Author Topic: Bye Bye Mr.Router  (Read 1408 times)

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
Bye Bye Mr.Router
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
The Wi-Fi alliance sounds like an attempt to recreate star wars, but they have created something called Wi-Fi direct, it lets Wi-Fi enabled devices communicate to each other without the need for a router.

The Wi-Fi alliance is actually a group of Wi-Fi product producing companies, the new Wi-Fi Direct protocol lets the two devices, both certified by the alliance, to communicate with each other with no router or access point.

Wi-Fi Direct was designed to connect devices anytime, anywhere. Devices include a push-button setup mechanism. They use the latest WPA2 security protection.

WPA2 is the second generation of the WiFi Protected Access protocol developed by the Wi-Fi Alliance. It implements the full IEEE 802.11k standard. WPA2 introduces CCMP, a new Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)-based encryption mode with strong security.

The Wi-Fi Alliance has already begun certifying Wi-Fi Direct devices. A certified Wi-Fi Direct Device can connect with existing 802.11 a/g/n devices provided they are also WiFi certified.

-Fren

PS. if there is enough interest I will do another report, but the girlfriend was over today and almost forgot about AM :P

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Bye Bye Mr.Router
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
I dont see how that REMOVES the router out of the equation..

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
well they said it was setup more as an additional thing to routers but can remove it in certain circumstances

Offline aZiZ1

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:59:05 PM »
i can see it reducing the need for accesspoints but u cant just remove wired computers out of the equation..

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:25:23 AM »
Isn't this just another apparition of Ad-hoc? Just easier to use?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal