Author Topic: Idea for a mod: would this work?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline LieutenantPie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Semi-inexperienced, slightly ambitious modder
Idea for a mod: would this work?
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
As a gift for my almost-girlfriend (it's complicated), I'm thinking of making her a DS mod. My main goal is to make an N64 themed DS. And for the record, it's mostly a case mod. Not trying to change too much, with the exception of the buttons. So I have a few questions:

1. Would it be easy to replace the buttons with those of the N64? I thought all you needed to do was mod the case so it fits... Also, if I were to replace the d-pad with the N64's analog stick, would it work?

2. What color should I make it? Grey, or black? I don't really know which is more representative of the console: the familiar shade of grey used with most of the controllers, or the black color of the console itself?

3. I'm wanting to make most of it use the actual N64 controller as a base. What tools do you suggest I use for replacing the bottom half of the console? I'm probably going to just add random bits of the console on the DS (like the N64 logo instead of the DS logo, different power button, possibly in different location, the indented Nintendo logo somewhere above the top screen, ect.).

4. What buttons should I use!? The N64 has far more buttons than the DS, and I'm not quite sure what to do with them all. I was almost thinking of using the Z button as the select button, the analog stick and/or d-pad would be an obvious choice along with the L/R buttons, but what about the actual buttons? Should I remove A and B altogether, or use them for something else?

5. Would it be possible to let the DS use both the analog stick AND the d-pad? It seems pretty ambitious, which is why I'll only try it if it's possible and/or has been done before.

6. Would it be a good idea to also include the Japanese version of Super Mario 64 DS? I know the DS isn't region locked, so I think it would be a good idea. It seems only fitting.

Thanks in advance for some answers! I'm hoping to have this mod done by Christmas.

Offline Sammy

• BST BAN
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +15/-1
Re: Idea for a mod: would this work?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
This seems like its going to be very complicated to do,also make sure she likes nintendo64 before you start this lol, also will it even close if you put a 64 analog stick instead of a d-pad?Im not very experienced at ds but This is going to be VERY VERY difficult to do.   

Toad: Sam, You sound like your stoned out of your mind lol
Me: :D

Offline [HoP]

• Ex-AcidMag
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +9/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »
the things that you list would not be easy to do as a first mod.

I rarely say that something isn't possible. With the right tools, skill, and amount of time.. nearly anything is possible (money is a factor also, however you could get it with just money as well)

Based on your other post about swapping DS Lite screens with DSi-XL Screens, I am willing to bet that this would be either a first for you, or one of your first.

May I suggest a simple paint job, or a nice case swap...

I would recommend something simple. Especially if she is an "almost girlfriend"

However you don't want to give her expensive things right away, it would look to her as if you are trying to buy her love.

There are many other options that I think would be very nice and heart felt. Something I did for my Fiance for her birthday is I photo-shopped her picture to look like the cover of one of her favorite bands album covers... I then went and printed it up LARGE and framed it.

Another thing that I did was i made a light up shadow box picture frame that tells a story... it had pictures from a hike that we took in Yosemite.

This is my recommendation to you:  Keep it simple and thoughtful.

Offline MrPete1985

• Registered BST
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »
for the color scheme I would go with black on the bottom and gray top this way it would kind of look like an N64 with a game in it while playing and I would replace the ABXY buttons with the C buttons from the N64 controller

Offline LieutenantPie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »
@MrPete1985
I asked her, she said she wanted it black. But she's still really opposed to getting it (she says the only thing she wants is two N64 games. She won't accept anything else because she doesn't want me to spend any money, but I also don't want to feel like a douche for not making anything. She usually makes me stuff, and I hate it when I end up buying stuff).

And the C buttons might be a good idea, but then what do I do with the A and B buttons?

@[HoP]
From my understanding, this is just a case mod. Is that true?

Also, I wanted to make her something. As I mentioned above, she wanted two N64 games. I'd feel terrible if I didn't make her something, because she always draws pictures and makes things for me. I was kinda worried about having this come off as trying to impress her, but considering the fact that the last thing I got her was an origami heart with something or another written in kanji on the front, I'm trying to do something I might actually be good at. I also offered making an adapter to let her plug an N64 controller into the Wii so I could get her an SD card with all the N64 games she can handle, but she thinks that N64 games and controllers should only be used on the N64 itself. :| She's hard to please sometimes.

Anyways, I'm thinking of really making this thing a lot simpler. As in removing the analog stick completely. Sammy brought to my attention the fact that the DS probably won't close if it used the analog stick. Perhaps I could work around this problem by modding the case a little more or simply placing the analog stick much lower, more like it's original position... Then again, it might be smart to stick with the d-pad on the controller. What do you suggest I do?

Offline MrPete1985

• Registered BST
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
If she likes N64 the most maybe see if she would like something like this but with an N64 controller
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,39711.0.html

Offline LieutenantPie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:54 PM »
Well, maybe. The N64 controller has a lot of empty space in it for this kind of thing. However, she happens to be what some may call a purist. As in she hates the VC. She thinks that an N64 controller being used on anything but an N64 is "just plain wrong".

That woman is hard to please... She would rather I buy her some N64 games than make a one of a kind mod for her. I'll probably just do the mod anyways. The main reason she won't accept these kinds of gifts (or compliments, for that matter) is because she's really timid and nervous. She hasn't really warmed up to me as much yet. Basically, she doesn't do that good of a job of hiding the fact that she loves me (she told me herself), but she isn't ready for anything serious just yet. I totally understand that, so I'm trying to get a lot closer to her before I try anything remotely close to romantic. Basically, it's really complicated.

Also, I found a mod someone did that looks pretty close to what I'm planning on doing, except I was going to throw in sound reactive rumble, more stuff, and maybe even an Acekard 2i (just like the one I have) with Mario 64 DS preloaded onto it.

http://youtu.be/dJ6YEmr2uqs

I was thinking of using a DS Lite instead of a DS, but maybe the DS would be a better idea (more N64 looking, power button is an actual button). I'm sure there are some improvements I could make to this...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal