't know when it's going to be sold yet either. :sadno:

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »
Yeah it was on Engadget yesterday... really cool device.
  you look like a carrot.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »
BUMP:  I know this is a little bit old but I haven't forgot about it but I FOUND IT!
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.imp3.net/1/show.php%3Fitemid%3D25728&rurl=translate.google.com
this IS the pmp I want.  it allows you to have usb drives to act as storage, it plays all the codacs (even mkv), it has a high resoluction screen (800x480!),  AND to top it off to boot it has my favorite UI the PSP!

Okay I know the UI isn't going to be as good as the psp but at least it's not a weird UI like some of the others.   To me the psp has the greatest user interface in the world and others should try and imitate it and make it better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal