Author Topic: 2 Red Lights and 0013 Issue  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
2 Red Lights and 0013 Issue
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:39 AM »
Ok, so my brother decided to go find an xbox on ebay and fix it so he could have one for himself at a really cheap price and because he wanted to learn how to fix it. When it arrived we turned it on and saw that it had a simple 3RL and 0102 error. Easy fix. So, I helped him take it apart and all removed the thermal paste, applied some new paste and changed the cpu heatsink from the old one to the newer, bigger, square gray heatsink found on some falcons and on jaspers. The x-clamp fix was not applied. So after that we turned it on and it booted properly, but there were graphics glitches so I determined that the GPU needed to be reflowed. So I took out the fan duct and layed the fan over the cpu (I don't have the equipment for a proper reflow) About 5-10 minutes through it kicked itself off. I knew this shouldn't of happened but we let it cool down and set the fan shroud back in and all and turned it on. It booted without and graphical glitches and left it idling. About 10-15 minutes later, it killed itself and went to 2 red lights. We let it cool down for 20 minutes and when we went to turn it back on, it gave an instant 2 red lights. I checked for a secondary error code and it is 0013. I have been constantly trying to reflow the ram chips but it is not working. I tried using a hair dryer at first because I was told not to use a heatgun because it gets too hot. This didn't help much at all. So I went and used a heatgun on the low setting on the metal casing where the ram chips would be on the board (this is so I would not heat them too much and blow them over)

I took the sticky thermal pad things off of my jtag and put them onto this xbox because there were none on it originally and it seemed to make it last for another 10 minutes before it finally kills itself. The motherboard is a Zephyr and I am also noticing that the CPU is getting a little hotter than it normally does on the other motherboard revisions. So, what should I do to get this running properly?

Also, I believe that it has been fixed by microsoft in the past because there is a sticker on the motherboard hat says "ReworkedCPUHS" So the cpu has obviously been reworked.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:41:05 AM by Anonamous »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: 2 Red Lights and 0013 Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »
Ok so your back up and running now?  First you either have a bridged solder joint under the ram chips, or there over heating.. what i would suggest is a 12 volt fan mod.  alot of people put pennies under the ram chips to take the heat away... i don't recommend that..

I would maybe take the pads off ther ram chips and see if it runs any cooler...and maybe the 12 volt fan mod.. ram errors are a pain, 0110 especially... seems there never fixable unless you reball them. try to get it as cool as possible, let me know if this helps if not we can try a few other things. not sure what yet, but i am sure i will think of something.

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:53:54 AM »
Ok so your back up and running now?  First you either have a bridged solder joint under the ram chips, or there over heating.. what i would suggest is a 12 volt fan mod.  alot of people put pennies under the ram chips to take the heat away... i don't recommend that..

I would maybe take the pads off ther ram chips and see if it runs any cooler...and maybe the 12 volt fan mod.. ram errors are a pain, 0110 especially... seems there never fixable unless you reball them. try to get it as cool as possible, let me know if this helps if not we can try a few other things. not sure what yet, but i am sure i will think of something.

the pads were not originally there. They helped when I added them. I have heard about the penny "fix" but considering that it works similarly to how the x-clamp "fix" works, I don't think I should do it. I would rather not have to do the 12V fan mod because of how loud it is, but I will try it later today to see if it helps at all.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:19:07 AM »
the pads were not originally there. They helped when I added them. I have heard about the penny "fix" but considering that it works similarly to how the x-clamp "fix" works, I don't think I should do it. I would rather not have to do the 12V fan mod because of how loud it is, but I will try it later today to see if it helps at all.
You can always put a pot resistor in for the 12 volt fan mod that way you can keep it cooler and keep some of the noise down, you can get a good 10k pot resistor at Radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062298

This should be small enough to fit under the dvd drive towards the top where the hard drive goes and you will have complete access to it..

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
You can always put a pot resistor in for the 12 volt fan mod that way you can keep it cooler and keep some of the noise down, you can get a good 10k pot resistor at Radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062298

This should be small enough to fit under the dvd drive towards the top where the hard drive goes and you will have complete access to it..

If they have 5 watt ones though. If not the pot will burn up. 12v times 400mA is 4.8 watts

EDIT:Well, I just played through 3 campaign missions on call of duty world at war so it appears that it is fixed. Homefully it shouldn't be having anymore issues anytime soon.

[mod]Please click modify , Do Not double post[/mod]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:07:16 PM by Rodent »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »
how did you fix it ? Please explain  So others will know

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »

I heated ALL the ram chips with a heatgun (on lowest setting 540F for mine) and put the thermal pads back on the ram chips that go on the bottom of the board and then put 3M VHB foam tape (got them at radioshack) on all of the ram chips on the front side of the motherboard. Including the ram chips under the gpu heatsink.

The link to the tape I used is here

You just need to cut the tape into tiny squares roughly the size of the ram chips. Don't peel off the 3M VHB side or it will be a pain to get the gpu heatsink off of the board.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:32:04 PM by Anonamous »

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
You just need to cut the tape into tiny squares roughly the size of the ram chips. Don't peel off the 3M VHB side or it will be a pain to get the gpu heatsink off of the board.
Some good info you left us, will have to try it.

I take it you stuck the tape to the gpu heatsync other wise you wouldn't have known this.... :rofl: j/k

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
Some good info you left us, will have to try it.

I take it you stuck the tape to the gpu heatsync other wise you wouldn't have known this.... :rofl: j/k

no, the back of the motherboard. I tried it before trying the thermal pads from my jtag lol. Took me a while to pry the board from the shielding. Could not find good leverage lol.

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »
add no clean flux to cpu ram gpu
reflow it then add artic silver 5 no cheap generic crap unless you want problems again
xclamp fix
try not to keep reflowing it as it will flex the board
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 03:19:53 AM »
He replied

I heated ALL the ram chips with a heatgun (on lowest setting 540F for mine) and put the thermal pads back on the ram chips that go on the bottom of the board and then put 3M VHB foam tape (got them at radioshack) on all of the ram chips on the front side of the motherboard. Including the ram chips under the gpu heatsink.

The link to the tape I used is here

Read here

add no clean flux to cpu ram gpu
reflow it then add artic silver 5 no cheap generic crap unless you want problems again
xclamp fix
try not to keep reflowing it as it will flex the board
ALL Fixed before you Replied :D

Rodent consoles mods

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 02:02:30 PM »
dam it im always late.....just like high school all over again lol good to hear he fixed it  :hifive:
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal