Author Topic: Thoughts on Apple, and their role in the tech industry.  (Read 544 times)

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
Thoughts on Apple, and their role in the tech industry.
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
So you could call them one of the 'major players' sat there next to microsoft, IBM, and various other noteworthy tech industry gods. Some would have you believe apple is unique; almost in a way akin to a religion.

Apple as a company have always been pretty closed up to modifications of their hardware, much to the contrary of Microsoft and the rest of the PC 'empire' as it were.

They have always delivered very efficient, high power, cutting-edge, top-of-the class machines.

The Mac in itself is a design icon - as are the iPhone, the iPod, and I daresay the iPad.

While Apple products are some of the most appealing, I've always had trouble liking the mac. For half the price, it is possible to build a better pc, but it's still not good enough. And you know why?

Because it's not a Mac.

There is something about the Mac that screams "QUALITY!". And hark thatvery scream, for it is true.

I have always been a criticiser of Intel and nVidia; instead preffering AMD and ATI. But the Mac disguises this ugly, optimized, and expensive quality given off by the like of i7s and GeForces. Looking at a Mac, iappreciate the Optimization. The prejudice disappears, as does the willing along of the underdogs.

Apple seems to have a much similar effect on mobile devices, especially with what in my eyes is their flagship:

The iPod.

When you see an iPod for the first time, it's an experience akin to: "Meh. It's 10 times more expensive than this MP3 Player and Half as good."

But when you hold it, feel the quality, the weight... The power - you are enslaved forever.

This is not particularly true of the iPhone; mainly in the fact that it was the first 'smartphone' to really impress me. Amd that was seeing an advert. And then in reality, it gets even better.For the ever-growing smartphone Market, the iPhone is a beautiful and dominant beast amid a field of flighty superior, yet ugly competitors.

Perhaps my only criticism which prevents me from goin any further into Apple's hardware than the iPod touch us the lack of functionality.

I feel drawn to functionality - design being important, of course. This is why I am a keen follower of of the PC and that which it stands for. Freedom of technology.

I guess I'm not ready to live in Apple's locked world just yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal