Author Topic: PSP runs REALLY HOT! What the?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Radiken

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
PSP runs REALLY HOT! What the?
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
I have a PSP 2001 with a TA-085 MOBO.

A while back I did a speaker and LED mod. Nothing special. Yesterday I took my UMD door off with the speaker. I left the wire in the back unprotected. I was playing a game and everything was fine. Then I set my PSP, still on, onto my bed. I came back 30 minutes later. My PSP was very warm. The right speaker crackled when music is playing (It is blown. Other speakers sound fine).

I disassembled the PSP inspected and reassembled it. No audio out of headphone jack or speakers afterwards. Opened it up again and bypassed the fuse. Now everything is almost fine again - except the heat.

I noticed when the fuse was blown, it was nice and cool. Could this be the opamp or audio processor (if the PSP has one)? Is there any hope of saving it? This is really hot to the touch. Not within safe limits.

I can't believe I was so absentminded. I would really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks you.! :
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:07:07 PM by Radiken »

Offline .:M@x!W:.

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: PSP runs REALLY HOT! What the?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:11:42 AM »
Maybe it shorted :S and btw i bridged my psp fuse too and it gets hot to the touch when i charge a battery with it :/

Offline loboplayero

• hardcore psp modder!!
  • MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-0
  • specialize in psp led lighting!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
ok i have been thru this before!!! there must be a wire touching somewhere? if i was you i remove all led mods and than try without the mods to see if it gets hot, but im sure is a wire touching the mobo or metal  :winker: let me know what happens i might help with problem pm me if you want lobo.

Offline Radiken

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »
ok i have been thru this before!!! there must be a wire touching somewhere? if i was you i remove all led mods and than try without the mods to see if it gets hot, but im sure is a wire touching the mobo or metal  :winker: let me know what happens i might help with problem pm me if you want lobo.

I'll open it up and unsolder the LED's. Only when the external speakers are on this happens, so this is probably the case.  :yess:

Post Merge: November 17, 2010, 12:05:30 PM
Still is overheating. WTF?  :eyebrow: :dntknw:

Post Merge: November 17, 2010, 12:13:17 PM
I know what component is heating up now. It has a small sinewave symbol on it. wm1800g 798wpls is what is written on it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:13:17 PM by Radiken »

Offline loboplayero

• hardcore psp modder!!
  • MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »
is the speaker probaly touching the back of the mobo? so without the speaker it doesnt get hot,make sure u got a little room dont let the magnet touch back.

Offline Radiken

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »
Everything is unsoldered. No speakers attached. There is nothing shorting the pins out. My fuse fix is not touching anything.  :sadno:

Offline loboplayero

• hardcore psp modder!!
  • MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »
ok so no mods on but its still getting hot  :sadno: ok check for any solder spills on board u said before u solder a fuse right?

Offline Radiken

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:29:58 PM »
The fuse bypass is fine. Even before the fuse blew it was getting very hot. Researching the IC, it does not even seem to be related to the audio in any way.

Offline 123sample

• Registered BST
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:53:39 AM »
strange, did you use genuine sony battery?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal