Author Topic: Put 1.8inch HD in PSP 3000  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Monkeywoman

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Put 1.8inch HD in PSP 3000
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:24:40 AM »
AS the title says, i bought a psp3000(6.2fw)recently and wanted to get a storage boost, Memory stick duos are way to expensive for the amount of storage. since i have purchased a few PSone games on my ps3, i could also download them to my psp...which would make me having a umd drive pointless.

So my idea is to place either a 1.8inch or 2.4inch HD in place of where the UMD drive is, ive decided though that 1.8inch would fit this application more due to the power requirements.

i located a 120 gig drive for 100bucks ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-120GB-MK1214GAH-HDD1901-PATA-ZIF-1-8inch-HDD_W0QQitemZ200431505219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eaaa60f43)

and addonics for any converters (http://www.addonics.com/products/IO/aaedt18IDE25.asp )

i plan to power the drive by taping into the UMD connection and i will be formatting the HD as FAT format so the psp could read it without any firmware mods....

Any input? is it possible or am i beating a dead horse?

Offline Nefarius

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Then he was like RAWR!
Re: Put 1.8inch HD in PSP 3000
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »
From what I've heard the psp wont be able to drive a HD since the psp is a slave device itself, a HD is a slave device too. Slave devices can't drive other slaves. I believe AM made a sticky about these kind of questions.

That is, if I'm right ofcourse.

Offline Monkeywoman

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:11:59 AM »
:censored:ty, thanks though for the input

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
It is absolutely possible,one simply needs a host device to control read and write the information to their respective drives.However this would require a vast knowledge of electronics and programming.

A year or two ago we worked out a way that one could do it by using a tiny (and I mean TINY) linux computer (yes....a computer...but REALLY TINY!!) to host the devices,however,the project was scrapped as it would cost hundreds of dollars to build the unit as well as hundreds of hours spent programming it,designing the circuits,and also there would be zero chance of it fitting inside the psp.It's just generally a bad idea,wait a year or two,sandisk and sony will be coming out with 1tb upwards portable storage and you can play ps1 to your hearts content!
Derp.

Offline Monkeywoman

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
I got the idea from the datel psp 4gb hd. there is a tutorial here about placing the hd in the psp ( https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=13678.0 ) id like to do the same but without having to buy the datel unit.

it seems difficult because the datel unit has a pcb that holds the driver information attached to the back of the drive.

best solution would be getting a datel unit and swapping out the 4gb drive for a 100gb...but that might conflict with the drivers.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
as I have said before (and this topic pops up again every year or so, I don't know why) that datel 'hard drive' is NOT a HDD, it is a CF card. it is no different than any of the other CF to MSPD converters made for the PSP. if you want large capacity storage in the PSP look into one of those and high capacity CF cards, or fork out for the MSPD. you will NOT get a HDD to connect to the PSP without (as ryan0 said) some kind of master between the PSP and HDD.
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Monkeywoman

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 01:05:32 AM »
ok, that clears things up. a quick search on google for that type of converter takes me to the NEO-FLASH CPF-MSPD converter (http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/accessories/memory-stick-duo-to-compact-flash-converter-001666.php ) but cant find a place to buy one.

compact flash is cheaper but would get around the same price as MSPD after factoring in the cost of the converter. i wanted atleast 32gb for my psp, looks like im going to have to figure something else up.

Offline Nefarius

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Then he was like RAWR!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 02:21:14 AM »
Photofast CR5400 with 2 16gb Micro SD cards. Plus you'd still have yer UMD intact, heard they were working on a 64gb compatible one though! Still a pricey thing to do. What you could do is ask it for your B-day, I know I did xD

Offline Pinky

• I have no f****ing clue
  • ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »
you could try removing one ofthem 10gb or so ones from the extra handgrip things ive completely forgotten what there called sorry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal