Author Topic: Problems with opto and crapid fire on Cg2  (Read 1644 times)

Offline cduryee

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Problems with opto and crapid fire on Cg2
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
Im using a opto 4010 with emitter voltage at 2.46 and it reads  the same at the chip. But the chip does not power up. When I jump it straight to 3.0v source tp5 or battery + it works so I know chip is wired up and working.
I have the opto wired as follows anode to tp8 right now with a 1k resistor don't have a 1.8k. I also tried several others which didn't supply enough voltage to anode side. like 2.2k, 10k so far 1k and I have a 2.46
out of the emitter. not sure if not providing enough Milli amps or whats really going im stuck
cathode is to ground and collector is to tp5. Need some advice please.

Edit:
So i have seemed to get it to work with a 330 ohm resistor. So anybody know of the correct resistor to try. I would be extactic. as of now its working .. don't know for how long. Any advice would be appreciated
Oh and now getting 1.06 at anode with resistor and 2.21-2.22 at emitter chip works.  leds when on seems to be slighty dimmer then used to also.
P.S. Using Hazers Flex Rapid Fire
Ive tried so many different combos with resistor 2.2k, 2.2k parrallel, 10k, 1k, 1k parrallel, 1k series, I just don't have a 1.8k right now to try and the local shack didn't have any in stock.

Sorry about double post.
Data sheet for opto opia4010 http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/BM/OPTEK/387-0333.PDF
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:31:40 AM by cduryee »

Offline SethMods

• Registered BST
  • King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +17/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: Problems with opto and crapid fire on Cg2
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
Can you point us to a datasheet for that optocoupler? The ones that I have found seem to contradict the results that you are getting.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:16:59 PM by SethMods »

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »
a 330 ohm resistor is probably too big

http://www.datasheetdir.com/KP4010+download says the forward voltage is 1.2v so you would need something like a 39ohm resistor?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:30:24 AM »
How did you get that a 1.8k should be used? Seems like some half math was used there and you have a decimal in the wrong place. ;)

The TP8 spot is 1.5v on the CG and CG2 controllers. The Voltage of the LED in the OC is 1.2v and anything from 10mA to 20mA is all it needs to work.  (Voltage Source - LED Voltage) / LED Current = Resistor value in ohms, so in this case (1.5v - 1.2v) / 0.002mA = 15ohm, with 18ohm being the closest standard value.

Anything from 15ohm to 30ohm could be used, or for standard values 18 to 33, and there are loads of LED calculator online that can do all of that math for you.

The output of the OC is going to be slightly lower than the battery voltage, because it needs power to work and has it's own slight voltage drop.

The CG and CG2 controller's LEDs will also dim with battery voltage, so them being lower, it being lower thru the OC and then the chip having to turn them on and taking power as well, it's pretty normal for them to be slightly dimmer.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:45:30 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal