Author Topic: Geohot at it again  (Read 3738 times)

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
Geohot at it again
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:30:05 PM »
Remember geohot? Of course you do. Mr. Hacker here has managed to stably jailbreak an iPhone 4, as shown by his blog. He approached the 'will it be released' wave of questions with a casual attitude, simply saying that he does not plan to release it.

So, if you're waiting for your jailbreak, keep an eye on the iPhone dev-team. If all goes well, we could see a stable release in the coming weeks.

Source:  http://i.engadget.com/2010/07/10/geohot-teases-iphone-4-jailbreak-no-plans-for-release/

Offline Kilokk

• In your AM modding your forums
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
  • In the shadows of darkness I stand in the light.
Re: Geohot at it again
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
anyone else mad at geohot?

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:43:13 PM »
Lol... I support him. If I was a hacker, I'd be just the same. He knows that there are loads of people who just want to shamelessly pirate apps - well, at least that's why I think he won't release it.

Offline Kilokk

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
ok but what about those of us who just want a jailbroken iPhone for LEGAL purposes?

and i am still upset about the whole PS3 thing.

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:18:05 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this news for multiple reasons some personal some professional. I can understand and at the same time I disagree. Why make something so many people look forward to only to not release it. Then again on a personal level, it could just be a "I did it" sort of motivation.

If indeed it is just so people are not shamelessly pirating applications why not remove the ability. If that is a concern of course.

I suppose in the end I am indifferent since I don't use the iphone. XD

-TwisT

Offline l0rdnic0

• 2%
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +8/-0
  • TeamCYBER

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »
OMG there are so many reasons I want a JB for the iPhone 4, I understand why he would not release it, but it doesn't make me want it any less..

I pay for most all my apps, but the JB allows you to do so much more with your phone then use stolen apps.. HELLO mifi, 3g unrestrictor and sbsettings...

OH SOMEONE PLEASE RELEASE A JB SOON!!!!! AHHHHHHH

L0rdNiC0 Pioneering Mods on the PSP Slim :taunt:
Sound Mod, Button LED Mod, Security Mod, Dual NUB, Mode Select Switch + More

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 11:19:17 PM »
I would want it so I could use tmobile, thats the only thing I want, now that os 4.0 supports wallpapers

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 04:02:55 AM »
ok but what about those of us who just want a jailbroken iPhone for LEGAL purposes?

and i am still upset about the whole PS3 thing.

Lol then I guess it's just another reason to hate pirates

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 08:34:18 AM »
I'm eagerly awaiting a jailbreak for iOS4 for my 3GS, but I'm not mad at GeoHot for not releasing his JB. I know that other iPhone hackers have all the same exploits as GeoHot and are working on their JB versions. I understand why he doesn't want to continue releasing jailbreaks after blackra1n, it's akin to DarkAleX and the PSP custom firmwares. He does all the work without getting paid, gives it to people for free, warns them of risks, and tells them not to update next time. then people complain when they screw it up, complain that he hasn't immediately made a new jailbreak for the new update that they 'accidentally' updated to again... i totally understand why he has no interest in releasing anything.

my issue with it however is that he doesn't just stfu about it. if he has no interest in releasing it, then he needs to stop updating people about his work on it. at that point he's just teasing people and deserves all the :censored:ing he gets.
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »
I would want it so I could use tmobile, thats the only thing I want, now that os 4.0 supports wallpapers

Why not get an unlocked phone. Or ask your carrier to unlock it for you

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
my issue with it however is that he doesn't just stfu about it. if he has no interest in releasing it, then he needs to stop updating people about his work on it. at that point he's just teasing people and deserves all the :censored:ing he gets.

Wow that sounds a little harsh. If you look at my first post he could just be continuing his work to show that he can do it. I mean it is his site, people blog about odder things and people read it. So it isn't that he is teasing anybody. Yes he did it congrats. He doesn't have any obligation to release his work. If somebody disagrees with his method or his actions than don't go to his site. Jail breaking the iphone is obviously possible. You might not get it today, but because it is possible somebody else will do it and they will release it.

I mean, if I were him I would charge for it. I would it is that simple. $0.50 per i phone one time use. Add in some sort of check and balance system so that if somebody tries to rip me off, once there phone connects to the internet it would disable the phone. Put that in the little terms of use agreement and set up an email just for complaints.

Now that would bug people, but he didn't do that. Till now his works been free so enjoy what you had and be patient. Somebody will do the same project. They always do. XD

-TwisT

Offline Kilokk

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »
Why not get an unlocked phone. Or ask your carrier to unlock it for you

it doesnt work like that on this side of the pond robin... the carrier lock is meant to be permanent

and twist i agree with jrfhoutx, STFU about it geohot.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:26:01 PM by Kilokk »

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:56 PM »
He isn't releasing it because no one bought the iHand to fix antenna issues...

BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal