Author Topic: PSP phat Led mod help (not working)  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
PSP phat Led mod help (not working)
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
Ok this is my first :taunt: led mod in my psp. and its not working ou too well. I have been looking around and nothing is working for me... i want to do the LM386 sound reactive mod, but i am still on order for the resistors. so i just want to wire like 4 leds to the back of my UMD door. I have made a UMD jewel and removed the UMD drive components[since it doesn't work anyway. i used this tut as a guiding point. https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,27396.0.html but i cant get it to work i did everything it says i have to [except using resistors] and it doesn't lite up. so i used my multi meter and it doesn't show any voltage coming out. can i wire the leds to any other place on the mobo so it goes on when i turn on my psp.

thanks

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
Re: PSP phat Led mod help (not working)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
you must always use resistors for leds when dealing with a voltage of more than 3 volts.
most probably your led's are burnt out due to the high voltage(next time use a 10k ohm resistor)

I would suggest you try the sound reactive led mod and wire the leds to the speakers.
The solder points on the speakers are much bigger than the ones on the powerboard so it would be easier too.
"A Gamer is only as good as his hardware"

techninjadude

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
u probable put the leds the wrong way, use ur meter to power them up to test if they are actually working.

Which mod are you trying to do. Sound reactive or just hold switch activated.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 01:00:32 PM »
a 10K ohm resistor is a big big for LEDs being powered by 3 volts.

Google up 'resistor calculator' and it will tell you exactly what resistor value you should buy. *But heres a pro tip about resistor calculators... they will tell you you might need a 108.6 ohm resistor... they don't make 108.6 ohm resistors as a standard, so just round it to the nearest value... you can round 108.6 ohms down to 100 ohms etc.... go out and buy the standard value

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:09:53 AM »
thanks for all the help!

> my leds are still working, i'll get some resistors then.
>yea for now just hold switch activated cuz im still waiting for the resistors for using the LM386 sound reactive mod.

i tried wiring them to the speaker, but its not as bright as i want them to be. so ill get some resistors and wire them for hold switch activated

thanks again for all the help!  :hifive:

EDIT: i'm using the "Current Limiting Resistor Calculator for Leds"

what is the ammount of current that 0603 smd leds use when powered up, i have a multi meter, how can i find out? Edit: dont worry i got it!  :hifive:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:22:46 AM by Luigus »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal