Author Topic: FAQ thread  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
FAQ thread
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »
Welcome to the FAQ thread on Xbox 360 firmware mods. There is alot of information both on Acidmods and scattered across the web, we will atempt to compile as much information as we can to help new and experienced modders alike quickly find the information they need to get started. This will be a work in progress. Please post any questions you would like to see here. members can post questions and answers to be added to the list as needed, Or just post questions you would like others to answer.

Staff, when updating the list, please use a proper question and answer format in spoiler tags as displayed below. Please note the credits at the end of the question.

-What is a jtag?
 [spoiler] A "Jtag" when refering to the xbox is one which has been modified to run unsigned code and preform other operations that are beyond what microsoft designed/allows the Xbox 360 to do. All restrictions  microsoft has imposed on the hardware of the unit through its firmware can be removed and replaced with a firmware that does not contain these restrictions. -Modded Matt [/spoiler]

-What is a Reset Glitch Hack?
[spoiler]A Reset Glitch Hack (RGH) is simply a newer hack for dashes updated past the Jtagable compatible dash (7371 and below). The RGH requires a "glitch chip" "glitches" the cpu, and thinks it is original NAND, but it is a modified NAND that allows you to run unsigned code. The RGH also allows you to "Dual Boot" the modified NAND and the M$ NAND. -snowcolt17[/spoiler]

-What Xbox can be Jtaged?
[spoiler]Any Xbox with a kernal under 2.0.7371.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-What Xbox can be RGH?
[spoiler]Any Xbox kernal can be RGH. The only 2 board revisions that CANNOT be RGH are Xenons(first generation phats) and Coranas(the newest Slims).-snowcolt17[/spoiler]

-What are the differences between RGH and Jtag?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

-What is Cool Runner?
 [spoiler]Its a device to preform the RGH which allows you to boot unsigned code.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-What kind of HDD can I use with Jtag/RGH?
 [spoiler]Any 2.5" or 3.5"(with some mods) can be used with a Jtag or RGH.-snowcolt17[/spoiler]

-What HDD can I use with Jtag?
[spoiler]Any type of HDD.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-How does the Dual Boot work?
[spoiler]It lets you choose what NAND to use which is a moddified NAND and a stock Xbox Live Nand basically the best of both worlds Homebrew/Xbox Live in the case of the Cygnos REV 2 E or any with dual NAND just a matter of switching the switch to on or off but as of now these are getting harder to get.
Team Xecuter is releasing a product called "Demon" which is a new dual NAND solution.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-What is a Jtag console?
[spoiler]Its a exploitable xbox 360 console[/spoiler]

-How do I know if I have an exploitable console?
[spoiler]YOU MUST AND I REPEAT MUST have a Xbox 360 console with a dashboard under 2.0.7371.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Ok... How do I know what dashboard I have?
[spoiler]Go into settings/console information and all the information there is needed.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Yes I have a exploitable console what do I need to to actually Jtag a console?
[spoiler]Well some tools required to is good soldering skills duhh, a nand reader(I suggest a NAND X due to great quality
and fast read/write times), 30awg wire(not really
required but recommended), and some 1N4148 diodes.-edokassiah [/spoiler]

-Okay I have all the tools required how do I install it?
[spoiler]Well with the growing homebrew community for the Xbox there was a tool created
that will help you out alot called JTAGTool by cool shrimp, trust me this program has everything,
will pretty much walk you through the whole process.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Great, now that I Jtagg'd my console what now?
[spoiler]Depending on what you wanna due skys the limit most popular things people do on Jtag's
are host modded lobbys on games/back up legally owned Xbo360 games/run snes,nes,sega,n64 emulators,
linux.
Also one major thing most people will take advantage of a Jtag it'll give you the ability
to recover dvd keys and cpu keys since there are pretty much the lifeline of the Xbox.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-What programs are out there for Jtags?
[spoiler]Once again depending on what you have in mind theres numerous things you can download
make sure to download autobins, its pretty much a server with stored homebrew files.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Great can I get on Xbox live?
[spoiler]Yes and no.... M$ will detect Jtaggs and will ban your account really theres no time frame when you will get banned but rest assure
you will get banned at one point or another just a matter of when.[/spoiler]

-o basically its an offline console ?
[spoiler]In a nutshell, yes.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Why does my Jtag get hot?
[spoiler]Jtags get hot due to working extra hard since it is highly moddified yes expect temp increases.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-My Jtag messed up what can i do to repair it?
[spoiler]If you do get to this point, no fear remember when you created the custom Xbox .bin?
well if things go crazy...trust me they will at times, grab a flash drive format to fat32 put the custom .bin on the root of your flash drive
and rename it to updflash.bin plug it into the Xbox turn on the console using the eject button.
If you flashed Xell, Xell with find it and ask you if you want to flash the file, accept it and follow the instructions and you should be good to go.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-I got ahold of another xbox 360 but its higher than 2.0.7371 can I Jtag it?
[spoiler]Yes Xbox hackers by the name of Gligli and Tiros released a hack called RGH.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

- RGH what the heck is that?
[spoiler]RGH is short for RESET GLITCH HACK.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-What does this Reset Glitch Hack do?
[spoiler]The Reset Glitch Hack will allow you to Jtag ANY console on any dashboard.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-How does it do that?
[spoiler]Well in a nutshell what it does is disturb the booting process and resets the cpu
mulitple times and does not stop until it boots unsigned code cool ehh?-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Is it the same as a Jtag, what's the difference?
[spoiler]Short answer yes it does the exact same thing as a jtag only exception is you cant get online.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Do I need the same tools etc?
[spoiler]Yes and no a NAND reader is still required but instead of diodes you will need a glitchboard.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Glitch board wth is that?
[spoiler]Glitch board are what make the cpu reset possible.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-What glitch board do i use?
[spoiler]lol theres tons of glitchboards out there its really your choice.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-wWhat glitch board do you recommend?
[spoiler]In no way am I getting paid to say lol  but from multiple trials and errors what I found
to work best is a product called COOLRUNNER from a company called Team Xecuter.
Why? Because it comes with almost everything needed including wires and tons of support.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

-Do I just install it ?
[spoiler]As in any glitchboard from any company you must program it yourself.-edokassiah[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:37:28 AM by snowcolt17 »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: FAQ thread
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
can anyone answer these:

what xbox can be jtaged?
what xbox can be rgh?
what are the differences between rgh and jtag?
what is cool runner?
what kind of hdd can I use with jtag?
what hdd can i use with jtag?
how does the dual boot work?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
u dont have to do it all, i hope some of the rest of the community will post some answers. then we can ad them to the list once we get a good list going, we will organize it as needed, like from beginner to advanced...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:52:18 PM by Modded Matt »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
Here are some better questions

What kind of Slim dvd drives?
what Slim dvd Drives are Interchangabe?
How to Flash a Slim DVD drive?
Can you swap the motherboards like you can on the PHat Dvd drives ?

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »
"what xboxs can be jtag"
all consoles with a dashboard lower than 2.0.7371.0 or lower for this to work
1.Xenon
2.zephyer
3.opus
4.falcon
5.jasper

Edit:What consoles can be rgh'd?
The consoles that can be rgh'd include falcon,jasper,trinity

edit

what is a coolrunner?

A "coolrunner" is a chip known as a "CPLD". its xecuters version of Xilinks coolrunner but maily focused for RGH. what it does is it send pulses with the help of timing files to the CPU to slow the boot proccess. thus making the xbox boot into a unsigned code.

[mod]Use modify tp edit , do not double post[/mod]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:43:17 PM by Rodent »

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
can anyone answer these:

what xbox can be jtaged? all xbox below 7371 dashboard can be jtagg'd
what xbox can be rgh? any with a hdmi port xenons and coronas boards(as of right now cant be rgh team xecuter will release a fix soon) that are found in console with the mfg of 8/14/2011 and up mre than likely have a corona board
what are the differences between rgh and jtag? nothing really just hardware methods to preform the hack
but jtags give you online cap but not for long and rgh does not and really dont be a dummy and get online with a jtag its pointless other than that nothing really
what is cool runner? its a device to preform the reset glitch hack which allows you to boot unsigned code
what kind of hdd can I use with jtag? any as long as its formatted to fat32
what hdd can i use with jtag?same as above any 2.5 inch 3.5inch etc will work
how does the dual boot work?
in a nutshell it lets you choose what nand to use which is a moddified nand and a stock xbox live nand basically the best of both worlds homebrew/xbox live in the case of the cygnos rev 2 E or any with dual nand just a matter of switching the switch to on or off but as of now these are getting harder to get
team xecuter demon is releasing a product called demon which is a new dual nand solution
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:49:27 PM by edokassiah »
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »
How do I edit or create .XEX patches for games?

Where do I start if I want to build my own .XEX from scratch without a devkit?

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
How do I edit or create .XEX patches for games?

Where do I start if I want to build my own .XEX from scratch without a devkit?

...um google? work for ms? besides that dunno :p

leave it to FOOKz for a difficult question

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
?'s to be answered
1.What programs can i put on my jtag?
2.What can i do with a jtag?
3.What can i do with a rgh?
4.What can i do with a dual nand rgh?
5.How do i paint my xbox ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:12:51 PM by snowcolt17 »

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »
hey guys got some extra time thought i would answer some freq asked questions
NOTE* for lack of a better way of putting it jtagging is not for beginners be sure to read read read

1: what is a jtag console?
answer: its a exploitable xbox 360 console
2: how do i know if i have an exploitable console?
answer:you must and i repeat must have a xbox 360 console with a dashboard under 2.0.7371
3: ok...how do i know what dashboard i have?
answer:go into settings/console information and all the information there is needed
4: yes i have a exploitable console what do i need to to actually jtag a console?
answer: well some tools required to is good soldering skills duhh a nand reader(i suggest a nand x due to great quality
and fast read/write times) 30awg wire(not really
required but recommended) and some 1N4148 diodes
5: okay i have all the tools required how do i install it?
answer: well with the growing homebrew community for the xbox there was a tool created
that will help you out alot called JTAGtool by cool shrimp trust me this programs has everything
will pretty much walk you thru the whole process
6: great now that i jtagg'd my console what now?
answer:depending on what you wanna due skys the limit most popular things people do on jtag's
are host modded lobbys on games/back up legally owned xbo360 games/run snes,nes,sega,n64 emulators
linux
also one major thing most people will take advantage of a jtag itll give you the ability
to recover dvd keys and cpu keys since there are pretty much the lifeline of the xbox
7: what programs are out there for jtags?
answer: once again depending on what you have in mind theres numerous things you can download
make sure to download autobins its pretty much a server with stored homebrew files
8: great can i get on xbox live?
answer: yes and no.... m$ will detect jtaggs and will ban your account really theres no time frame when you will get banned but rest assure
you will get banned at one point or another just a matter of when
9: so basically its an offline console ?
answer: in a nutshell yes
10:why does my jtag get hot?
answer: jtags get hot due to working extra hard since it is highly moddified yes expect temp increases
11:my jtag messed up what can i do to repair it?
answer:if you do get to this point no fear remember when you created the custom xbox .bin?
well if things go crazy...trust me they will at times
grab a flash drive format to fat32 put the custom .bin on the root of your flash drive
and rename it to updflash.bin plug it into the xbox turn on the console using the eject button
if you flashed xell xell with find it and ask you if you want to flash the file
accept it and follow the instructions and you should be good to go
12:i got ahold of another xbox 360 but its higher than 2.0.7371 can i jtag it?
answer: yes xbox hackers by the name of gligli and tiros released a hack called RGH?
13:rgh what the heck is that?
answer: rgh is short for RESET GLITCH HACK
what does this reset glitch hack do?
answer: the reset glitch hack will allow you to jtag any console on any dashboard
14how does it do that?
answer: well in a nutshell what it does is disturb the booting process and resets the cpu
mulitple times and does not stop until it boots unsigned code cool ehh?
15:is it the same as a jtag what the difference?
answer: short answer yes it does the exact same thing as a jtag only exception is you cant get online
16: do i need the same tools etc?
answer:yes and no a nand reader is still required but instead of diodes you will need a glitchboard
17:glitch board wth is that?
answer:glitch board are what make the cpu reset possible
18:what glitch board do i use?
lol theres tons of glitchboards out there its really your choice
19:what glitch board do you recommend?
answer: in no way am i getting paid to say lol :) but from multiple trials and errors what i found
to work best is a product called COOLRUNNER from a company called team xecuter
why? because it comes with almost everything needed including wires and tons of support
20:do i just install it ?
answer:as in any glitchboard from any company you must program it yourself
21:what do i need to program it?
answer:theres many ways to program it either lpt or usb and make sure you program it to your
specific board(falcon,jasper trinity)
i dont recommend trying to rgh a zypher due to horrible results(falcons are the best for rgh)
22:my console doesnt have hdmi can i still rgh?
answer: as of now if you have a non hdmi or even a corona board but a method will be released
soon
23:corona board what the heck is that?
answer:corona board is a new motherboard m$ came out with a totally different board design
24:how can i tell if i have a corona board?
answer: well an easy yet not 100% reliable way to check is check the date it was made itll
have a date on the back of the console 99% of the time if it was made before 08/2011 itll be a trinity board
which are exploitable
22:i just bought a new slim how else cani tell if i have a trinity board?
answer: another easy way is to stand up the console and remove the top grill and shine a flash light thru
the H ANA chip should be visible if not its more than likely a corona board google h ana chip
for a pic to see what your looking for
23:what can i do with a rgh console?
same as a jtag except go online
24:what hard drive can i use on a jtag/rgh
answer: any size any kind(2.5 to 3.5inch) jtag/rgh isnt limited like a stock xbox where the
hard drives range from 20,60,120,250,320gb

well theres some info if your new to the scene make sure to read and do some research
before attemtping any typs of mods etc things can go haywire really quick
when i have some time ill will add more information later
NOTE* sorry for any errors etc did this and rodent snow colt and any one else feel free to add or change things if needed
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:29:17 PM by edokassiah »
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:22:01 AM »
nice!!! if a mod could update the main thread, that would be cool.

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »
thanks alot edokassiah, Frosty, Anonamous, Modded Matt, and Rodent
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:38:47 AM by snowcolt17 »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »
Some more questions that we need to find answers too

what are the causes of a Red dot of death on a slim?
What Error codes for a slim?
How to solve these error codes?
dvd drive issues?
what is repairable ?, what isnt repairable?

all these things and more i been looking or been seaching for , not much info out there on this. If our members have any good info , it would help us alot.

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal