Author Topic: AMD vs. Intel  (Read 5286 times)

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
AMD vs. Intel
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »
Is it worth it to get an intel over an AMD processor? Because they are a LOT more expensive...

Thanks to HiddenVenom for the sig!

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: AMD vs. Intel
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
Intel > all

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
I am an Intel guy, imho the customer service is better, Processor seems snappier (AMD and intel measure speeds in different ways) and just over all quality seems better to me. But if your cash-strapped get an AMD
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »
I havn't had any problems with amd, apparently intel out perform them but meh, my overclocked phenom with all cores unlocked is extremely fast, and it was a but load cheaper than a intel of the same speed.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:17:26 PM »
I havn't had any problems with amd, apparently intel out perform them but meh, my overclocked phenom with all cores unlocked is extremely fast, and it was a but load cheaper than a intel of the same speed.
yeah, all I've ever gotten is mixed opinions... But i think i'll go with AMD, because money talks, and it is a hella lot cheaper...

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • OH NO MY CHITTY CHICKEN, NOO NOT MY CHITTY BEEF
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
and when money talk u pay what u get for

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
personally I say screw Intel, AMD all the way... Unless you plan on going all out on one of the new I5/I7 intel chips and all you're looking for is dual or quad core, go AMD, better architecture, better chip all around imo. I used to use only Intel, til I got an AMD, haven't gone back Intel in more than 10 years... I get to use one now and again, but never like them much...

While I usually agree with the adage "you get what you pay for", sometimes you get just that... sometimes all you're paying for is a name... money may talk, but sometimes that talk is still all bull:censored:...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:07:29 PM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline G.R.E.A.M

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Mod to Improve not to Impress. For now :D
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:39:21 PM »
I love AMD. I look at AMD as the economical car and Intel as the "luxury" car without luxury but a luxurious price...lol

Green.Rules.Everything.Around.Me

Offline pigoesfar

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
I personally like Intel far more than any other brand.  Just like how Nvidia is way better than all the other video cards.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
I use a AMD processor on a motherboard that has a Nvidia onboard gpu, just tossing that out there.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »
i have a intel laptop and a amd one.
the intel sometimes has a few hickups, the amd doesnt but :censored: it needs a lot of air to cool.

my macbook has a dualcore 3ghz intel processor and its pretty silent. my hp tx2z makes pretty much noise (with amd)

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 07:23:13 AM »
i love my AMD, but i won't say it's better than the intel equivalent because i haven't gotten a chance to use a modern intel cpu enough to justify my opinion.

Just like how Nvidia is way better than all the other video cards.
this, however, i disagree with. although i will admit ati drivers sucked in ubuntu and Nvidia has better wallpapers.  :tup:

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »
If i use AMD, i'll prolly go with ATI, they have good compatability.

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 12:28:21 AM »
I was going to post a long argument in favor of Intel, and then I realized, AMD fanboys will never be convinced. Just use whatever you want to use, but keep in mind, Intel has been around longer, started the whole x86 business, and has generally more money to throw around. The chips are probably the same in terms of performance, but I prefer Intel. Brand loyalty is not something you can readily put a price on.
Kamelot Forever

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 03:05:17 AM »
i prefer intel chips over amd. just in my experience they ran better

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »
i have a intel laptop and a amd one.
the intel sometimes has a few hickups, the amd doesnt but :censored: it needs a lot of air to cool.

my macbook has a dualcore 3ghz intel processor and its pretty silent. my hp tx2z makes pretty much noise (with amd)

i have all u said and i agree with u 100% only thing is that when i installed windows 7 on the tx2z its fan locked at 100% and hp support told me to :censored:. Anyway the 3.06ghz macbook pro, is basically silent at all times, just gets the fan going when watching a 720p show. or movie

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »
If i use AMD, i'll prolly go with ATI, they have good compatability.
That's because AMD owns ATI. Lol

I prefer Intel over AMD solely because they outperform AMD chips at all levels pretty much... they don't get as hot, either. I've noticed there's more support in some aspects as well.

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
That's because AMD owns ATI. Lol
I know that too. lol. But I have 2 choices. dual core 2.5 ghz wolfdale intel processor, or a dual core 2.8 ghz amd athalon processor.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »
Personally I'd go 2.5GHz Intel because I'm an Intel fan, and to be honest I can't see that much gain over a measly 0.3GHz on a desktop CPU.
What are the prices?

Offline killdog

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Techn3t
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
I dunno tbh cuz it could maybe be intel atm as choice cuz they have released there new I7's but it u compare speeds i would give the opinion that intel are priced higher becuz of there better heat disapaction or how ever u spell it as we all know amd chips do get hotter than intel but i think becuz of think amd are the budget solution if ur building ur own rig. but thats just my opinion and can someone get a dictionary out for disapaction lol

Intel if ur not gonna go big cpu cooling and amd if ur going budget but more cpu cooling either way not much difference
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:47:24 PM by killdog »

Offline alentris

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Bleep-Bloop.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
Personally I'd go 2.5GHz Intel because I'm an Intel fan, and to be honest I can't see that much gain over a measly 0.3GHz on a desktop CPU.
What are the prices?
well its not just that. I'm just buying this to start off, and my dad promised to get me a new cpu down the road. But If i get an Intel mobo, i'm stuck with intel all the way and same with AMD. So when my dad gets me a new cpu, I could get WAY more processor for my buck with AMD than intel...

Offline killdog

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Techn3t
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
then go with intel but ull only be able to go so far with that socket so its a really hard decision i think ur just worth saving and getting a better mobo and chip tbh from my point of view.

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 11:26:24 PM »
I dunno tbh cuz it could maybe be intel atm as choice cuz they have released there new I7's but it u compare speeds i would give the opinion that intel are priced higher becuz of there better heat disapaction or how ever u spell it as we all know amd chips do get hotter than intel but i think becuz of think amd are the budget solution if ur building ur own rig. but thats just my opinion and can someone get a dictionary out for disapaction lol

Intel if ur not gonna go big cpu cooling and amd if ur going budget but more cpu cooling either way not much difference

Exactly. Don't buy AMD simply because you think it will be cheaper. You're going to end up eating the cost somewhere else, like a higher performing graphics card or a better performing hard drive. A CPU is only part of the puzzle. And unless you're playing a game that heavily utilizes the CPU, or running a graphics/video editor, you probably won't be using the CPU's full potential, so getting a 3.0 GHz vs 2.5 GHz is a moot point. It really depends what you're running for the cycle speed to matter.

My advice: Spend the big bucks on hard drives and the motherboard. Hard drives because you don't want that stuff to fail, and I'd recommend Western Digital Black or Toshiba drives. Motherboard you want to be good for a variety of reasons. One is that everything else connects to and runs off the board, so you want excellent compatibility. You also want to be able to upgrade items like graphics boards, memory, and the processor.
Kamelot Forever

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal