Author Topic: Christmas is going as I planned.  (Read 646 times)

Offline ModderDmo

• Straight Cheddar
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • If you can't open it, you don't own it.
Christmas is going as I planned.
« on: December 24, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
As most of you know, I just got an amp and subs which I just installed yesterday. Today as I was going to go shopping for my $5 gift exchange (a game that the adults play after everyone has opened all of their gifts) and after five minutes of driving my subs stopped working. I got out and checked the amp and noticed the ground came loose from the amp. I drove back home and reattached it, and I tested it. And to my surprise, the amp turns on but doesn't send power to the subs. The weird part is, is that I checked every part of the power and ground wires and the fuses on the amp and power wire are all good. I also checked to see if there was a short at the terminal and still nothing. I think it's either a stray single wire from my power wire that is shorting out something, or either when the ground came loose, it may have touched the power terminal while it was still touching the ground terminal and shorted it out. I don't know what's going on, but I do know that I'm super pissed right now and I'm going to be pissed the whole time while going to be at my grandparents house.

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
Re: Christmas is going as I planned.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:18:33 AM »
I'd bet money you've blown the fuse on the amp output,either that or you've blown teh subs,as even a small short can blow the crap out of a sub.

Going off on a tangent here but:

Before my parents knew I smoke I used to hide my cigarettes behind the speaker on my guitar amp,the outside of the box was foil (benson gold),one day I was playing my guitar and my bro put his cigarettes behind the amp,it jumped the + and - terminals and my speaker died.For less than a second it shorted and blew my speaker,and there was no loud sound or anything,it just went dead silent.

Lesson: never hide metallic contraband in the back of your guitar amp if they have foil wrapping!
Derp.

Offline laxboy

• i like airplanes
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • CTVFD 9/11 lost but never forgotten
Re: Christmas is going as I planned.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:05 AM »
agreed ryan My sister would hide her boyfriends jewlery in my amp. Im down town one day and my pager goes off for a smoke filled room at my house. turned out that something caused the screen infront of the amp to ignite the screen. The cause was her jewlery  when to peaces that had landed on the + and - touched and caused a spark.
 either way on topic here try to diagnose the problem hook other speakers up to the output. see if its the amp. And yes it probably was a fuse thank god for them lol, save alot of stuff from being damaged.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal