Author Topic: Turbo Analog Sticks....  (Read 4323 times)

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
Turbo Analog Sticks....
« on: November 22, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
This is an idea im just throwing out here because i was thinking what if you wanted to turn EXACTLY UP or Down, and LEFT or RIGHT as quick as possible on the push of a button?

in theory this can be for any type of controller that uses Analog sticks with a resistor called a potentiometer. What is needed to be done is to simple "short" the Resistor on the analog stick to quickly move it up, down, left, right.

Analog sticks usually have 2 potentiometers for the X and Y axis. what I mean by Usually is because sometimes analog joysticks can swivel adding the third type of movement on the Z axis.

If anybody thinks this is a sweet idea i will post more. I might edit this post adding a few schematics.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: Turbo Analog Sticks....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »
It can probably be done pretty simply be using a 555 timer or a rapidfire chip, after all it's the same concept.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »
actually think about it a bit more. it won't need a 555 or rapidfire if all is needed is a few push buttons. primarily eight, four for each analog stick.

Today i was thinking what if someone accidentally pushed both buttons for one of the axis because that will short out the battery or the power supply. Check the diagram below. If Both Switches were to be pressed then the positive 2.5v will flow through the path of low resistance which is through the purple part of the diagram to the common.

Here are pictures to help show what im talking about:

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »
Hm. It sounds like it might work that way. I'm not all that familiar with analog sticks, so I can't really say.

Are you gonna try it out? I'd love to see if this works or not. I've got other stuff I'm currently working on or I'd test it for you.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:23:49 PM »
interesting ????

but my only question is what use would this be during actual game play?????

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:57:06 AM by spurgurgle »

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »
Some games like MW2 don't have a button you can press so that you can "pivot" like you can in certain games. It's like a button you can press to turn 180 degrees really fast.
This could be used as something like that (even though it's not a perfect 180 degrees)

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »
Some games like MW2 don't have a button you can press so that you can "pivot" like you can in certain games. It's like a button you can press to turn 180 degrees really fast.
This could be used as something like that (even though it's not a perfect 180 degrees)

Yes you're absolutely correct, but What-If a programmable micro controller(PLC) was included with the solution. Theoretically you CAN spin around in increments of 180o or 90o.

Think of how powerful this can be in FPS games like MW2 and Halo3.

Also another advantage is this completely removes the time it takes for the thumb to move the analog stick that extra 1/4 inch side to side.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »
yea but wont it be limited by the by sensitivity set by the game?
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »
Thats true. i want to try something though before anything is said about the game sensitivity limit.

Theory: If Voltage is applied to the pot with an abnormal electrical potential i just want to see what it will do. it might go faster than anticipated; who knows a controller's A/D Converter might not use all of it's digital outputs.

For Example:
An imaginary controller that uses a 128bit A/D Converter that only uses 110bits to to carry the analog stick information. 55bits are for turning left and the other 55bits are for turning right. There are Extra 18 data slots open for use; so 9bits extra for each to turn.

im working on a wireless xbox360 controller right now and about to test it on Halo3.

Offline t0pP8uZz

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Programmer / Security Expert
    • http://milw0rm.com/author/1141
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
yea but wont it be limited by the by sensitivity set by the game?

Correct.. I could code something up. But somethings will HAVE to be changed depending on which game it is.. Or even if it is the same game people play on diffrent senseitivitys.. which would effect the mod.. Since the only real way how to do this is usuing precise timing.. IE: default cod4/5/6 is 3.. I play on 5.

And like COD most people play on default.. Having a extra button just for doing a 180 is silly.. since you can do that soo easily yourself. No matter what voltage you give potentiometer it isnt going to speed things up.. Obviously its capped to a certain speed. And you cant drive that any faster.

It could be usefull for things like NO Scoping in COD/4/5/6 And i actually no scope alot in these games and im pretty damn good at it.. Ever seen the montages where people pull off 360's/720's whilst jumping from a roof then killing someone? well having a button that would do a 720/360.. on high sensitivty will put you exacly back to where you was aiming to begin with.. thus pulling of the ultimate shots.

But..How many people is going to use this.. Its probarly not worth the code.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »
I play on the custom speed one under very high, I have pulled off my fair share of collateral no-scopes :)
spurgurgle I was thinking of a mod like that where one programed tact switch, when pressed would cause you to do a 360 on a set sensitity (also if you wanted 180 lower sensitivity in game), like a humiliation code. I mean it wouldn't be perfect as you have like 1/2 a second to set yourself up in a real situation, but it would certainly help with discordination.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:50:05 AM by GhoSt_Death »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »
, like a humiliation code.

now thats cool i like humiliating people who are easy kills...

my preference is the t-BAG (halo) i did set up a rf on a tact for the left anolog click to t-bag in halo it was funny for a while .......

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline t0pP8uZz

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Programmer / Security Expert
    • http://milw0rm.com/author/1141
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 05:46:05 PM »
Heh actually my first mod was a 555 Timer with on the analog stick  :laughing:

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
I have been bread boarding all day yesterday and today this is what i have come up with in Figure1

Let me explain how it works. R1 and R2 Control the Gate Voltage to the transistor. The Transistor controls the voltage through the Source(S) to the Drain(D) by the Gate(G). When the Gate is low voltage then the Drain to common Voltage is dropped in a non-linear fashion.

The 4066B Bilateral Switch and the 4011B NAND Gate are protection so if switch 1 and switch 2 are pressed at the same time its to prevent the battery from shorting out or confusing the controller's A/D converter.

R5 and R8 are to control the amount of current through the transistor, we don't want it to heat up so putting a resistor across source to common controls this.

R4 and R7 will drop voltage to the analog stick to be on the safe side so to be sure to not burn out the A/D converter. You can Experiment with this value a bit to control Sensitivity. I wouldn't go lower than 0.5 Ohms.

R3 and C1 are to protect the N-JFET Transistor from spikes of voltage drop when S1 and S2 are pressed. the Cap Absorbs incoming spikes and discharges it slowly through R3; R3 can be increased to Save Battery Life.

The RED Wave in Figure2 is what you see when ether switch1 or switch2 is pressed. Compared to using the analog stick as a Human normally Shown in GREEN.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal