Author Topic: Sound Reactive LED Project  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Loser777

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Sound Reactive LED Project
« on: April 27, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
I'm trying to do this http://www.instructables.com/id/Music-LED-Light-Box/step1/Materials-Tools/ project with a TIP31AG NPN Transistor and a 9v Battery as my power source. The circuit works fine, but it's not sensitive enough. It reacts properly, but only when I turn the volume to about 80% of what my iPod can put out (pretty uncomfortable). The guide didn't mention a specific type of transistor -such as TIP31C instead of TIP31AG, so I think the gain on my transistor may be too low. (This behaves the same way regardless of how many LEDs I have attached, be it a single LED or nine)

My experience with this stuff is limited to AP Physics in high school, so I don't understand much beyond resistors and capacitors.

I have some random resistors on hand, along with a few other transistors, 2N3904, 2N304, 2N2222, etc...

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
Re: Sound Reactive LED Project
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »
switch the red wire for the blue wire on the base. then its probably going to work better. i dont have a computer right now im on my phone.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Loser777

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
The red wire is already on the base
This is a TO-220 Case Transistor:

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
... lesson learned dont assume lol. =D         ok try this -- hook the blue wire connected to the collector and swap that one with the red wire on the base.       what this would do is invert the sound reactive leds.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Loser777

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:05:12 PM »
hmm, that leads the the LEDs staying lit at full brightness, like I'm just directly wiring them to the 9v battery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal