Author Topic: Versions of the PS3 Controller [PRIORITY Question]  (Read 10494 times)

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
Versions of the PS3 Controller [PRIORITY Question]
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »
This is relevant to a RnD Project we are working on and i would like to know the different versions of the PS3 Controller...

Sorry I have no photos since I couldn't find any.

Here are all of them that I could find. I would like to know whether or not I named them all --
 - MSU PP4.0 5
 - MSU PP4.0 9
 - MSU PP4.0 11 - Sixaxis Version
 - MSU_V2 2.14
 - MSU_V2 2.12
 - MSU_V2.5 1.05 - Regular
 - MSU_VX 1.03  (oldest ?)
 - MSU_V3.5X 1.12 - New Daughter Board Ribbon Cable

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline alman101

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • high as a mo fo
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Versions of the PS3 Controller [PRIORITY Question]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »
ive been modding controllers a long, long time...

From my experiences over the years, I have had the pleasure to work on 5 different kinds of PS3 controllers.

1st is a SIXAXIS that I got back in June 2007 with my 60GB PS3, the special thing about that one was it had smoke case, yes a smoke case. I really miss it since I have yet to work on one like it since, i call it the 1st generation SIXAXIS, heres some pics of my earlier mods when I just got started....

2nd version I worked on was also a SIXAXIS, but thoughout the smoke case, it had a black case like every controller since, well until the newer dualshock3s, but more on that later. I call this the 2nd generation SIXAXIS

The next type of controller I worked on I call the 1st generation DualShock3, it had what looked like a SIXAXIS board with rumble motors, to go a bit deeper, it had the same plug that connected the board to the touch pad, I believe you had to slide them in. Also another tell tail piece is it has a black touch pad holder, the same as all the SIXAXIS

Next I call the 2nd generation DualShock3, it has white touch pad holder, a new board which had the bluetooth internally mounted, instead of the little plug in all the other previous controllers, also the touch pad had a new evolved connector to the board which used contact points, but make sure you dont loose the little rectangular piece of foam that makes the connection secure, or you aint gonna be able to start ur controller lol (personal experience). thank god I made vids taking it apart or I would never have figured out that I forgot that little thing....

Last I call the 3rd generation DualShock3 controller, which are available in three new colours, blue, red, and my favourite, SILVER! black is also still available. It features a new touch pad holder which also now houses the rumble motros, on previous dualshocks the motors were held in place by 2 screws each. Now they are held in by two-sided sticky foam tape.

Theres my little experience with PS3 controllers and how I can tell them apart, in 5 versions...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:39:07 PM by alman101 »

'09 summer mod-off winner

Offline loboplayero

• hardcore psp modder!!
  • MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-0
  • specialize in psp led lighting!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »
thats hot i would like to do a mod like that never done it but will try it cool!!!!!

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:23:20 PM »
There are 12 distinct versions that I'm aware of at present, and I'm sure there are a few more out there as well as more on the way. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=648322

Of these 12 they can be summed up into 4 TP layouts right now, technically 5 if you include the first DS3 version, though it shares the same TP layout as the later generation Six-Axis controllers it just has Rumble is all, and within those 4/5 TP layouts all of those versions are essentially the same controller. For example, the 4.0 5, 9 and 11 all share the same TP layout and work the same way, so while it's technically 3 different versions of controller, they're all the same.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
+1 RDC thanks. I Almost found all of them.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com would have been the last place to check for PS3 controller versions.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal