Author Topic: short throw trigger  (Read 2500 times)

Offline dan586

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
short throw trigger
« on: November 16, 2009, 01:49:10 AM »
sorry if this is a dumb/already asked question..
im interested in moding my controller so that the right trigger button registers a trigger pull earlier, in effect shortening the throw. i have not broke my controller open, and am unfamiliar with the internals, so im asking a somewhat blind question here (dont have the cash to replace a junked controller if i can help it, dont want to risk it until i have an idea of whats up). i am not interested in adding a momentary switch to the controller, just want to work on the existing one. thanks for any help in advance.
edit-controller is matrix
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:00:39 PM by dan586 »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: short throw trigger
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:12:58 AM »
never got that request yet?? LOL I would assume you could apply a small amount of voltage to the wiper, you would have to find where it reads a trigger pull signal. and apply a voltage just below that point, then when you start to pull the trigger and the pot applies additional voltage to the wiper it reads as an early pull.

Offline dan586

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
ok great, im sure something like that has been covered here...could u point me in the right direction? when it comes to electrical im crap and i cant find anything relevent to help me figure out where to go from here

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
ok well i never tested this but matt thats one way  correct me if im wrong matt but could he not just add a slight hieght to the pushpin button on the motherboard. This would cause the trigger to respond early.

Offline dan586

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:59:49 AM »
assuming the wireless ms controller works in the same fashion as a cheap wired off brand i had to toy with... i was thinking maybe if i could swap in a slightly shorter trigger spring of about the same strength, or snip some coils it would do what i was wanting.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:18:54 AM »
the triggers dont work in the way you guys are describing, please read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

for a better understanding of how the trigger works.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »
this can be done by breaking your connection on one side of the trigger potentiometer and adding in a resistor.

the potentiometer acts like a voltage divider depending on what controller you have, the trigger pin will read between 1.5V and 0V(when it is pressed or not pressed and in between).  depending on whether you have a matrix or CG controller you can trim voltage reading to like 1.5V-0.5V so that the trigger looks like it is slightly pulled when it isnt.  matrix and CG are opposite logic so if the matrix reads 1.5V when the trigger is pressed then the CG will read 1.5V when the trigger is not pressed.

What kinda controller you got?

Offline dan586

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »
ok so about potentiometers... assuming no pull is 0 and full pull is 1.5...
lets say that i did use a shorter spring, as far as i can wrap my head around this since im unfamiliar with this sort of thing- either 1) the controller will still register 1.5 at no pull, but will not have enough total travel to ever reach zero, and thus never register a fire assuming that a fire is registered at 0. or 2) the controller will register a number lesser than 1.5 (lets say 1.3) at no pull and will read zero at full pull, in effect achieving the shorter pull im looking for.

i just read the previous post and didnt even know any difference between the controllers aside from a tp2 or tp3 viewed through the battery slot. im assuming this is what u are speaking of, ill read more on this so i know what you are talking about. i dont want to be that guy that asks every little question before trying to learn for myself. thanks for the help so far guys, i appreciate it.
edit- controller is matrix
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:01:11 PM by dan586 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal