Author Topic: Impossible Mod?  (Read 20857 times)

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
Re: Impossible Mod?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 11:23:46 PM »
"locate which pins on the screen are what" lol... won't work.

As if it's just so simple! ROFLZMAO!

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15:31 AM »
As if it's just so simple! ROFLZMAO!

Wouldn't it be nice if it were though? XDD I wish it were, it'd take some of the guess work out of it sure. But it would take the prestige for figuring it out away too... =/. But if anybody makes it, like that. I will buy it. If it uses UMDs and has multiple memory card readers.

-TwisT

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if it were though? XDD I wish it were, it'd take some of the guess work out of it sure. But it would take the prestige for figuring it out away too... =/. But if anybody makes it, like that. I will buy it. If it uses UMDs and has multiple memory card readers.

-TwisT
TwisT theres no way in hell those would EVER fit lol... i'm thinking if this is done it will be an internal memory card

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
Seems like you might be able to fit a Go board, but still, the 4:3 LCD without a backlight would still prove quite a hurdle.

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
but arent the button thing on the mobo? it would have to be close to the same shape as a go for it to work.

Toad: Sam, You sound like your stoned out of your mind lol
Me: :D

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »
but arent the button thing on the mobo? it would have to be close to the same shape as a go for it to work.
not at all... there are tact switches for the buttons... if anything this would be easier. You wouldn't have to wire to the ZIF, you could just wire to each tact switch... It doesn't have to be the same shape at all.

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »
TwisT theres no way in hell those would EVER fit lol... i'm thinking if this is done it will be an internal memory card

o.O why wouldn't it fit? UMDs where the cartridge goes, and one of the CR card readers used for the internal memory stick pro duos (I can't recall the name at this time) gutted and the slots cut out on the side of the case.

If the restrictions of the motherboard and the conversion of the screen were over come, then the UMD and memory sticks really shouldn't make or break the project... XD

-TwisT

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
First - it's not a GBC, it's Game Boy Pocket. So we all know the intended dimensions. As well, there's not just no backlight - there's no color! You can see that the screen is GB Green Scheme.

The thing is, you can't fit a 1000/2000/3000 PSP into the GB Pocket shell to start with - even if you gutted the UMD drive, the mobo is too big.

That's why I said use a Go - as that would actually fit, but then you're dealing with a system that doesn't have a UMD.

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »
First - it's not a GBC, it's Game Boy Pocket. So we all know the intended dimensions. As well, there's not just no backlight - there's no color! You can see that the screen is GB Green Scheme.

The thing is, you can't fit a 1000/2000/3000 PSP into the GB Pocket shell to start with - even if you gutted the UMD drive, the mobo is too big.

That's why I said use a Go - as that would actually fit, but then you're dealing with a system that doesn't have a UMD.

The 'matter of fact' attitude isn't needed.

It would have been more realistic to do this concept with an image of the brick game boy anyway. Obviously, most of what I said was day dreaming. Just to let you know. The slim sleek pocket is nice in the black though.

K? Thanks.

-TwisTtheTwiTcH

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 11:59:52 PM »
I'm daydreaming on this too, I'm not by any means trying to be a jerk. It's a really cool concept art, and it gets me thinking!
After I reread the thread a couple times I just realized it wasn't a GBC like phantomz0 made it out to be, which makes bringing the literal concept art to life even harder!
I mentioned this in chatbox the other day - if someone was able to recreate the PSP mobo without pcb, you could drop it into any shell you wanted. Of course, the LCD would remain to be a major pain.

But yeah, the black pocket was by far the best looking one of the bunch.

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »
The 'matter of fact' attitude isn't needed.

It would have been more realistic to do this concept with an image of the brick game boy anyway. Obviously, most of what I said was day dreaming. Just to let you know. The slim sleek pocket is nice in the black though.

K? Thanks.

-TwisTtheTwiTcH
No need to get so bottom hurt TwisT!!! We're all friends here... right?

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »
doable but very difficult, slightly you would probably need to have access to things like cnc, injection moulding and vacuum forming equiptment, but i believe the one in the above picture is fake because the screen is the wrong size. i really like the concept though cos i hate the way psps are normally

Thats the easy part, the rest is firmware hacking to run a custom screen, and redesigning the circuit board. Else this could be a piece of cake.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »
just use the original PSP screen, like an original gameboy, but WIDESCREEN!

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 04:13:56 PM »
just use the original PSP screen, like an original gameboy, but WIDESCREEN!
This would be doable, but the thing would look fugly lol..

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2011, 12:39:27 AM »
Same idea, but easier to be done - Use a Sega Game Gear.

Imagine the extra mods you could stuff into it. x3

-TwisT

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2011, 01:51:01 AM »
Everyone's seen the LCD in the lid of the PSX mod - what about a PSP in a PSX, flip top LCD in the CD lid, UMD drive in the GameShark port, with a PS2 controller geared up and rewired for dual nub?

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2011, 08:07:37 AM »
I was wondering if this mod was at all possible, and if so how would one go about doing it.
what happened to "this" ^

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
well i have been wanting to attempt this mod since the 1st day i saw it.... if yal are willing to donate parts i am willing to give it my best shot... atm i dont have mobos or nubs... i think i have everything else.. also i have no gameboy  so...... ya

who ever wants in on this... if yal are serious... contact me via facebook preferably.... but ya i mean ill get a work log started as soon as i know if yal are serious about this
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:52:20 AM by chef boyardee »

lol look at this crap u can get like 5 bucks a day for doing  poop http://adf.ly/2Knsr

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
wow... This topic went from a valid question to R&D so fast it suprised me. I did say before that we should start a new topic in the R&D section but nooo! Nobody listened! And now we've gone and pretty much comandered this guys post.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »
lol technically its not r&d til i make start the work log lol

lol look at this crap u can get like 5 bucks a day for doing  poop http://adf.ly/2Knsr

Offline djsv103

• AcidModder-In-Training
  • Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Handheld User
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 07:07:59 AM »
Well now that it seems that this mod is either the hardest mod or an imposable mod for my psp, i have dropped this project. I have the second psp, dissembled it, and in all honesty the biggest problem(it seems to me) is the screen. I have and gameboy color complete, screen mobo, speaker. I thought that it would be a fun little project but now it seems more trouble than its worth.

This i did find out the psp battery is the same size as the gameboy color battery slot. Psp mobo, is about the same size and the gameboy color, turned sideways. Buttons would be abit of an issue along with the triggers. And I think a UMD would fit inside of the game pack slot(but UMD tray is too big for this project to work with everything else jam packed in there).

Sorry for the let down guys. Maybe next time ill come up with something logical. Like putting a ps3 controlor inside of a psp shell. lol. My little brother came up with the idea after seeing a psp with dual analog sticks.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:16:47 AM by djsv103 »

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »
well like i said if yal are willing to donate parts ill give this a go and i already have a ton of psp parts all i need is a screen and matching mobo and the game boy... aside from tht i have all the stuff needed for this mod

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
well like i said if yal are willing to donate parts ill give this a go and i already have a ton of psp parts all i need is a screen and matching mobo and the game boy... aside from tht i have all the stuff needed for this mod

you don't have the knowledge ;) i don't think any one on this site does.

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
how do you know what i have knowledge of? i honestly wanna give this a go lol but u know what, to prove you wrong neo ima get the parts on my own no donations and start the worklog when a get a mobo and gameboy

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2011, 07:04:43 PM »
how do you know what i have knowledge of? i honestly wanna give this a go lol but u know what, to prove you wrong neo ima get the parts on my own no donations and start the worklog when a get a mobo and gameboy
meh go ahead... i bet 10 dollars you fail.

there's no way possible to make this out without having some extreme knowledge.

Here is a worklog of a guy that turned two tablets screens into a giant ds:

http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/

And as you can see it is a :censored:load of work.  Not only that, but this guy obviously has a degree of some sort, that is not common knowledge...

And my third point. It's not internalized at all. Look how freaking big that module is, outside of the ds. He had to use that to get the screens to accept the signal from the DS... and even though the PSP is smaller scale, there is no way you are going to be able to internalize anything that lets you use a screen that will fit on a gameboy...

So my point it, you won't be able to do this mod.  And if you do, it will look absolutely nothing like a gameboy. At all. If you use a widescreen, it will not look like a gameboy... so why even try?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:05:15 PM by nEoVaLoR »

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2011, 07:58:20 PM »
lol this is gonna turn out to be a repeat of when i first joined this site... the guys said i could get a webcam to work w/ the psp because i didn't know how to code and that there wasn't a 5v source on the psp mobo... i knew otherwise and although i didn't know coding my friend that helps me w/ coding does and has been to college for it.  o and i got the web cam to work w/ the psp lol

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
lol this is gonna turn out to be a repeat of when i first joined this site... the guys said i could get a webcam to work w/ the psp because i didn't know how to code and that there wasn't a 5v source on the psp mobo... i knew otherwise and although i didn't know coding my friend that helps me w/ coding does and has been to college for it.  o and i got the web cam to work w/ the psp lol
pics or it didn't happen....

and i'm done with my argument lol, i just proved to you that it wouldn't work..

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
u didnt prove it wouldnt work u just proved its gonna be a challenge andill get some pics in a couple weeks when i go to my dads... all my modding stuff is there

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »
Ladies! Ladies! No More Fighting!

jk

But seriously guys stop arguing.

Neo - He's gunna try regardless of what you say.

Chef - Good luck on the mod, hope it works cuz if not neo's gunna end up rubbing it in.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »
Ladies! Ladies! No More Fighting!

jk

But seriously guys stop arguing.

Neo - He's gunna try regardless of what you say.

Chef - Good luck on the mod, hope it works cuz if not neo's gunna end up rubbing it in.
LOL my and chef boyardee are good friends, no fighting just a friendly argument ;)

and of course I am.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal