Author Topic: Builiding PC. Help.? Feedback.?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline G.R.E.A.M

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Mod to Improve not to Impress. For now :D
Builiding PC. Help.? Feedback.?
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »
Hey everyone.!
Well today I woke up and decided that $8?? would be a nice amount of money to spend on my christmas gift. lol. I've been wanting a NICE PC/HTPC for a long time, so I'm going to be making one for myself.  :tup:

Here's my parts list as of today:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

MSI NF980-G65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236

RAIDMAX SMILODON http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136358

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495

LINKSYS WMP600N http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124342

Sony Optiarc Black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116752

What do you guys think.?

I'm not a gamer, but I'm kinda interested in getting into gaming. Anyone know of a good videocard for gaming and playing high quality video on a LCD TV.?

Green.Rules.Everything.Around.Me

Offline P3nnyw1se

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • AcidMaG
    • Myspace
Re: Builiding PC. Help.? Feedback.?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:26:06 PM »
Asus or XFX, really good brands for gaming cards.

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • OH NO MY CHITTY CHICKEN, NOO NOT MY CHITTY BEEF
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339
u could do a tri sli if u wanted.
but one would be good for now
i liek pny plus it has a gig over 512
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133304
get 2 of thos badboys and sli them
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:20:12 PM by budgray19 »

Offline G.R.E.A.M

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:01 PM »
I just ordered all my stuff and may I say OMG I went a little over board with this one  :fear:.
Well its kind of late I got school tomorrow and a whole day to regret what I just did so I will post everything I ordered tomorrow. by the way I didn't get a videocard  :cry2: but its okay I got something BETTER.!! lol

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:23:18 PM »
did u get atric silver 5 thermal compound and a good heatsink fan

Offline G.R.E.A.M

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 01:34:38 PM »
I have arctic silver 5 thermal paste already  :tup: big tube of it lol. As for the heatsink fan no I didn't but I don't think I will need it. My case has plenty of fans and I am not going to be doing to much with this PC yet so it shouldn't be a problem for now. FOR NOW. maybe when I get my videocard(s) I'll upgrade it.

and by "heatsink fan" I am guessing you meant heatsink w/fan. idk

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »
umm u r aware that most modern mobos wont allow u to startup without a heatsink fan hooked up.
and good vent or not. no cpu fan is a VERY bad idea. i would HIGHLY not recommend it even if u got another fan to connect to it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887002
what i have. keeps my quad core under 45c
it fits teh Socket LGA775
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:03:23 AM by budgray19 »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 04:57:55 AM »
the heat sink will not just magically cool the prosessor. the heat sink must have a fan pulling the heat through the fins to cool the unit. it dont matter what you are doingwith the pc, if you turn it on, you must have this. as I would assume since your building this pc, it mostlikely dont have the proper thermal sensors there to shut the system down, and will just cook the chip.

although you are welcome to try it your way..we just advise against it.

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
actually alot of newer mobos have a failsafe in them. it shuts the cpu down if it gets too hot

Offline G.R.E.A.M

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »
ummm... I'm not that stupid guys. The processor does come with a stock heatsink w/fan. I'm going to be using that. I'm taking a class for this stuff I do know basics just not an expert.

But anyways here's everything I ordered.

• AMD Phenom IIx4 955 BE: $165.

• RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel: $69.99
  • Hanns·G HH-241HPB Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor: $189.99

• OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2: $94.99
  • Sony Optiarc Black: $26.99
  • WIRELESS ADAPTER LINKSYS|WMP600N: $64.99
  • OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600: $109.99

• ASUS PC TV Card My Cinema PHC3-150/NAQ/AV/RC/NSW PCI Interface: $79.99
  • MB MSI NF980-G65 AM3: $159.99
  • Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB: $54.99
  • Windows 7 home premium OEM: $104.99
Grand Total: $1187.35

Each little section is a different shipment. Funny thing bout this is I got five tracking numbers. The extra unaccountable one weights 28.0 Lbs. Any ideas?

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »
i just completed a build very similar to that one, and i gotta say i love it to death. same case, cpu line and everything, the only really major differences are my lack of tuner and wireless adaptor, 64 bit windows 7,and i bought a 5770 and spent a little less on some of the other parts. cable management in that thing is kind of a pain but other than that i like it. you have good taste :tup: buuuuttttttttt i noticed you listed the 32 bit version of windows 7 and 4 gigs of ram. correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't 32 bit only recognize 3.5gigs(3.37 usable) of ram? probably won't be that big of a deal, just thought i'd throw that out there.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:40:48 PM by jacobia jacob »

Offline G.R.E.A.M

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »
Thank you my man. You have good taste yourself lol. FML I thought it supported 4gb max BUT I just double checked and its "4gb" max in reality 3.5gb. dam well we found my first mistake. What can I say it is my first EVER build. I was kinda planning on returning this OS if I can get a free copy lol. I didn't say that if anyone asks...shhhhhh. Well if worst comes to worst I'll try and get newegg to trade it or return and buy the 64-bit.

Thanks for the tip. Thanks alot you saved my butt.  :drunk:

EDIT: I looked into it and I am going to keep the 32-bit OS and try and get a free copy of the 64-bit to try and dual-boot them. Anyone have experience with this?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:04:42 PM by G.R.E.A.M »

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »
My friend used to have that case and it is not good. The case is low quality and the inside is small. The grills for the fans restrict a lot of air.

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 01:36:07 PM »
really? cuz i had no problem getting anything to fit, with the exception of a really large cpu cooler which neither of us are using. i'm no expert on airflow, but when i stick my hand in there i can definitely feel it movin, and thats without the side fan and dirk tooth fan blowing on it. i'm not saying its any super epic case but for what G.R.E.A.M and I are using it for it does the job just fine. feels nice and solid, so i declare it a win :#1:

as for dual booting I only have experience with windows and linux, but the basic idea is to create 2 different partitions and install an os on each of them, then have a menu to choose from them at startup. with ubuntu, you can boot from a live disc and there's a built in partition editor to use, and you just resize the single one you have now to have however much space you want, and use the leftover space for a second partition and install your os onto that. i wouldn't recommend dual booting two of the same version of windows, if you have access to the 64 bit version i would just install that and ditch 32 bit.

Offline ModderDmo

• Straight Cheddar
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • If you can't open it, you don't own it.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Jacobia Jacob. Just wait until you have a 64-bit version before you format and install anything. In my own opinion, dual-boots are really annoying, unless it is for a purpose, for example, for school or for testing software for a review.

Offline G.R.E.A.M

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 05:10:48 PM »
My friend used to have that case and it is not good. The case is low quality and the inside is small. The grills for the fans restrict a lot of air.

Thanks for the opinion. Can't give mine till I get the DAM thing.

really? cuz i had no problem getting anything to fit, with the exception of a really large cpu cooler which neither of us are using. i'm no expert on airflow, but when i stick my hand in there i can definitely feel it movin, and thats without the side fan and dirk tooth fan blowing on it. i'm not saying its any super epic case but for what G.R.E.A.M and I are using it for it does the job just fine. feels nice and solid, so i declare it a win :#1:

as for dual booting I only have experience with windows and linux, but the basic idea is to create 2 different partitions and install an os on each of them, then have a menu to choose from them at startup. with ubuntu, you can boot from a live disc and there's a built in partition editor to use, and you just resize the single one you have now to have however much space you want, and use the leftover space for a second partition and install your os onto that. i wouldn't recommend dual booting two of the same version of windows, if you have access to the 64 bit version i would just install that and ditch 32 bit.

Thanks alot for the back up.! lol. As for the dual boot I plan on doing it for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of windows 7 because of the little differences. like compatibilities. IF I did get it to work with the 32-bit and 64-bit I was thinking bout having windows xp and vista on here too.

Only time will tell what I will be doing with this. I already have the 32-bit and 64-bit versions thing is I don't know if they work. Their "free" copy's so you never know.

Yeah, I agree with Jacobia Jacob. Just wait until you have a 64-bit version before you format and install anything. In my own opinion, dual-boots are really annoying, unless it is for a purpose, for example, for school or for testing software for a review.

My purpose: "The learning experience" something my teacher Mr.Nelson would say a.k.a Mr.Beast. If I don't like it I can always get rid of one of the OS.

To all of you thanks for acknowledging that I exist.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal