Author Topic: Apple Considering Fun in the Sun  (Read 1245 times)

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Apple Considering Fun in the Sun
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »
So here we go again, this reminds me of the wireless charging pad in a lot of ways and it made me chuckle so away we go.

We like things that are shiny, expensive and that nobody else on the street has. Its big screen tv complex it really is. So obviously everybody will like this. Apple employees filled a patent for new technology that will embed solar cells under the touch screens of handheld devices, like the iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone.

The idea is to create a ‘stack’ that will integrate sensors that will allow multi-touch as well as solar cells. This patent was filled back in September of 2008, and calls for light channeling that will direct the light to solar cells underneath of the touch screen.

A potential for this technology could be that double sided solar panels could be produced. These would allow light to be absorbed from both the top and the backing which would be glass covered. In theory this technology could utilize indoor light, rather than only direct sunlight. However it still isn’t clear whether or not this is even possible and it isn’t likely that if this is possible that the price for such gadgets would increase significantly.

-TwisT

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
Re: Apple Considering Fun in the Sun
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
Interesting stuff. This may give solar panels a good chance of being popular and efficient in power production (especially in mobile devices), as you have said.

This has the potential to be world-changing if all goes to plan... but knowing patent-holders, that could be years from now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal