Author Topic: member groups/permission sets  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
member groups/permission sets
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »
this weekend I will be overhauling the permission set for acidmods, most members will probably not even notice. some may notice new boards or missing boards. guests may see alot of missing information. one of the biggest things is that you will have to sign in to use any links that are posted in threads. There will be other items that come up as I am going through things.

consider this open enrollment for any groups you may want to be a part of. please let me know.

please let me know if someone sees anything completely out of the ordinary.

I am always open to suggestions if you have them. my goal is to make acidmods more of a community based site

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: member groups/permission sets
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »
Matt,

Since you asked for suggestions.  I personally don't like it when sites require registration to click on links. Just my opinion.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Yea, I know... its largely open for debate, the end goal is to bring in more members...active members, not ones who just sign up for the link and leave, but if they sign up for the link, they may be more inclined to be active and stick around..........

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:38:46 AM »
You know your going to get that too, being we here at  ACIDMODS, have an open resource for  Rapid fire codes, and the chance we take with that  is people sign on take what they need and  leave, the site and try to  sell them on e-bay or whatever site they can sell them on. 

dont know how you would stop that .

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline toadzilla

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +132/-0
  • something something Tech support
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
i would love to still be able to still stay on b and m  if thats being changed if not then uhhh club am?

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:04:22 PM »
i agree on people to signup and login to view the most of the site cos i hate it on other sites that people just take free viewing for granted my two cents.
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
I will take all of you guys opinions seriously into consideration. please feel free to let me know what you think or want.

Offline snowcolt17

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »
why not this.. to view links. or rf. like rodent said. you gotta have a certain ammount of post. show a tutorial on the rf. and lock the codes. you gotta unlock them with your rank?.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 12:51:57 PM »
well then you might get alot of spam post, Honestly the people I see every day have been here a while. but there are still alot of guest and I was checking out members list and alot of members havent signed on in a  while. So i am  sure together we can think of  something to come up with Reguest apply for rapid fires or something of  somekind, just like clubam and BST has

Just a thought.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
Sorry snowcolt, but I like that idea even less than requiring registration.  It is even more extreme.  The problem is, the whole point of posting tutorials and whatnot is to draw new people to the site, and like matt said, if they register to click a link then maybe they will stay.  If we have a minimum post count, we are gonna get a lot of junk posts from people just trying to meet the minimum, or they just won't bother and won't even check out the site.  At least if they are able to download the code, they try it out and like it, then they realize what AM is all about and that they can learn more or contribute in some way.

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »
why not this.. to view links. or rf. like rodent said. you gotta have a certain ammount of post. show a tutorial on the rf. and lock the codes. you gotta unlock them with your rank?.

I like this idea! But i think it should be applied to the Club AM Shoutbox instead. If you have over 100 posts then you automatically are eligable to view and chat in the AM Shoutbox.

It would save you alot of future moderation matt.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:56:36 PM by CreativeMindMedias »

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline snowcolt17

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
well then you might get alot of spam post, Honestly the people I see every day have been here a while. but there are still alot of guest and I was checking out members list and alot of members havent signed on in a  while. So i am  sure together we can think of  something to come up with Reguest apply for rapid fires or something of  somekind, just like clubam and BST has

Just a thought.

good idea

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »
I like this idea! But i think it should be applied to the Club AM Shoutbox instead. If you have over 100 posts then you automatically are eligable to view and chat in the AM Shoutbox.

It would save you alot of future moderation matt.

I like it, but I think it should be less than 100 posts.  I have been fairly active on AM for the last month or two and I am still only up to about 60 posts.

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »
I like it, but I think it should be less than 100 posts.  I have been fairly active on AM for the last month or two and I am still only up to about 60 posts.

Yeah but most people wouldnt even know about Club AM if it were not for others saying to join it. But i guess 100 IS a bit high.... Maybe 80 posts?
Most active members reach 100 posts in about three months of being here. And why do you worry magic? youre already a member and would be grandfathered in.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:05:26 PM by CreativeMindMedias »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
WOW i was going to say  500 post...lol but I think being you have to become a regiester like Club AM or Regular BST would work best then, the admin can approve you if your making progress at ACIDMODS.

Yeah but most people wouldnt even know about Club AM if it were not for others saying to join it. But i guess 100 IS a bit high.... Maybe 80 posts?
Most active members reach 100 posts in about three months of being here. And why do you worry magic? youre already a member and would be grandfathered in.
were talking about new members who come and go!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:07:21 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
WOW i was going to say  500 post...lol but I think being you have to become a regiester like Club AM or Regular BST would work best then, the admin can approve you if your making progress at ACIDMODS.

Well i was going to say 200 posts but..... SOMEONE would have complained! lmao!

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »

Well, the more I think about it, I don't know if it would work for club AM.  The restriction is to absolve the site of responsibility if anyone is offended.  Before you are approved by admin, you have to agree to the terms.  If you are automatically added, you wouldn't have agreed to those terms. And why 200 or more posts? That is a lot.  I am just saying, why would someone need to have been here that long in order to get into club? Honestly, even 25 posts would be sufficient in my opinion.  By that point, it shows that someone isn't just a leecher trying to get the codes, and they are actually involved in the site.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
I was saying if you had to register for certain things like RF  codes, then do it like they do club am and regular bst ,and not many people know about it till then been here a while which would make them work for it, and give them a goal if they were interested in the site enough they would follow along .

Like I
Just a thought

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 01:23:20 PM »
post count based restrictions would lead to spam. ok so thats enough input on that.

what would you like to see at am that you see other forums we can integrate here?

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 01:26:36 PM »
what about an intergrated vioce chat?

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
Matt,

A private chat feature would be nice.  Make PMs more like chat and less like email.  If you are offline PM would be waiting for you when you sign on, just like a regular message.  This would make it a lot easier to have a private conversation without having 30 PMs to clean out of your inbox.  Don't know if it is feasible, just something that would be nice.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 01:29:47 PM »
Matt,

A private chat feature would be nice.  Make PMs more like chat and less like email.  If you are offline PM would be waiting for you when you sign on, just like a regular message.  This would make it a lot easier to have a private conversation without having 30 PMs to clean out of your inbox.  Don't know if it is feasible, just something that would be nice.

would be a good idea, if possible matt :)

Rodent consoles mods

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
post count based restrictions would lead to spam. ok so that's enough input on that.

this mite get mods to work

post count yes 50 post min this will get people posting yes alot of thx ect not real post but that's what staff are for.
if we look at most modding sites they have these post counts to get to better places and restricted on 60-80sec before posting again leaving time for staff to keep an eye out for spammers.

plus we got people already just posting away for post count so it would not put most members off unless there just taking the stuff to sell due to very low post counts.

topic:i would like a gallery part of the site were we can put pictures instead of people just posting the pictures on here and i mean just little things and leave the picture stuff on the forum for main stuff.
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
Matt,

we do offer conversation view - https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=pmprefs

also i want to be in every group lol

i think registering to see links is a good idea and maybe have it 10 posts to see codes and 15 for arcade privilages 20 for shoutbox privilages 25 for custom signature etc

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »
But does the conversation view automatically show you the next message, or do you have to refresh?  Also, I think it would work better if it were more like the shoutbox, without signatures and everything.  Trying to carry on a conversation would get cumbersome when having to read past signatures and everything.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
the gallery system is installed on the test site.

I also installed "ultimate profile" on the test site which allows you to use html to customize your profile.

feel free to check them out.... you have to re-register on the test site, if you do so, please use your same name, so I know to approve you or not (spam bots)

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
Ok matt will do thanks  :hifive:

Rodent consoles mods

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »
I don't know how much it will get used but I thought that it might be useful if there was a "beta testers" group with its own hidden board, which when an RnD project needs some closed beta testing we can temporarily add a small group of trusted people with the skills to reliably perform a mod and provide quality feedback, then once the project is finished the board is emptied and all members are removed from the group.

Also I like the idea of links being closed until you register, but I think anything more than this (post counts etc.) will be counter-productive.

Finally I dislike the idea of having to have a certain post count in order to show members are active part of the community, like magic said, I'm sure most people would agree he is an active part of this community but doesn't have many posts yet.

P.S A private chat function (like fb chat maybe?) would be freaking EPIC.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »
I don't know how much it will get used but I thought that it might be useful if there was a "beta testers" group with its own hidden board, which when an RnD project needs some closed beta testing we can temporarily add a small group of trusted people with the skills to reliably perform a mod and provide quality feedback, then once the project is finished the board is emptied and all members are removed from the group.

Like me? ....lol

Rodent consoles mods

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk