Author Topic: My Custom Pinball FX Pinball controller  (Read 2666 times)

Offline SetpicLemon

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
My Custom Pinball FX Pinball controller
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »
Hello there, first time posting, but here's a little project that I want to work on once I find a cheap enough pre-owned wired 360 pad. I want to stick it inside an arcade stick-like box where there's buttons on each side of the controller, and a pinball plunger on the front.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now here's where I might need a little help, mainly because of the plunger. I want the plunger to pull back a sliding potentiometer that will manipulate the right analog's Y axis. But here's the thing, how can I get a pot to change the right stick's Y axis from neutral to down? I've seen pin out diagrams about where the X, Y and click pins are located, but what resistance do I need to get the Y axis to go all the way down? Maybe it uses something else and that I'm mad to think I should use a pot!?

Anyway, what do you guys think? If you wanted to know, the 4PDT switch at the top changes the button's mapping between triggers to bumper, just in case a future pinball game bizarrely uses the bumpers instead of the triggers.

Anyway, I'll appreciate any help I can get from this! Thanks for reading!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: My Custom Pinball FX Pinball controller
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
Not exactly sure what your doing, but the stick range.

when "Neutral" the wiper sits at like 0.6-0.7V force it to 1.5v and it will go up, force it to 0.0 and it will go down....

(the stick axis is controlled by a pot)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:17:37 PM by Modded Matt »

Offline SetpicLemon

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: My Custom Pinball FX Pinball controller
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
Not exactly sure what your doing

I'm making a pinball controller for my Xbox 360 since I'm addicted to Pinball FX 2 and Pinball Arcade at the moment, so I want to emulate that Pinball feel with buttons that are to the sides of a box with a plunger at the front.

I managed to find this. This is exactaly what I'm making, an arcade stick like controller that has buttons on the side and a plunger...

but the stick range.

when "Neutral" the wiper sits at like 0.6-0.7V force it to 1.5v and it will go up, force it to 0.0 and it will go down....

(the stick axis is controlled by a pot)

OK cool, thing is, I'll be needing a sliding pot where it's up-most position sets to neutral, so from what you said Matt, that's 0.6v, and the bottom most position sets the voltage to 0v. From what I read on the site the that the picture came from, a 10K slider was used. But looking at the pictures of the Plunger assembly the slider's position is actually near the centre rather than the up most position, which may suggest how the Y axis up most position is 1.5 volts, and the down most position is 0.0 volts. I'll have a look around the net and stuff, but thanks for telling me about the voltages that the analog sticks work on! :tup:

Ok, I had a look at the video that was on that page, and yeah it made some sense about how he set up the slider pot. It needs to be set to as close to 5K as possible, and as the 360 syncs up the pad it will use the pad's analog position as it's centre. So in my case it'll be near to 5K Ohms. The rest should be a simple wiring/shorting job. The only real issue that I'll be having is a woodwork as I don't have real woodwork tools on me. Hopefully I can borrow some off friends and relatives.

please do not double post

OK, I've been looking at controller traces, thing is I'm going to be using a Wired pad. Though I've been looking at the wireless common ground pad traces. If I was going to mod a CG1 for my plunger, would I wire the slider to the Y axis and the ground? Or should I be shorting the two Y axis points?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:44:34 PM by SetpicLemon »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal