Author Topic: E74 to rrod  (Read 1278 times)

Offline gimmexdatxbrain

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Get spanked!
E74 to rrod
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
Hi, this is my first post!

Ive been working on my friends xbox 360 which had E74 with the code 0102. I attempted the reflow that crazy-modder showed in his tutorial with the griddle and a heat gun. I payed close attention to the hana chip as well because from what I understand is an area for concern. After that i did the x clamp fix with some arctic 5 compound and put it back together. Now it is giving the 3 red rings of death with the code 02... I thought it was strange becuase it gives 4 digits when you press the eject button and the sync button but now its giving me only 2 digits. Ive done a couple of x clamp fixes and ive never had this much of an issue and i cant find anything in detail about it. Ive tried loosening the x clamps tightening(not too much to crack the dye though) taking it apart and reapplying thermal compound and the, umm cooking process with the gpu. Should i do a motherboard pinout check with every little thing on the mobo? Any suggestions, tips, and recommendations much appreciated. :beg:
Hoodlum Customs

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
Re: E74 to rrod
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
Sometimes you can heat the board up too much and cause the solder under th chips to melt together.

I had this happen to me when i was new to reflowing and basically sometimes you can screw up the system to a point it can not find out exactly what the issue is.

- The xbox is still salvageable but you may have to reball the pins on the HANA chip or the GPU.

Since its an 0102 it could be a possibility your RAM chips and or the CPU can go bad but thats least likely to issue the E74 error.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:44:19 PM »
i had this and it was my memory ive not bothered to fix or try so im in the same way if there's a fix ill like to know
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline gimmexdatxbrain

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Get spanked!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:10 PM »
well, i definetely noticed that the ram chips had some sort of heat pads on them already, im guessing this was a previous issue and was sent to microsoft before. i found someone talking about it when they had sent their box in and then said person tore it apart to see what they did. it was a youtube video from what i can remember. anyways, ill try to reheat it and see what happens ill let you guys know whats up.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:21:22 PM by gimmexdatxbrain »
Hoodlum Customs

Offline DARk_ANGEL

• Acidmods Rocks!!!
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
um i think your talking about error 0002 try loosening the screws up a bit not all the way and try it

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
0102 is one of those errors where the entire chipset can have issues but more specifically you have the E74... that rules out RAM/CPU/GPU almost in an instant so its more likely your HANA and just maybe your GPU even though i said its already ruled out. Theres a slight chance your GPU can have problems.

BTW what motherboard are you trying to repair?

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
90% of the time, 0102 is a gpu error

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
90% of the time, 0102 is a gpu error

Weird. Any non-xenon E74 for me never had to reflow the GPU.

Offline gimmexdatxbrain

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Get spanked!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
Ive tried loosening up the screws with no results, and im not sure exactly what kind of board it is. any links to where i can find out what kind of board it is? Ive also read that the gpu is usually the main reason for 0102 but its not giving that reading anymore. It is only giving off 02 which could be 0002 but idk. havent gotten a chance to reheat or anything. Where should i go from here?
Hoodlum Customs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal