Author Topic: New to Modding - Questions about models/versions best to mod  (Read 802 times)

Offline Liquid-Fox

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
New to Modding - Questions about models/versions best to mod
« on: January 30, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »
Ok first off I will say this is my first post and I am new to the psp modding gig. I am not new to projects of this 'flavour'. I am more of a hardware mod guy, I have an engineer background have repaired ipods for my friends, including my own. I have had to replace the screen of my original psp.

I have been looking around this site, reading posts, looking at tuts, YT vids, I've look into sourcing parts + tools etc for what I have in mind so I have a view of what I want to achieve for my PSP and crucially I don't expect too much. As I get more experience, i may get braver...who knows.

When I first got it, people were wanted specific versions, upgrading/downgrading and bricking etc.....doesnt seem to be the same nowadays. Well I hope at least.

I have a PSP 1006, running version 5.51 and I have only a few things in mind.

1) Be able to run a N64 emulator (had 2 specific games in mind). However I don't want to loose my UMD playing ability
2) USB Charge mod

The rest of the alterations will be aesthetic, plastic molded case/fascia, spraying, etc....That I can handle.

I have seen a range of fantastic mods from simple and elegant to complex and mind blowing. I saw the amount done successfully to a psp 2000 by JoblessPunk: https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,29518.0.html

If he can do such a brilliant job with a smaller thiner model with less space, stands to reason my simple plans should be ok.

In my noob innocence I would like to ask a few things which Im sure will be obvious, but haven't been able to find simple explanations/reasons behind 1 or 2 things.

In JoblessPunks design, he says about using a flash memory, not UMD, obviously means UMD playing days are over. If Im not using UMD disk space for cameras.....is there any point/advantage of me only using Flash Mem?

And secondly, If I use a pandora battery + MMS upload CFW and then Emulators.....1) Is it possible to choose boot mode....ie. CFW or Sony FW or is it more a case of once CFW....ALWAYS CFW?

Im sorry for my rambling, I tend to do that, and when I get some modding done and get round to posting results etc, you'll notice I can ramble. Sorry.

Finally, I have explained what I hope to achieve, and I have explained what I have to work with
1) is it all possible with my current model/version
2) If not, can someone recommend better choice?

Thank You so much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal