Author Topic: 8 Things that suck about the ipad (Gizmodo)  (Read 4771 times)

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
8 Things that suck about the ipad (Gizmodo)
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:41:08 PM »
My god, am I underwhelmed by the iPad. This is as inessential a product as I've ever seen, but beyond that, it has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make me judge anyone who buys one.

1: Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

2: No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

3: No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

4: Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

5: No HDMI/HD Video Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

6: The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

7: No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

8: Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

I just couldn't make my own list because i so agree to all of this.
i don't like it at all.
No real OS and 3 hours batt. on wifi.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
Re: 8 Things that suck about the ipad (Gizmodo)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »
My god, am I underwhelmed by the iPad. This is as inessential a product as I've ever seen, but beyond that, it has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make me judge anyone who buys one.

1: Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.
the bezel i partly agree with oyu but also part of me likes that the screen is framed it gives the content boundaries
2: No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.
yes it should of come with this from the start, but in all fairness this is as simple a feature as a software update which we could in all likelihood see when apple get round to announcing iphone os 4.0
3: No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?
this is the one thing that let me down with this but it isn't so critical for me to not buy the device as i don't use my webcam much as it is and when i want to take video or photos I'm either using my SLR, camcorder or iphone so this although a let down isn't a deal breaker
4: Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.
i for one like the touch keyboard o n the iphone apart from its size so a bigger one on an ipad i think i could get used to, plus the ipad is said to work with current versions of apples wireless bluetooth keyboards so you could use that. As for the orientation of needing to use your knees to prop it up what about the case for it that can be used in 2 orientations as a stand for it?
5: No HDMI/HD Video Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.
the ipad does actually support video out by its dock connector you just need the right cable, it would be better if it was standardised like a hdmi cable but there are enough ipods, iphones and no doubt there will be enough ipads sold for the dock connector to just count as an apple standard
6: The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!
totally agree. should of been called islate or itablet or just plain apple tablet
7: No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.
as with point number 2 this could come with a software update plus in all fairness we don't know what the SDK is like as it is covered by an NDA so could allow adobe to create a flash app or plugin for it.    Also (this counts for point 2 as well) i find it strange that its running os 3.2 which to me sounded as if the ipad hardware and apps were ready to launch today but the people behind the iphone os (which the ipad uses) are behind as you would normally expect for a major os release with or around a new device release like it was for the iphone 2.0 for the 3g and 3.0 for the 3gs etc etc
8: Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

I just couldn't make my own list because i so agree to all of this.
i don't like it at all.
No real OS and 3 hours batt. on wifi.
yeah they could of done better with incorporating more like i would of preferred to see say an SD card slot and usb 2.0 or 3.0 in it as SD is the main camera format but again not a deal breaker as I'm sure apple saw it in the same way i am right now and that is with sd card capacity getting bigger and bigger up to 64gb currently (potential of 128gb-2tb depending on sd format) that a lot of people wont be constantly syncing there cameras on the go to clear room on the card. i for one only plug my camera in maybe once every 2 weeks when I'm using it and even then its only 1/4 to 1/3 full i could probably go 6-10 weeks without syncing my DSLR if i wanted

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »
Deda...I've never read a more biased post. Congrats.

Protip: It lasts 10+ hours (quoted) and if it's anything like the iPhone/iTouch, that's true.

If you don't like it, don't :censored:ing buy it. Simple as that.

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »
i missed that in his post lol kicks. yeh it has 10 hours of use (thats with wifi and HD video at the same time) and over a month of standby use. would be perfect for me to make lecture notes on

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »
If it was cheaper, I might buy it. Where is multitasking? Flash? And WTF a mic but no phone function??

Creativity at apple has gone down the drain, hence, ipad.

Oh and 1,000 post
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »
You're completely ignoring the fact that there's an APP STORE. That mic can be used to call people with the right app. OBVIOUSLY Apple isn't going to include that out of the box. I think the price is fine. Learn to appreciate something.

Multitasking and Flash and even an Phone app can be added IN A FUTURE :censored:ING UPDATE. Just because it's not there to start doesn't mean anything.

Like I said, if you don't like it, then don't buy it. Simple as that.

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
i agree totally with kicks.

kicks did you find it strange that its just running 3.2 and not a fresh version like 4.0?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »
Yeah, I did. Also sorry for the language. Lol. Rough day and I'm stressed.

Even if Apple doesn't introduce Multitasking, there's always Backgrounder...
One thing I'm worried about as well is that Adobe has flat out said that they're not going to work with Apple for Flash on the iDevices because of some disagreement.

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »
with the device not been out for 60 - 90 days i could envision that it may not even ship with 3.2 or atleast as soon as it ships the 4.0 update will be out and available

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
Yeah probably

TwistdSoul

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »
I like the concept of it, but i think i'll wait a few months before i pick one up.

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
guys, i'm just saying.

relax a bit.....
it's not like i want to bash Apple whole together, i got a macbook pro and a few of those mp3 thingies.

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:35:31 AM »
guys, i'm just saying.

relax a bit.....
it's not like i want to bash Apple whole together, i got a macbook pro and a few of those mp3 thingies.

You kind of bashed them a lot, and not all the things you said were correct (or even fair). Kicks is right in saying if you don't like it, then don't buy it. But honestly, for the market it is made for, the technology in the device, the work put into the Apps, the whole iBook thing, the sweet price point, Apple did a good job making this a product that has enormous potential.

Some of your (and my) gripes are valid: no flash support, the name iPad (horrible), and no camera. But also keep in mind, Slate is a name trademarked by HP. And the lack of a camera might be due to meeting some price point.
Kamelot Forever

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:32:25 AM »
it's my opinion.

Offline robin1989

• Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 03:51:32 AM »
You kind of bashed them a lot, and not all the things you said were correct (or even fair). Kicks is right in saying if you don't like it, then don't buy it. But honestly, for the market it is made for, the technology in the device, the work put into the Apps, the whole iBook thing, the sweet price point, Apple did a good job making this a product that has enormous potential.

Some of your (and my) gripes are valid: no flash support, the name iPad (horrible), and no camera. But also keep in mind, Slate is a name trademarked by HP. And the lack of a camera might be due to meeting some price point.
just a thought the flash thing may now be due to adobe as after apples reluctance to allow it on the iphone i think adobe said something along the lines of we wont work with apple on this then.
yeh ipad sucks as a name i wonder if you could engrave the back in such a way as to cover the ipad name and replace it with iSlate.

as for the camera whilst i was in bed last night it came to me what is one of thie things apple is been sued for currently?

answer: the camera in the iphone, they are been sued by kodak so they may not want to include it in the ipad as to not rish it been not allowed to ship

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:04 AM »
As for the name I think the majority of you are over reacting, it's name for gads sake. Anyone that says a Maxi-Pad joke is obviously immature and not funny. Honestly the gadget it's self "iPad" shouldn't get a bash because of it's name.

Camera doesn't really bother me, I mean it's as big as a book, it was seem weird to go around taking photos. Want to take photos of yourself? Use your Camera? or Phone? 90% of all people rich enough to own one does.

Flash will never ever happen on any Gadget of apple such as the iPhone, so I don't see why people still have a bash at the "Gadget" even though adobe flat out said they won't collaborate will apple in anyway, BEFORE the gadget is presented.

But really the "iPad" is less an computer and more a Larger, Bigger iPod with more features.

I though I would just add that the iPad is too large to be a phone, imagine putting that against your ear it just awkward and you look like a complete retard, But then again it could have loud speaker if you where willing to lose all privacy of a phone call.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:20:22 AM by ¢Starrz »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »
honestly, I think the name is the most logical choice for apple to have used. think about it, it's one letter off from iPod and sounds nearly identical, and fits the iPx scheme that their product line is following. and I agree with luke about the maxi-pad jokes, lame and unbelievably immature. if the only thing you can come up with to make fun of it then not only are you immature, but incredibly uncreative... (besides if you're gonna be immature and make fun of silly names make fun of the people who insist on calling their iPod Touch an iTouch... really, what is it that you touch?)

Now, as for the camera, who wants a :censored:ty built in camera in such a sleek device? really, you have your iPad in it's case, just take your small point and shoot and the available camera adapter. and for those of you saying 'well, what about a front facing cam for video conferencing?' I say :censored: that :censored:, leave it at home, you'd look like the worlds biggest douchebag walking around video conferencing on your iPad. as big of a douchebag as anyone would look walking around video conferencing on their :censored:ing laptop or netbook...

No phone feature? who cares, app store has many VoIP apps... get the 3G version and you've got a giant iPhone nearly anywhere you go with your iPad... people just don't think outside the box sometimes, sure it's not a 'traditional' phone but it would work for the intended purpose...

Now, as for flash, far before adobe said they weren't going to work with apple for these products, apple said the products wouldn't be getting flash.
Why no Flash?
1. Flash doesn't meet the requirements apple set forth for these devices (ie. it's slow buffering speed).
2. Flash is unstable...
3. Apple feels there are better solutions to content delivery than flash (as flash is somewhat outdated, regardless of it's currently heavy usage).
4. Apple is banking on HTML5 as the future (since it can nearly everything flash can do), and is trying to lightly force the speedier adoption of their preferred choice...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:50:25 PM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal