Author Topic: in-built invert button for PS3 control  (Read 6640 times)

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
in-built invert button for PS3 control
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:49:41 AM »
Ok, alot of the time me and my mates where i live come to mine and we will end up on COD MW2. I play inverted but the others don't and it gets fustrating having to go into the menu, access the options and change it back and forth, especially if your in the middle of a game.

I would like to know if there is a way of adding a button on the controller to change the inverse without going to a damn menu. I'm sure it could be done with a programmed chip, but is there a way to hard mod the control, maybe swiching polarity.

I've only really worked on PSP's and the ONLY work i;ve done on a controller is changing the lights.

So would anyone be able to help?

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
Re: in-built invert button for PS3 control
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:29:56 PM »
could probably be done with a properly programmed and wired PIC...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:56:25 PM »
its simple... use a double pole switch and break the connection for the y axis potentiometer outside pins and wire them so they are normal when the switch is in one position.  In the other position switch the connections thus effectively inverting that axis of the analog stick.

only issue is in menus when the switch will have to be in normal position or the movements will be opposite.

On a double pole switch there are two rows of 3 pins.  the center 2 pins will connect to the outside pins of the analog stick.  then two pins on one side will connect to the normal spots on the controller mother board, and the two pins on the other side will make the opposite connection.  Simply put the switch will need to be between the normal connection of the analog stick in the y axis.

EDIT:  now that I think of it, ps3 analogs are not exactly i describe above, there are 4 points where the analog connects to the controller for each axis and I am unsure what the additional point is for.  However the principle should the same, it is just a matter of finding out what pins you need.  Maybe a R&D member would know
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:02:56 PM by 802Chives »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »
The additional point isn't for something new, the entire setup of the PS3 controllers changed awhile back from Potentiometers to Hall Effect sensors..

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=648322

..and Op-Amps (to convert the current change into voltage) aka how Dreamcast controllers work, if anyone ever tore into those.

You can still use a DPDT switch and swap the poles of the sensor around to invert the things, but on some controllers this can/will cause it to be off center as that extra wiring on the poles will mess it up, so it's better to use the DPDT to swap the VCC an GND pins of the sensor around instead. This can't be done on all types of Hall Sensors, it depends on they're type and internal setup, but it can be done on both versions that are currently being used in the PS3 controllers to invert the Axis of the stick with just a DPDT, so it's the same principle as swapping them on a POT, but under the hood there's a lot more interesting things going on.

There are a couple of DPDT switches I've used before that are small enough to fit in the PS3 controller in a few of places, these can be found at Mouser and probably a few other online places as well.

Slide - AYZ0202AGRL

Toggle - G22AP
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:06:22 PM »
Could you just not program a PIC like a macro so when you hit it, it opens menu quickly then close's it

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »
Not all game menus have the options in the same places, and even for just one game that would take far, far longer to code, test and wire up, and still not be as fast as a DPDT switch on the sensor, that would work with all games.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal