Author Topic: ON/OFF switch convertion to momentary switch  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
ON/OFF switch convertion to momentary switch
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »
Hey guys..

I surfed the subject on the web. basically what i want to do is convert a on/off switch to be a momentary switch. lets say the switch is down and i switch it on, it acts as a momentary switch, and when i press it off again its another push momentary switch... both ways... I'm not sure if i'm explaining this the right way..

so from what I've gathered this is not an easy thing to do.. Most topics I've read on the people used a 555 IC timer... or something called a monostable multivibrator which i didn't even start researching :P.

i found this diagram... instead of the trigger (the guy is building some kind of gun with a trigger acting as a momentary switch) i want to use a basic on/off switch.. does this diagram look like its worth testing?

can any one help me out? like with a basic diagram i can work on?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:18:52 AM by Luigus »

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
Re: ON/OFF switch convertion to momentary switch
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
Hey guys..

I surfed the subject on the web. basically what i want to do is convert a on/off switch to be a momentary switch. lets say the switch is down and i switch it on, it acts as a momentary switch, and when i press it off again its another push momentary switch... both ways... I'm not sure if i'm explaining this the right way..

so from what I've gathered this is not an easy thing to do.. Most topics I've read on the people used a 555 IC timer... or something called a monostable multivibrator which i didn't even start researching :P.

i found this diagram... instead of the trigger (the guy is building some kind of gun with a trigger acting as a momentary switch) i want to use a basic on/off switch.. does this diagram look like its worth testing?

can any one help me out? like with a basic diagram i can work on?

this circuit will not quite do what you want, what do you need this circuit to switch?

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »
I want too use the switch to replace the xbox 360 tact switch on the rf module.

thanks for the quik reply:)

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
you mean the power button? is this for a key switch by any chance?

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »
yep, for the power button. Yes, a key switch,  how did you know?  :fear:

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:59:11 AM »
Ive already done it before, I started doing it exactly like you did, except I programmed a PIC12F683 to do the work. However if you do it this way you will still be able to turn the xbox on the the eject button or with a controller.

So what I ended up doing was cutting the power enable trace on the mother board near the power jack and soldering the switch to either side of it, this way if you try and turn it on without the key turned then the xbox will flash red lights, but turn the key and hit the power switch again and it will boot straight up :D

Here is the mod I did https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,39668.msg297623.html

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
Haha, me and you think the same :P...

i like the idea of having to switch the key in order to power on the xbox, the method where you cut that trace you talked about.

but, how hard is it going to be to progam the PIC and wiring up everything so it actually turns on when you turn the key?

im wanting to go with like an ignition effect of a car :P

thanks for all the help so far..

BTW i actually saved pics of that mod of yours for future refrence lol...

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 09:26:19 AM »
Haha, me and you think the same :P...

i like the idea of having to switch the key in order to power on the xbox, the method where you cut that trace you talked about.

but, how hard is it going to be to progam the PIC and wiring up everything so it actually turns on when you turn the key?

im wanting to go with like an ignition effect of a car :P

thanks for all the help so far..

BTW i actually saved pics of that mod of yours for future refrence lol...

I have the hex code for the PIC burried on my PC somewhere and its not difficult to do it that way I just thought it was pointless having the key if you do it like that because you can get around it by pressing the eject button

Offline Luigus

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +6/-3
  • PSP-Direct Team
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 05:54:54 AM »
hmm, Yeah i decided on the other method you mentioned... I'm not sure which trace you're talking about though...

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »
hmm, Yeah i decided on the other method you mentioned... I'm not sure which trace you're talking about though...

look at a pinout of the power jack one of the two small pins is power enable trace this down on the mobo, its probably quite a thin trace.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal