Author Topic: Modding my PS3  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Drummist

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • New modder
Modding my PS3
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
Hi guy's, I have just purchased meself a knackered 60gb release console with the intention of modding it.

The thing is, I have never done a console before so could do with a hand.

I am looking to cut out the base and fit perspex in the cut outs and have 0603 LED's (green) lighting the inside up.

Also looking to cut open the middle section of the top and have 0603 (green again) shining through the smokey grey outer covering.

Also want to put some green 0603's shining through all the grills.

Possibly an extra fan if I can Jam one in.

What I need is a design (I have never been good at art - copying yes, origonal work, no)

Also need to know where I would draw the power for this undertaking.

I have a friend who has a pic hex for a 26 mode fade and flash that i may decide to incorperate instead of static on green's.

I need a starting point really..

Any Idea's would be greatly appreciated and I will Picture my progress on here..

Post Merge: September 10, 2010, 02:03:44 AM
Added,

Does anyone know if there is a t-cut type product for plastics??

I have a few blemishes I need to remove...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:03:45 AM by Drummist »

Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Offline BUDDHA_123

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • omg!!!! PS3
Re: Modding my PS3
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
modding is easy for the ps3, alright draw the power from the four cords going from the mobo to the disc drive, use the dark grey wire for positive and the middle light grey for negative, for the fans dont worry about it, just use a different thermal paste, its about the only thing you can do while still keeping the ps3 in best condition, I never use transistors or resistors, just 30 guage wrapping wire, its worked just fine for me, oh and try not to put more than 48 volts of extras of it will mess with the graphics, I would just use a bunch of led strips from walmart or even better auto zone, good luck

Post Merge: September 10, 2010, 08:58:31 AM
oh and check my posts if you wanna see what I've done, its all easy
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:58:31 AM by BUDDHA_123 »

Offline Drummist

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • New modder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »
Hi There,

Thanks for the info however, The drive cables I have are not coloured like yours. I have 4 wires in 1 plug, the 1 closest to the back is black and the other 3 are all the same colour grey with no additional markings......

I intend to use 0603's which use so little power it's almost not worth mentioning. I have already removed the YLOD by heating and resetting the CPU/GPU and applying new arctic silver. I just want to really modify this PS3 so It is no way stock!!

Still need a design for the case though....

Offline BUDDHA_123

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • omg!!!! PS3
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »
then use the black as neg and the grey in the middle as pos

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:47:53 PM »
A roto-zip would cut the plastic well.  would actually cut it instead of melting it. better then a dremel or any other abrasive tools like the dremel.  dremel would cut it but will melt the plastic and then you would have to debur the melted plastic. Just have to gave a good hand in cutting it out. Personally I would machine it. yet thats alot more work unless you know someone who has machining experiance . also pre-drilling the holes near the corners will keep it from a sharp corner and cracking. would leave a nice radius in the corners and more professional looking with rounded corners and smooth looking

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Drummist

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • New modder
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »
A roto-zip would cut the plastic well.  would actually cut it instead of melting it. better then a dremel or any other abrasive tools like the dremel.  dremel would cut it but will melt the plastic and then you would have to debur the melted plastic. Just have to gave a good hand in cutting it out. Personally I would machine it. yet thats alot more work unless you know someone who has machining experiance . also pre-drilling the holes near the corners will keep it from a sharp corner and cracking. would leave a nice radius in the corners and more professional looking with rounded corners and smooth looking
Hi There,

I just noticed your post after a test on a 360 case I was sent by a friend to MOD.

I have just finished the majority of the cutting and I must say, using a Dremel is hard work.

I found out the hard way what u mean by the Dremel melting it. Good Job I didn't go right to the edge with the Dremel.

Now to hand tool it down to finished product.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:08:05 PM by Drummist »

Offline Surge

• Doctor of Systems old and new.
  • Registered BST
  • Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Dr.Surge - PsP Repair Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
I would Recomend getting the Intercooler in this link http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1043
and getting custom Fans for it.
I used 2 40x40x20mm Red LED fans with 7200RPM in back
and a 70x70x15mm Red LED fan for the side with around 6800 RPM.
Kinda loud but the fans almost Harmonic, and I am fond of noisy fans. makes it sound like an engine u know :P

Theoretically you could draw power from the intercooler's internal Power Supply Unit (or directly from the AC leads) and just mod a plug in to the back of your PS3 that you can connect or disconnect easily.

You can also possibly mod part of the intercooler with a USB hub too. Quite a few spots of space to do so in.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:32:03 AM by Surge »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal