Author Topic: Microsoft welcomes Xbox Kinect 'hackers'  (Read 1703 times)

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
Microsoft welcomes Xbox Kinect 'hackers'
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »
Microsoft is to open up its Xbox Kinect technology to allow amateur software developers to experiment with it.

The company is to release a software development kit in the spring, which will give developers access to the secrets behind the technology.

For now it will only be for personal use, but Microsoft says it will release a commercial version in due course.

Kinect, which turns the player's body into a game controller, has been a big hit since it launched last November.

It has already captured the imagination of the hacker community, which has been demonstrating various uses for the technology, including 3D photography.

Microsoft is hoping that an army of smarter developers will now find more ways to take Kinect to the next level.

"As breakthrough technologies like these reach scale, the resulting creativity and invention will open up a whole new world of possibilities for computing," said Craig Mundie, Microsoft's chief research and strategy officer.

The announcement was made during an open day at Microsoft's research centre near Seattle.

The company is hoping that the success of Kinect, developed by its own scientists, can give it a greater presence in the home entertainment field.

Fren .FREN.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:55:44 PM by TwisTtheTwiTcH »

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
Re: Microsoft welcomes Xbox Kinect 'hackers'
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:40:32 PM »
Wow...i really do hate Microsoft. They are against people hacking games and banning people from xbox live but then they contradict themselves and now they support hackers as long as it benefits them. That craig douche has got to be one of the biggest douche bags ever. I think hackers should take the kinect and some how use it against Microsoft.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:40:53 PM by crazy-modder »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »
I think it's great they're willing to play nice with these guys. Between this and the WP7 thing, Microsoft seems to be far more willing to play nice with hackers and devs than do apple or sony, so I say more power to em. well played, sir. next time just come up with a better mobile os and phone and that might steal the show for you...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Bonz

• I'm Back Baby
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +3/-1
  • 2 1337 4 u
    • Bonznumber1
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:15:40 PM »
i think microsoft just did this to look good during the sony lawsuit this way all the pissed off sony ppl will move to xbox but we all know in the end Micro$oft will find a way to F it up!... likew they will start taking the ideas of thease spair time devs and there is nothing anyone can do about it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal