Author Topic: PICkit 2 Starter Kit  (Read 2577 times)

Offline manwinder

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
PICkit 2 Starter Kit
« on: October 12, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »
should i buy it, i am starting to learn how to program in c for the pic. i know how to program, i have done it in Turing and vb.net

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
Re: PICkit 2 Starter Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:16:39 AM »
I would definitely recommend it :)

Offline manwinder

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
thanks, cant wait to make my first program, i will upload some stuff on acid mods, you guys have helped a lot

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »
I agree, the Pickit2 is great! I too debated getting one before I bought it.  I had a few intermittent problems with the JDM programmers, so I decided to get it.  I would recommend getting the original PicKit2, not a clone, if you plan on doing anything with RS232.  The Pickit2 has a built in TTL level RS232 interface for testing, and it has been so useful for me.  The other nice thing is if you get the kit that comes with the low pin count board, it comes with a 16f690 chip to start programming on, and there are LEDs on the board that you can light up for testing.

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
I agree, the Pickit2 is great! I too debated getting one before I bought it.  I had a few intermittent problems with the JDM programmers, so I decided to get it.  I would recommend getting the original PicKit2, not a clone, if you plan on doing anything with RS232.  The Pickit2 has a built in TTL level RS232 interface for testing, and it has been so useful for me.  The other nice thing is if you get the kit that comes with the low pin count board, it comes with a 16f690 chip to start programming on, and there are LEDs on the board that you can light up for testing.

HOW DO I USE THAT?!?!? I wanna see if I can take advantage of that and use it for the xbox 360 serial console. (the serial console is on every phat motherboard (unsure about slim)) I have built my own ttl converter n stuff but its not working right lol.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
HOW DO I USE THAT?!?!? I wanna see if I can take advantage of that and use it for the xbox 360 serial console. (the serial console is on every phat motherboard (unsure about slim)) I have built my own ttl converter n stuff but its not working right lol.

I found that function to be very poor, but you can find it under Tools>Uart Tool... in the stand alone PK2 application.

I find these cables to be far more useful http://jethomson.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/diy-usb-to-serial-cable-for-3usd/

Offline magic_man185

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +16/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
Hyper,

I have used it pretty extensively while testing my code, and I think it works great.  One thing to note is that you must have the PitKit2 providing power (or your destination circuit) in order for it to work.  I have the PicKit2 provide power, and it has worked great for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal