Author Topic: Hard Gpu Question  (Read 1683 times)

techninjadude

Hard Gpu Question
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
If you are Computing literate answer this question otherwise, don't present your rubbish.
My Previous Crossfire Ready Graphics Card has broke, it displays no video in all ports, my dad yanked out the VGA cable and broke the clamps and, which to my conclusion the Graphics card is shorted, otherwise the fan still works, I have bought a Asus 6850 to ride my computer, I am going to get it delivered at my house after tomorrow, will I be able to put both of my Graphics Cards in Crossfire Mode, because the old  one is shorted ( Short Circuited ).

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
Re: Hard Gpu Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
So, is it a VGA port or a DVI port with a DVI-VGA adapter?

I wouldn't worry about running dual cards until you fix the short! You're risking motherboard damage, and possible damage to anything else in it's circuit. Is there any blown capacitors on the board from when he yanked it? I would get a new VGA or DVI plug and resolder it, that's probably where your short is, and if any caps blew, replace those before you even plug it in.

In the meantime, you've got your new card, so run that, fix the other and then go for dual.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:36:31 PM by DuctTapedGoat »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »
You can crossfire...but only if your previous card is a 68xx series as well. You can only crossfire a card in the same series. For example, you can crossfire a 6870 and a 6850 but not a 6850 and a 5970.

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:19:33 AM »
Don't forget though - he wants to use his broken card to use the GPU RAM to boost his new card.

I say, no dice!

You seriously risk damaging your stuff if you even try it, no joke.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:31:02 AM by DuctTapedGoat »

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »
i doubt its shorted.

im sure you have but i ask any way. You have reseated the card and tried it with a new VGA cable? If it still doesn’t work double check the pins did not break off in the VGA port on the card.

It would also be easyer to tell you if the two cards were compatible if we knew what the original card was. We know your getting a asus 6850 but what would you be attempting to hook it to in crossfire

techninjadude

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:47:14 AM »
You can crossfire...but only if your previous card is a 68xx series as well. You can only crossfire a card in the same series. For example, you can crossfire a 6870 and a 6850 but not a 6850 and a 5970.

Thanks man, I almost forgot about that, problem solved, LOL. I will just dump my old one since its 3rd Gen palit GPU and mine is 6Gen asus, I got it today its beautiful but it takes hell of a lot of power.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
Eh the power isn't TOO bad. I love them, though. I'm running two 6870s in crossfire and a 5770 for extra monitors. They're so awesome. Good to hear your problem's solved

techninjadude

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:12:08 AM »
i doubt its shorted.

im sure you have but i ask any way. You have reseated the card and tried it with a new VGA cable? If it still doesn’t work double check the pins did not break off in the VGA port on the card.

It would also be easyer to tell you if the two cards were compatible if we knew what the original card was. We know your getting a asus 6850 but what would you be attempting to hook it to in crossfire

I tried different monitors, and I tried all the ports the DVI and HDMI, and the VGA. Other wise I would have solved the problem somehow.

The Gpu is great. it took ages to install windows, because my computer wont boot from the DVD and the Pre-installed windows was corrupted due the Display drivers, but In the end I  managed to fix it, LOL I exploited it, I ran the windows from the windows startup repair. I am a Genius,!!! sometimes when I know my stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal