Author Topic: 360 slim research  (Read 2222 times)

Offline DubbedTheBeast

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
360 slim research
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »
i have been trying to look up some things on the 360 slim but im having trouble finding them. i know i have seen a disassembly tut here in the past but i can't find it, not even using the search feature. also i can't seem to find a pin out for the ROL or power sources for LEDs and if you can use the disc drive power source for LEDs. i haven't managed to get my hands on a cheap slim yet but im looking, i just want to learn some things about it in advance. can anyone help me?

techninjadude

Re: 360 slim research
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:27:04 AM »
Id love to, I am conducting a Experiment once I get some cash.
I will try putting a 500gb harddrive on the slim, although it might not work, Its worth trying because Im bored.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:09:02 AM »
Just do like everyone did on the fat 360, take power from the underside of the power jack. use your multimeter you should expect to find sources of 12v and 5v there.

Id love to, I am conducting a Experiment once I get some cash.
I will try putting a 500gb harddrive on the slim, although it might not work, Its worth trying because Im bored.

also youre not sctually are you?!?!? i mean we all just told you its not gonna work, and those drives ent cheap...

techninjadude

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:39:38 AM »
Dont worry because my laptop needs a upgrade, dat is if it dnt work

edit:

Dubbed the beast I have a slim, but Im too scared to hurt its feelings by opening it, so I think I wanna get some confidence first.
I wanna make a xbox laptop, I guess It might be hard, but Im thinking of putting it in a computer case

Do not double post, the 'modify' button is there for a reason, please use it.
-jrfhoutx

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:40:15 AM by jrfhoutx »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
A- Putting any drive into any 360 that is not an official size that MS sells WILL NOT WORK unless your 360 has been jtagged, and the slim can not currently (if ever) be jtagged. do not waste your time, effort, or money. I don't know how many times we have to tell you this will not work before you get it through your head.

B- Xbox Laptops are EXTREMELY difficult to make. If you aren't even comfortable opening your slim then you really shouldn't even attempt making a 360 laptop. If you really want to see how much time, effort, and money go into making one, then go look at Ben Heck's site. It is truly beyond what most people are willing to do and spend money on. There's a reason BenHeck charges thousands of dollars for 360 laptops...

C- part of being a good modder is knowing your own skill level, knowledge level and abilities what that limits you in currently making and then improving that skill level and ability in a reasonable manner, as well as taking advice from those more skilled, able, and knowledgeable than yourself...

edit:

@DubbedTheBeast: I don't know that we ever had a disassembly tutorial for the 360 slim... I'm fairly certain I would have seen that on the front page if we had it... as for power points etc. I don't know of any place that has really played around much with the slim, so I really don't know where you'd find any but just like with any other console, the best way is to start poking around with your multimeter.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:00:27 AM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

techninjadude

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »
I know about the hard drive thing, but I have a idea, and it will work.
The xbox laptop is pretty hard and easy you just need the stuff, because it really dosnt require alot.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
The xbox laptop is pretty hard and easy you just need the stuff, because it really dosnt require alot.

i really cannot wait to see either of these, you HAVE to post whatever your results are. LOL

and without a CNC router and a shed load of money it is very difficult, i thought about making one, came up with all the designs and modified the xbox and such but decided i would not be able to achieve a decent quality case with average hobbyist tools.

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
You're idea for the hard drive will NOT work... you have been told by people for a reason. Here on AM we have ranks and post count for a reason, you have been told by people with high ratings in both of those... You can trust them that it won't work. They aren't new to the scene of modding tech... but if you want to waste time and money then go ahead.

And making an xbox laptop is EXTREMELY hard... For many reasons. Especially if you want it to to look pleasing, you can't just use another laptops housing, you build the laptop first and then make your own case from there. Then there's desoldering ports... Modifying the heatsinks so that they can fit... It's definitely not easy in any category. If you aren't comfortable about taking your screwdriver set, and opening your console and putting it back together working, there's no point of even thinking about trying an xbox laptop...

techninjadude

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 02:50:18 AM »
Laptop harddrive is pretty hard, but that's just because none of us have the stuff to make it so we under estimate it.

But that is pretty hardcore tech

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 04:07:47 AM »
Laptop harddrive is pretty hard, but that's just because none of us have the stuff to make it so we under estimate it.

But that is pretty hardcore tech

well actually i do have the tech to try it, but i also have this other thing called COMMON SENSE so i know i do not need to try it as it wont work...

techninjadude

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 05:59:36 AM »
I would listen to the pro's, but in reality there is no difference between my mental nature.
that why my news years resoulotion is to shut up and work. because I had so many called real friends, they would
advise me and tell me, and help me but no, there misleading me, thats the truth of humen nature, people never want you to be better that them. I hope this is good advice, for you, and I say this even if you always had true intentions for people like me.
I am going to start somewere, my uncle is a pro and engineering and technology, as good as the high rank modders, my dad is a pro electronic engineering. I will make them help me guide me in my concept.

I will start and make a post on my results, and what have I done so far.

Although I know people say it wont work because you need jtag and it the official maximum...... NOT FOR ME
Someone will make it work, and why wait, I have no time.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:02:21 AM by techninjadude »

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »
I would listen to the pro's, but in reality there is no difference between my mental nature.
that why my news years resoulotion is to shut up and work. because I had so many called real friends, they would
advise me and tell me, and help me but no, there misleading me, thats the truth of humen nature, people never want you to be better that them. I hope this is good advice, for you, and I say this even if you always had true intentions for people like me.
I am going to start somewere, my uncle is a pro and engineering and technology, as good as the high rank modders, my dad is a pro electronic engineering. I will make them help me guide me in my concept.

I will start and make a post on my results, and what have I done so far.

Although I know people say it wont work because you need jtag and it the official maximum...... NOT FOR ME
Someone will make it work, and why wait, I have no time.

PAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and FYI any real pro in engineering would take one look at what you are trying to do and laugh in your face just as i have...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:07:04 AM by hyper999 »

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 08:01:39 AM »
Look. I'm not going to say 'don't do it' or 'you're an idiot for trying this', but the fact remains that there isn't a plausible way to do a mod such as this yet. I mean before even trying to make an xbox laptop or switch the hard drive, you have to be completely, 200% sure that you have a valid way of executing your idea.

The best in software modding for the XBOX 360 are still at adding custom hard drives that the new 360 firmware will actually recognise. The top in the field are having trouble at this. I'm pretty sure most of us, you included would have no idea even where to start compared to them.

Secondly, I like your attitude, put your approach to other people is wrong. Please learn from other people's experiences.

Now, let's get this thread back on topic :)

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
look, tech, I know you have good intentions, you want to learn, and you're ambitious, but seriously listen to those who have been there before and watched others before you try the same things. none of us are telling you not to do it because we want to mislead you or because we don't want you to be better than us, but because we don't want to see you waste your time and effort and possibly destroy your hardware. I would love nothing more than to see you become the next F00f00, but with your attitude and stubbornness I don't see that happening. we're telling you it will not work because, get ready for this shocker... IT WON"T WORK! Go ahead get your uncle and your father to help, unless they can sign 360 hardware it won't matter.

the HDDs are just like the DVD drives, only specific ones will work on the 360. it's not just a matter of hooking up a laptop HDD, it's about which specific devices have been added to the HDD header by MS and having a working hddss.bin from a working 360 in an official HDD capacity, otherwise your drive won't even be recognized. if you have no idea what I just said then don't even go any further until you at least look into what is actually involved in hacking a larger capacity drive for use with a 360. If no one has made it work in all these years I highly doubt you will be the one to get it working.

Here are the supported device types for the 360 HDD (supported in 20, 60, 80, 120, and 250GB capacities):

- WD Scorpio Series BEVS/BEAS
- WD Scorpio Blue Series BEVS/BEVT
- WD Scorpio Black Series BEKT/BJKT
- WD VelociRaptor Series
- WD Scorpio Blue Series BPVT
- WD AV-25 Series BUDT

take it from someone who has been hacking PCs and game consoles longer than you have been alive, DON'T BOTHER TRYING, IT WILL NOT WORK.

So as hidden said, enough of this BS, keep pushing the issue tech and I will re-enable the post approvals for you and you will face the same posting restrictions famas has had for the last month.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:12:16 AM by jrfhoutx »

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

techninjadude

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »
Does anyone know the exact size for xbox 250gb harddrive.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
2.5" western digital sata of the aforementioned types in my post above...

techninjadude

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »
I mean, you know the official hard drive, like what the real size it is, not rounded. So its not 250gb like 247.5 gb or is it actually 250gb.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:52:28 AM by techninjadude »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
it's a 250GB western digital, the size that you wind up with after the header and formatting is different simply because of the file system and data for formatting and header...

see that's one of the points people are making, if you don't even understand the drive sizes and how the header format and file system work, then you really have no business even considering or attempting anything with it... it's great that you have a can-do attitude and the ambition to take something on, but lacking the requisite knowledge of simple HDD file structure and formatting should tell you that this is beyond your scope and capabilities... I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't know how many times and in how many ways it needs to be said before you understand that what you want to do just isn't possible right now, by you or by anyone else...

So, since this thread has gone way off topic and some people insist on not dropping things, I am going to lock this thread until I either determine if I can make posts to this thread require approval, or restrict an individual to requiring post approval...

Sorry DubbedTheBeast...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:46:29 PM by jrfhoutx »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal