Author Topic: SMD LEDs question  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Axl

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
SMD LEDs question
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:11:49 AM »
everywhere i read people say that the 0603 smd leds are best suited for the trigger mod, I have one small question, i have lying around at home some 3528 SMD LEDs (around 50)...are they good for the easy (soldering them directly to the speaker) trigger mod? or do i need to use the lm382?

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
Re: SMD LEDs question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:49:40 AM »
I assume you're talking about the sound reactive mod. You can really use any size LED that will fit in the space where you will mount the LED. everyone uses 0603 LEDs because they are so small and can be mounted in very small spaces. The 3528 size you have is approximately 3mm x 3mm x 2mm compared to the 0603 which is about 1/3 to 1/4 that size. I'm not sure how much space is available in the recommended mounting area for that mod, but the 0603 would take up far less space (and most likely use less power) though it will be slightly more difficult to solder. The choice is yours honestly. The only way you'll know is to test fit the LEDs that you have...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Axl

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:34:01 AM »
I assume you're talking about the sound reactive mod. You can really use any size LED that will fit in the space where you will mount the LED. everyone uses 0603 LEDs because they are so small and can be mounted in very small spaces. The 3528 size you have is approximately 3mm x 3mm x 2mm compared to the 0603 which is about 1/3 to 1/4 that size. I'm not sure how much space is available in the recommended mounting area for that mod, but the 0603 would take up far less space (and most likely use less power) though it will be slightly more difficult to solder. The choice is yours honestly. The only way you'll know is to test fit the LEDs that you have...
I hope i'm not asking for too much but could you please tell me the full name for some good red 0603 smd leds? for example i found KP-1608SRC-PRV...are the good?

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:01:12 PM »
Ebay is a good place. I buy from NTE's catalog; the part number for the RED 0603 equivalent are the NTE30006 blue is NTE30004 i think...

good luck man :tup:

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »
I usually get all my components from www.mouser.com, they have a very easy search tool where you can pic any spec to use to narrow down your search...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Axl

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »
apparently the shop in my area that usually has a lot off electronic s:censored:t doesen't have 0603 smd's...only led's like the ones i have (3528), my option is to order them and the minimum amount that i can order is 65 pieces and they would be in stoc just in feb. or something like that. i know the 3528 LEDs take up more space but i think they could work with the lm386...right?

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »
I don't know honestly... I will tell you that if you order from mouser.com you can order as few as 1 or as many as they have in stock (the more you buy the cheaper they are, bulk discount). they also have very fast shipping. I usually receive mouser orders within 3 days... check out some online parts suppliers before you order anything from a local retailer...

Offline Axl

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 01:52:15 AM »
I don't know honestly... I will tell you that if you order from mouser.com you can order as few as 1 or as many as they have in stock (the more you buy the cheaper they are, bulk discount). they also have very fast shipping. I usually receive mouser orders within 3 days... check out some online parts suppliers before you order anything from a local retailer...

the thing is that i don't know if they can ship the parts to romania, and IF they can how much would it cost? :dntknw:...i think my only option is to wait until after the holidays and order them via my local electronics shop...it's sucks when you can't get the parts you need :laughing: , or in my case just half the parts :huh:

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
I don't know if mouser ships internationally. I would say try the mod with what you have before you buy anything from anywhere...

Offline Axl

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »
i just found 6 0603 leds on an old mobile phone i have :tup:...i think they are white, anyway i'm just happy i found some :hifive:, the thing is i just need to solder them off ...that's not going to be that hard

Offline maniacse

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BlackBerry User
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 12:05:09 PM »
I used leds from old nokia 3100 motherboard for my wifi and ms led mod. I read semewhere better way to remove smd leds from board then soldering: cut it with scalpel or anything sharp and small. Its better, cos I always destroy some leds with heat, when I try to releas it.
Sony PSP 1004, Nintedo NDSi, Blackberry 8100, 8120, 7290, VW Golf Mk1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal