Author Topic: Can i update my jtag?  (Read 17410 times)

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Can i update my jtag?
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
So i'm a little confused.

I saw the 15572 Update thread thing and am not sure if i can update my jtag to the newest firmware without messing it up.

it currently has Freeboot 13599 on it and the only reason I'm really considering updating the dash is because i cant get Borderlands 2 or sleeping dogs to work after it is ripped to my external HD. I am assuming it is because i dont have some feature that is required to play it that is included in the M$ dashboard.

So can i just DL the newest M$ dashboard update and run it off a usb thumb drive and have it all work right or is that 15572 update thing gonna screw over my jtag?

Also my other xbox that is not jtaged, I installed the newer dashboard on there and i cant stream movies to it anymore. if i update my jtag will i lose the ability to stream my movies to it with the M$ media streamer?

if so is there a Homebrew video player out there that supports network streaming from my desktop? cause thats where i got all my movies and tv shows.

I just don't wanna screw my stuff up.

Thanks.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Can i update my jtag?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:40:00 AM »
who did the jtag? apparently not you...

No, do not update with the MS updater. you need your cpu key and your nand image to create a new dashboard. using a jtag tool.

I am unsure of what streamer your speaking of?

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:01:10 AM »
You can update with the official update on USB, no need to reflash the nand. I have done this on mine and had no issues.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:33 AM »
You can update with the official update on USB, no need to reflash the nand. I have done this on mine and had no issues.

can anyone else please confirm this? I would and have never used an official update.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:57:58 AM by snowcolt17 »

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »
I purchased it pre-jtaged online from some guy named luke off ioffer. I think he lived near Portland OR.

So what circumstances would i need to use the cpu key and your nand image for? I know someone that could prolly help me do it that way if it's better. but honestly im not really into flashing my own stuff cause I'm afraid ill mess it up. So as someone who isn't really interested in doing all that jazz all the time is it something i should still look into or would i be ok doing it as phantomz0 said?

I'm just interested in playing games man.

I was just referring to the default video player that comes standard with the xbox. i use it to stream video off my pc.

but as i said my non modded xbox wont play video files through it anymore since i updated it. it either gives me the unplayable content or just sits there on a black screen now. I assume they want me to be online or something to make sure its not pirated content cause i read somewhere that the ps3 started doing that i think.

most of the homebrew media players i have looked at were buggy and did not support streaming from my pc to the xbox. if none have media streaming available can you recommend one that is the most stable? most of my videos are on an external HD but i was hoping to keep it on my desktop cause other ppl in then house stream from it to other devices as well.

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »
can anyone else please confirm this? I would and have never used an official update.

I WOULD NEVER USE A M$ OFFICIAL ON A MODDED 360

when you bought it did the guy give you all the stuff. cpu key, config, kv, and nand?

if you do i can help you.

hit modify instead of quote haha sorry matt

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »
grab your cpu key from xell by starting the console with the eject button
grab a copy of ur nand by putting a program called flash360 and make a dump of it itll dump it to ur usb flash drive under updflash.bin rename to whatever
fire up jrunner software insert all the correct info and settings then reflash the nand using the same flash360 tool
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
When i got it it was just the xbox, no cords no HD no files or info.

took me awhile since when i got it i didnt have internet but i got it all up and running smoothly.

Freestyle dash and dashlaunch on there as well as some program to unlock DLC and arcade games (cant remember the name atm)

I also grabbed the CPU and CD keys by hitting the eject button to boot.

Anywho i just grabbed flash360 from xbins and have grabbed these two files from some j-runner site

Download J-Runner v02 Beta (280) Core Pack: http://bit.ly/K8z3OP
Download 15574 Files: http://bit.ly/MwsdIR

I'm prolly not gonna try to do this till like the 8th cause my xbox has been over heating and shutting itself off lately so ima take it to get repaired when i get my paycheck on the 7th but i wanna be as prepared as i can be before then.

thanks allot for helping me out guys.

Edit: i had this thread https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,41823.0.html about not having a boot logo could i fix that at the same time? that thread ended up having to do more with my boot time towards the end. Also is there anything else i should try and update while i am doing this? I just want to be set for awhile and not have to worry about it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:03:15 PM by Soularis »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »
so, I am not crazy, it appears the consensus is no, do not use an official MS update, it must be updated through a hacked dashboard.

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
consensus is you shouldn't, but i have once before loaded an update onto my thumb drive and then updated that way, and i woulda done it again had i not seen that post about there being some sorta issue.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »
The problem is with the Efuses. If your jtag was protected, you wont have an issue, if they were not and you update, you can loose all jtagability.

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
NEVER UPDATE ANY JTAG WITH OFFICIAL M$ CRAP
ALWAYS USE J RUNNER ETC TO CREATE A CUSTOM FREEBOOT IMG
all u need is ur nand dump and cpu key and the right software like j runner to create ur custom freeboot img
u dont need anything else
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
You will have to create a new freeboot img. The only reason behind using an official xbox update via usb is to get avatar support. But now i think j runner has avatar support built in to the freeboot tool

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »
ah that's right i couldn't remember why i had done an update like that before but avatar support was why i did it.

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
try the flash360 and try to dump the nand to usb.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
Here is one for you.

I did my own jtag, as I have done many, but with mine, it was my first one and I did not make a readme file like I have done all others I sent out. I know I remember mine having a bad block issue, but I did not make a note of which bad blocks they were. I have the original nand, KV and config but I dont remember what block needs to be relocated. How do i know what block to move?

anyone got an updated version of degraded or total commander?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:42:05 PM by Modded Matt »

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
You will have to create a new freeboot img. The only reason behind using an official xbox update via usb is to get avatar support. But now i think j runner has avatar support built in to the freeboot tool
ahh that must hav been what I was doing, my bad. The new nand will probably fix your no boot logo issue aswell

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »
To update the newest 15574 Dashboard you will need your Orignal Nands and cpu key, and you will have to Reflash it using j-runner build the new Free boot image.  If you can't do it i will do it I charge $25 to $30 to reflash + return shipping cost, must have  orignal nands and console must be in proper working order... I get so many people who want to send me there broken consoles  and tell me it was working when they sent it...   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:15:59 PM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 12:44:48 AM »
I dont have the original nand, hence the flash360 to try and dump my current one. Is that gonna be an issue? Also i doubt i would send it out to be done, i just dont have the extra cash. I'm already taking it in to get fixed dont have an extra 60 bucks for shipping and updates. Ima end up trying it myself or asking the guy who works on my xbox if he has done such a thing before. I just want to be prepared.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 02:03:41 AM »
I dont have the original nand, hence the flash360 to try and dump my current one. Is that gonna be an issue? Also i doubt i would send it out to be done, i just dont have the extra cash. I'm already taking it in to get fixed dont have an extra 60 bucks for shipping and updates. Ima end up trying it myself or asking the guy who works on my xbox if he has done such a thing before. I just want to be prepared.

Pretty much you have a issue, due to you dont have the original nand.. you need the nand to create the New Freeboot image. so best thing is to leave it alone and enjoy the console as a modded console.... so save your money and just enjoy the console :)  thats the best advice i have for you.. and if in the US I dont think shipping is that much . like $12 dollars to ship any where in the us.

I am not positive if you can Flash the newest dashboard with Flash 360 , I usually do it by creating a new freeboot image.  if you had the orignal nand then you could create the new image and then flash it thru Flash 360 i know guys who have done that.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
well this sucks. I mean if i cant update it without the original nand it's gonna become obsolete for new games... anyone selling a fully updated jtag/rgh with the original nand for future issues? and how much? -_-

I emailed the guy i bought it from and he also claims you can dump the current nand and update with that. anyone besides rodent think that the current nand will not work?

Rodent~ have you tried updating with a dump of a current nand and what issues were caused from doing so? cause i really don't have the cash to get a new modded xbox, I'm tryen to get a working car with my paycheck too...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:41:08 AM by Soularis »

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
i thought flash360 dumped the nand also?

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »
Actually you do not need your original nand.  You can update using the current nand, which can be dumped using flash360 or through google chrome if you're running xell.  There are many many tutorials on how to do this and the program to update you should use is jrunner.

that's what the guy i got it from said to me in an email

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »
If you have your cpu key, all you need then is j runner. There is an option to build a freeboot image with just the cpu. It's in the user guide of the software once you download it.  I believe you can put it on usb and it'll update from there.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
well this sucks. I mean if i cant update it without the original nand it's gonna become obsolete for new games... anyone selling a fully updated jtag/rgh with the original nand for future issues? and how much? -_-

I emailed the guy i bought it from and he also claims you can dump the current nand and update with that. anyone besides rodent think that the current nand will not work?

Rodent~ have you tried updating with a dump of a current nand and what issues were caused from doing so? cause i really don't have the cash to get a new modded xbox, I'm tryen to get a working car with my paycheck too...

any other dash you could just do that just use Flash 360 with the new dashboard you need the orignal nand and j-runner to create the new freeboot img. I will check in to it some more and see if it is possible to do but I absolutely think  from what i seen and know . you need the orignal nand and cpu key to creat the newest image for 15574 and yes i have RGH"s and Jtags for sale ,  xenon, jtags, falcon jtags, Falcon rgh.s  and jasper rghs. might even have a slim rgh left over i got over 75 consoles instock and more coming as we speak.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
Here is one for you.

I did my own jtag, as I have done many, but with mine, it was my first one and I did not make a readme file like I have done all others I sent out. I know I remember mine having a bad block issue, but I did not make a note of which bad blocks they were. I have the original nand, KV and config but I dont remember what block needs to be relocated. How do i know what block to move?

anyone got an updated version of degraded or total commander?

Yes matt, you dont need to use total commander or degraded. Load your nands and cpu key into j runner and there is an option for it to fix the bad blocks. J runner is amazing!

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 02:14:23 PM »
Yes matt, you dont need to use total commander or degraded. Load your nands and cpu key into j runner and there is an option for it to fix the bad blocks. J runner is amazing!
I totally agree you can do it in half the time :D

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 01:05:26 AM »
Just so you guys know my repair guy was able to rebuild a nand in jrunner and update it, so it is possible. it also fixed my boot logo issue.

thank you all for your input and advice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal