Author Topic: No-Slow Controllers  (Read 3943 times)

Offline paintlax21

• Registered BST
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
No-Slow Controllers
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
I understand what No-Slow controllers are but how is one achieved? I have seen all the videos of kids scraping down the side of the controller and other odd modifications, but what is professional/best way to a No-Slow controller. I have always been interested in learning how to make one and the whole facts behind it.

Thanks for your help,
Nick

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: No-Slow Controllers
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
what is a no-slow controller?

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
I think  no slow controller is an xbox controller that doesn't have an flaws are something. Some controllers dont work properly and will make the analog sticks not perfectly centered or something like that. Sounds like there is a game called controller doctor from indie games that will tell you if your controller is bad.

"I'm not a very tall person, however I show self-confidence of a bigger person"

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »
yea after reading up a bit, i see that now. If you have a bad controller, take it back to the store......

if its drifting or not responding from hours of play and abuse, replace it.

this all seems like bs to me, seems like a mod shop dumping product they cant use.

IDk

Offline paintlax21

• Registered BST
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
Always had a feeling it was just a bunch of BS. I don't see how anyone could make so there was no problems with it unless you took apart the thumbstick pieces themselves and then cleaned and lubricated them.

Offline Nevbox

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +12/-5
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
TBH the controller I use all the time has some drift and I don't really care. Just kids :censored:in cause they can.

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
TBH the controller I use all the time has some drift and I don't really care. Just kids :censored:in cause they can.

I have never had any issues at all with the main controller I use. Then again I occasionally open it, clean it out and stuff so, yea lol.

Offline Viking360

• Club AM VIP
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:05 AM »
Here's my take on "slow turn" or "no slow" or whatever the latest marketing gimmick term that shops are using:

As far as I have seen "real" users report (and not the companies selling slow-turn fixed controllers) the issue only affected Halo series of games.  I had some customers report the problem onf "CG1" style controllers.  I never had any customers report the problem on "CG2" style controllers.  I offered to customers to pay shipping both ways to get my hands on a slow-turn controller, but at the same time I made that offer, my company had switched to CG2 controllers, and we never had any more reports of problems.

The slow-turn fix involved taking sandpaper and making the hole around the joystick wider.  What really should have happened is the game developers of Halo should have fixed their calibration numbers, or, allowed users to run a calibration routine with their specific controller to solve the issue.

This "bug" in Halo as I would call it, spawned an entire industry of "no slow" fixers, selling controllers at $20, $50, sometimes even $100 markup for doing nothing more than using sandpaper to increase the size of the hole around the joysticks.  Some companies didn't even do anything to the controllers at all - they would just go through a pile of controllers, testing them using an "app" on XBOX Live, pick out the units that did not have the slow-turn problem, and then sell those -  selling the units that did have the slow-turn problem as "normal" controllers or selling them on e-bay to unsuspecting buyers.

There is an app on XBOX live still that will let you check the "range of motion" of your joysticks, but the app doesn't necessarily mean anything because each game developers can use their own calibration or range-of-motion for the joysticks to ensure no problems with "slow turn".  So if you run the app on XBOX live to check your range of motion, the results may be inconclusive.  I still see mod shops out there today guaranteeing against slow turn - which is great, except it's just not a problem.  What's actually more of a problem is the :censored:ty quality of MS joysticks lately, and the "drift" issue... I'll leave that for another post some day...

If I am wrong, somebody let me know, but I'm very much a "proof or it didn't happen" kind of guy, so I expect some current data or up-to-date youtube videos from somebody showing this problem in action on a new controller.  I sell thousands of controllers every year, if there were some slow-turn epidemic, I would be hearing about it from my customers, but I haven't had a complaint about slow-turn except a complaint about Halo 3 and it was waaaaay back in Fall of 2009 when CG1 controller technology was still circulating.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:11:04 AM by Viking360 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal