Author Topic: Xbox controller works but led ring lights dont anymore after change???  (Read 9304 times)

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Ok i changed the lights out of my xbox controller to blue and everything worked.  it's a cg board and i know some cg boards don't work with blue lights, but this one was bright blue when i installed them.  i also installed a rapid fire kit.  and some of the wires were exposed from the 30 gauge wrapping, but i didn't think a big deal since i would hot glue it so none of them touched other wires.  i tested the controller and all lights and mod worked.  everything i would shoot with the rapid fire my lights would get dim per shot and then when i tried to turn on the controller they blinked once and didn't turn on.  i had to hold down the guide button several times for it to turn on the lights.  and now NO LIGHTS the controller still works! but no ring of lights anymore, even the rapid fire works! lol i tried to change to another light and it's like it's getting no juice.  i even took off the rapid fire.  any thoughts? what happened?

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
I would say you either blew a fuse or burnt out the LEDs but since you say you put a different color LED and those don't work either, I would stick with a blown fuse...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
some pictures might help.

but for now how are you powering the controller? have you tried it with a play and charge kit plugged in?

because the reason the blue LEDs don't work so well in controllers is that they have a higher forward voltage (turning on voltage) than most other colour LEDs, and as your batteries discharge the voltage they output gradually drops, so the problem could be that when you first tried it the batteries were quite new/well charged and as you have used the controller and the batteries have discharged, the voltage they output has dropped bellow the required forward voltage of the blue LEDs.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
not to argue, but everyone always says that, but I have never had the LEDs get dimmer as the battery dies. My blue LEDs always work right up until the controller shuts off (Matrix or CG, never mattered), they never dimmed as people say, but they do get brighter when I plug in a PnC cable...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
not to argue, but everyone always says that, but I have never had the LEDs get dimmer as the battery dies. My blue LEDs always work right up until the controller shuts off (Matrix or CG, never mattered), they never dimmed as people say, but they do get brighter when I plug in a PnC cable...

nor have i, but i have never used blue ones. my explanation was based on theory, and as we all know just because something should happen in theory doesn't mean its going to happen in real life.

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
so i guess there's no way to fix the blown fuse? I tried another color in place of a blue light but still no juice.  it's weird because the controller still works, but no lights.  how do you blow a fuse? just the installation? they were working fine and even with the rapid fire on too, but like 5 mins into it everything went dark...

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
some pictures might help.

but for now how are you powering the controller? have you tried it with a play and charge kit plugged in?

because the reason the blue LEDs don't work so well in controllers is that they have a higher forward voltage (turning on voltage) than most other colour LEDs, and as your batteries discharge the voltage they output gradually drops, so the problem could be that when you first tried it the batteries were quite new/well charged and as you have used the controller and the batteries have discharged, the voltage they output has dropped bellow the required forward voltage of the blue LEDs.

ok just tried the plug and play, i have blue lights!!!! so there isn't enough power for the blue lights on the cg board? how come the white lights i tried to put in didn't work.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
if you pugged in a PnC and the lights work then you haven't blown a fuse, if a fuse were blown the lights wouldn't work even with the PnC plugged in. Like Blue LEDs, white LEDs have a higher forward voltage requirement. Are your batteries fully charged?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:51:15 AM by jrfhoutx »

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
ok just tried the plug and play, i have blue lights!!!! so there isn't enough power for the blue lights on the cg board? how come the white lights i tried to put in didn't work.

because white LEDs are very similar to blue ones and also have a high forward voltage, so for the LEDs to work you will need to use a PnC all the time, or recharge/replace the batteries alot, or replace the blue LEDs with some that have a lower forward voltage.

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
if you pugged in a PnC and the lights work then you haven't blown a fuse, if a fuse were blown the lights wouldn't work even with the PnC plugged in. Like Blue LEDs, white LEDs have a higher forward voltage requirement. Are your batteries fully charged?

yes my batteries are fully charged i tried the double AA pack and the recharge, no blue lights.  PNC in blue lights.  i just changed to red lights and battery pack works and recharge pack works.  Thanks for your help guys! Acid Mods forum members are the best!

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
Re: Xbox controller works but led ring lights dont anymore after change???
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
yes my batteries are fully charged i tried the double AA pack and the recharge, no blue lights.  PNC in blue lights.  i just changed to red lights and battery pack works and recharge pack works.  Thanks for your help guys! Acid Mods forum members are the best!

yes, red LEDs have the lowest forward voltage so they will work fine all the time.

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »
yes, red LEDs have the lowest forward voltage so they will work fine all the time.

Thanks!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »

I have, but its usually with high mcd leds. the higher brightnessrating, the higher fw/current draw. I had a batch one time, when I used the RF they would pulse dimer with the rf pulse.  I bought the right blue leds and never had these problems anymore. most people look for something like "super bright 0603 leds and this is what happens. as most people dont know the difference between one blue led and another blue led.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:05:39 AM by modded matt »

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »
I have, but its usually with high mcd leds. the higher brightnessrating, the higher fw/current draw. I had a batch one time, when I used the RF they would pulse dimer with the rf pulse.  I bought the right blue leds and never had these problems anymore. most people look for something like "super bright 0603 leds and this is what happens. as most people dont know the difference between one blue led and another blue led.

what leds do you recommend to work best with all boards? are they on ebay, what "type" do i need to get, because i would like to install lights of any color to any board.

Offline spurgurgle

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • call me spurg
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
i get my leds from phenoptics on ebay .... he's uk based i think so not sure if he sends to the us... but all of his leds are good quality and work great on pads.... bar the uv purple leds as there fw-v is far to high for a 3v battery to operate

Sigs made by Ken and blazin from the AM Art team cheers guys.....
Spurgurgle d.t com
"I'm kinda like a typo, not quite right, but most people still understand me"

Offline sgtmajorsav

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
i get my leds from phenoptics on ebay .... he's uk based i think so not sure if he sends to the us... but all of his leds are good quality and work great on pads.... bar the uv purple leds as there fw-v is far to high for a 3v battery to operate

so his white and blue leds work on cg boards too?

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »
so his white and blue leds work on cg boards too?

i can vouch for the white LEDs from phenoptix.

also as a general rule of thumb standard brightness LEDs are more likely to work than Super bright or anything like that.

Offline Oglesan

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »
Xbox wired controllers can handle all colors and brightnesses of LEDs. red orange yellow and green run at 3v and blue white purple and pink and others run at 5v. just thought id get this info out there

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
Xbox wired controllers can handle all colors and brightnesses of LEDs. red orange yellow and green run at 3v and blue white purple and pink and others run at 5v. just thought id get this info out there

not necessarily i could find you a red LED with a higher forward voltage than a blue LED, but as a general rule; red orange and yellow leds have a lover forward voltage than blue white and purple.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline K.A.O.

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »
im not sure if your question is  already answered, i couldnt fallow the conversations lol. but, you might have the LED's in backwards?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:25:53 PM by K.A.O. »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 05:39:42 AM »
no^^^

Offline Oglesan

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
Xbox wired controllers can handle all colors and brightnesses of LEDs. red orange yellow and green run at 3v and blue white purple and pink and others run at 5v.

-Sorry guys i should hav said as a general rule of thumb ^^

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »
it's still not even a general rule of thumb. personally I have yet to run into a blue 0603 that requires more than 3.7v, and same with white...

Offline phenoptix

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • Phenoptix
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 08:32:19 AM »
Thought I'd pop by the boards for a change and spotted the tread! Some excellent posts on here some even recommending us (they got a good post vote!! :clap:). A more general and accurate rule of thumb is that yellow, orange and red are usually 2Vish, with blue, green, white around 3V. UV is usually a bit higher and we're still trying to source some that work well on all controllers.

I think the OP problem was most probably just down to high Vf leds, fingers crossed not from us! Although I think that's been well established by now!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal