Poll

what component should I focus my money on most?

motherboard
graphics card
cpu
case
HDD/ssd
ram
cooling
accessories (mouse, keyboard, cam etc...)

Author Topic: what to do to my pc and how...  (Read 46996 times)

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
Re: what to do to my pc and how...
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2010, 12:42:15 AM »
Wifi dialled on software? Or is it showing up but no signal? You may need to replace the antenna.

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
What's an itouch? I'm pretty sure there is no product named that. Do you mean an iPod Touch?

Yeah. Don't call it that.

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
What's an itouch? I'm pretty sure there is no product named that. Do you mean an iPod Touch?

Yeah. Don't call it that.

You got a problem with the way the world calls something? Dont be a D*** about it.

Yeah in your face.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
the error is hardware-related, and i just call it an itouch because its shorter andquicker to type.
EDIT: I just was talking to my parents and they said that I have to have my PC parts finalized by the end of the week.  My b-day is coming up soon and they decided that I should be able to build this.  They said they will fill me in on any extra costs I come up with.  They also said I have to build a low-end PC to prove that I can build this.  Guess its time to put linux on the old 98 and mix some of my old parts with it.  I also found where the wifi problem is son the ipod.  The cable that connects the mobo to the wifi antenna is bad.  Its not the cable but its the pcb.  it is rusted internally and I don't want to ruin my soldering iron.  I found one on eBay but it was WAY overpriced.  $999 to replace it and its the only one exactly like the one I need!  any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:37:49 PM by RyanF »

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
Yeah in your face.

That was not necessary, but also Ennon, your reaction to his calling of an "iTouch" (which yes, is pretty much a world-wide term at this point) was a little over the top.

(this post has nothing to do with OP)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:50:22 PM by FreeK »

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2010, 04:30:41 AM »
hey ive got to have my parts list finalized by monday.  we are going to get it sometime soon for my birthday.

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
Oi, sorry about my last post. I was just pissed off that day, sorry lol

Anyway, your current list is golden. Just make sure you get that triple-channel RAM (3 sticks) like I mentioned before.

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
Have fun, don't melt anything, ground yourself, ground yourself, GROUND YOURSELF, don't do static damage and don't drop anything :)

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »
I have to revise some things my vid cards are discontinued.  I also need to drop the price about 200 usd.  I will post the new list when I get the chance.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »
ok I had to replace some things.  I got a new hdd and gpu.                        HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136742                   GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1465-AR GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card                                                         RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL                                               DVD burner: LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24LS50 LightScribe Support - OEM                                                                                                              CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950                                                                                                   case: Antec Lanboy air Blue Black / Blue Computer Modular Case                              OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM             mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard                                                                                                    CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm SSO CPU Cooler                                               fans: APEVIA CF12S-UBL 120mm Case Fan                                                            WIFI card: ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express Wireless Adapter                                            any ideas are accepted
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:38:45 PM by RyanF »

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
Wifi Cards are a pain in my experience, i would just use a cheap n dongle.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »
Id like to keep everything internal.  So is everything compatible?  My parents want to order this tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:14:37 PM by RyanF »

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2010, 12:39:52 AM »
Everything is in order, the only problem I would ever see is a missing cable or stupidity whilst building the pc. Otherwise you're good to go.

There are some really good online tutorials to follow and I suggest following one. Don't get the urge to overclock just yet, and make sure everything works before the important stuff goes in. My cousin burnt two power supplies a couple days ago because his cooling wasn't working and he didn't check it.

Just be really, really careful :)

Otherwise, have fun, and run us some 3Dmark tests :)

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
thanks, and I already have the stuff on order :)  I hope my parents don't do what they always do and call me downstairs every 20 min. just to let the dog out or ask me a question.  also has anybody got any ideas on where to get that wifi card for my ipod? its the new MC model.  I can't remember what gen, but it has bluetooth and no cam.  Could I do some rework on the wifi chip to fix it?

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
Ok I got the PC built and I have problems.  The PC wont post and the screen stays blank.  Should I connect the speaker to it and test it?  Is this a graphics card problem?  My dad thinks its the CPU isn't seated properly, but I think its the graphics card.  I can't get into the bios, but everything gets power.  I have tried clearing the CMOS.  I have to use a DVI to VGA adapter to use my screens. any ideas why this is happening?

Post Merge: November 06, 2010, 06:42:13 AM
ok I am typing from my new PC.  :#1:   I found the reason my pc wouldn't boot earlier was because I didn't have a power wire in all the way.  Everything seems to work fine.  This was my 1st time installing an OS onto a blank hdd.  I will benchmark it soon.  Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 06:42:13 AM by RyanF »

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2010, 07:18:28 PM »
Oi, congrats. It's all a learning experience :)

I suppose this wouldn't be a good time to critic your part list haha, I've been gone. Might I ask why you chose your current HDD over the Samsung F3? Or why you chose the GTX 465 over the 460 (Good choice on EVGA though)? The CPU cooler you posted is. . . odd looking imo.

I was looking at that case, how do you like it?

EDIT: I know you already figured this out, but if a PC doesn't start, it's not getting power ;) A PC will power on without a graphics card, so that wouldn't be the problem. And it's not really possible for you to seat the CPU improperly lol.

And please tell me that you're not using a crappy CRT screen with this >_<

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:21:24 PM by Ennon »

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
Good on ya mate ;) Well done. All drivers etc downloaded?

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2010, 04:09:11 AM »

this.

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2010, 09:03:30 AM »
Oi, congrats. It's all a learning experience :)

I suppose this wouldn't be a good time to critic your part list haha, I've been gone. Might I ask why you chose your current HDD over the Samsung F3? SATA 6 gb/sec and capacity
Or why you chose the GTX 465 over the 460 (Good choice on EVGA though)?  I did because my dad wanted me to get this thing built soon.  He also didn't want me to use the EVGA because I was already over budget and he made me use a sparkle card.  (the one I had up there earlier)
The CPU cooler you posted is. . . odd looking imo. I idle around 20 and can play 3D games around 30-40.

I was looking at that case, how do you like it?  This thing works great! can't believe how much it cools my parts.   I put my hand in the HDD area while it was on and I felt like my hand was outside for a few minutes in the winter!  Of course, my room is poorly insulated and Im in the 2nd story of the house.

EDIT: I know you already figured this out, but if a PC doesn't start, it's not getting power ;) A PC will power on without a graphics card, so that wouldn't be the problem. And it's not really possible for you to seat the CPU improperly lol.

Actualy yes I am using a CRT and an lcd screen toogether.  I just use the CRT for in game stats and things like that.  I plan to replace these both with a 20 inch LCD as soon as I get the money.

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
go for 23" lcd(s) with a resolution of at least 1080p

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »
SATA 6 gb/sec and capacity

Ohh I missed that. Yeah, that makes sense. Good choice then.

I did because my dad wanted me to get this thing built soon.  He also didn't want me to use the EVGA because I was already over budget and he made me use a sparkle card.  (the one I had up there earlier)

Hmm ok. The 460 is cheaper and faster. Stupid nVidia and their naming scheme for the 400 series :P

I idle around 20 and can play 3D games around 30-40.

Hm, not bad. I'm a Thermaltake fan. (ha, pun, get it? lol)

This thing works great! can't believe how much it cools my parts.   I put my hand in the HDD area while it was on and I felt like my hand was outside for a few minutes in the winter!  Of course, my room is poorly insulated and Im in the 2nd story of the house.

I didn't see the case until you posted it. It looks interesting, I may have to try it out and buy one sometime :D

Actualy yes I am using a CRT and an lcd screen toogether.  I just use the CRT for in game stats and things like that.  I plan to replace these both with a 20 inch LCD as soon as I get the money.

Ohh ok cool, gotcha. I was gonna say, if you're using just a CRT screen, you just wasted money on the PC lol. Personally, like Jacob said, I would get at least a 23" screen with 1080p. Stay away from LG, btw. I'm running a 22" and it's too small on 1080p D: I'm planning on getting a 24" next year, my eyes are going bad on this thing haha

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »
Ohh I missed that. Yeah, that makes sense. Good choice then.

Hmm ok. The 460 is cheaper and faster. Stupid nVidia and their naming scheme for the 400 series :P  I wish I knew this earlier :)

Hm, not bad. I'm a Thermaltake fan. (ha, pun, get it? lol) not realy.

I didn't see the case until you posted it. It looks interesting, I may have to try it out and buy one sometime :D   You should. I looked at the hardware reviews, and my CPU cooler should have the CPU around 20 C warmer, but I think my case has made it even more eficient. I have 3 HDDs in this thing and it barely makes any noise as long as my 2nd HDD stays off. (the one from the old PC)  I plan on clearing these HDDs and making a multiboot on it so my laptop HDD has OSX, my primary has the windows 7 on it, and the one from the old PC will have linux on it.

Ohh ok cool, gotcha. I was gonna say, if you're using just a CRT screen, you just wasted money on the PC lol. Personally, like Jacob said, I would get at least a 23" screen with 1080p. Stay away from LG, btw. I'm running a 22" and it's too small on 1080p D: I'm planning on getting a 24" next year, my eyes are going bad on this thing haha  I was thinking of a samsung with 2 HDMI ports on it so I could have 1 for the PC and 1 for something else like a PS3.

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »
I was thinking of a samsung with 2 HDMI ports on it so I could have 1 for the PC and 1 for something else like a PS3.

^ this. Samsung is a really good TV brand, I've bought around 10 of them over the years and they're still working with no problems. With my current monitor, I broke down and bought an LG monitor and it is a POS lol.

If you do plan on getting one, I do recommend a LED-backlit screen. For a few extra dollars, the black contrast ratio is amazing.

These two are practically the same, just minor differences: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600060968%20600029505%2050001077&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&CompareItemList=20|24-001-421^24-001-421-TS%2C24-001-440^24-001-440-TS

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
Im thinking of just getting a 32" HDTV set and connecting it to the pc. My dad just got one for the landing (you know, a 2nd living room)  I could also use the old PC screen and hang it above my bed so I could use it at night for watching movies or playing a game or 2.  Guess that kicks was WRONG, I can build a PC, and i do know what i'm doing!  I plan on compiling my pics into a video and posting it on youtube.  I will let you know when Im done.  BTW I've added a little mod of my own, 2 extra USB ports on the side of the PC.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:58:11 PM by RyanF »

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #174 on: November 12, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »
Guess that kicks was WRONG, I can build a PC, and i do know what i'm doing!

It's not that hard after a little research :)

I could also use the old PC screen and hang it above my bed so I could use it at night for watching movies or playing a game or 2.

Cool idea, but a CRT screen?! Hahaha until it falls and crushes your face :P  Sorry that's the first thing I thought of when I read that lol

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:39 AM »
LOL that wasn't the screen Im talking about. Im talking about the LCD. funny idea though.  Ive seen news reporters KO'd by stage lights before, but not a person sleeping then KO'd from an old white monitor smashing them in the face.  It would be interesting to see that in slow motion. :laughing:   Old PCs own literaly! :faint:

Offline Ennon

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
LOL that wasn't the screen Im talking about. Im talking about the LCD. funny idea though.  Ive seen news reporters KO'd by stage lights before, but not a person sleeping then KO'd from an old white monitor smashing them in the face.  It would be interesting to see that in slow motion. :laughing:   Old PCs own literaly! :faint:

I lol'd.

I assumed you meant a LCD screen, I just wanted to make sure hahaha. It would be hilarious to watch someone get pwn'd with a hanging CRT screen though :P

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »
Hey I found the news reporter vid :)
News reporter knocked out cold :censored:ing owned
hope you enjoy it  :laughing:

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »
I know what Im getting asap.  New LCD screen. the one I just got has some lines in it that are blurred to the point I cant read text on them anymore.  Its almost like smearing your finger on a watercolor picture after you just got out of the rain.  (even though I haven't had any for a month or 2)  Just glad I have my CRT monitor as a backup.  This LCD is getting kinda old anyways.  Its a 5 year old Dell.  I cant believe I already hit my 1st unresolvable problem within my 1st month of having this PC.  I guess this is what happens when you reuse stuff from an old PC.

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »
did it work on ur old pc?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal