Author Topic: Help Finding A Jtag Tutorial From Start To Finish  (Read 4093 times)

Offline tmoney153

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Help Finding A Jtag Tutorial From Start To Finish
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »
I want to learn how to jtag a console by myself from start to finish. I'm at the point where I feel comfortable with my soldering skills & I'm ready to start learning how to jtag. I have 4 xbox's that are on 7371 dash or lower & the manufacture dates are all before June 2009. I'm having trouble finding the most updated or the closest as possible noob jtag tutorial from start to finish. The only tutorials that I found that takes you thru the jtag process from start to finish is tutorials that hasn't been changed/updated since 2010 or 2011, I'm not sure but I think there has to be an updated/easier method out there am I wrong?
I've used the images on j-runner as a guide to show me the points that need to be soldered, I just wish it showed exactly which points need to be soldered but I'm pretty sure I can google them. Another question I have is that in most tutorials that I saw an LPT cable was used, along with a CAT5 ethernet cable, a db25 (male) connector & an rj45 coupler. I'm not sure but I think that I saw that newer methods replaced having to use these things, I don't remember what it was. Also is the diodes & resistors still needed? I think I remember seeing that though a resistor is not needed, it is definitely recommended, am I correct? I'm not sure about the diodes
If anyone can please point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. If no thread is available on here or from another site, the most trusted tutorial on youtube would be great

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
Re: Help Finding A Jtag Tutorial From Start To Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
the reason that there is no updated tutorial is because... nothing has changed. just updated programs.

follow this guide

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,40362.0.html

if you run into any problems we will help you. its really simple.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
best tool to use is J-runner programmer... fast easy and simple and saves all your files for you. and has diagrams for solering wires, resistors diodes and For Rgh consoles.

Read the tutorial that Snowcolt sent you , to help you understand more what is happening and for better pics and info ..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:25:20 PM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline tmoney153

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
Thanks guys, I understand that it's still basically the same process but I wanted to know if over time some things replaced others. For instance in older tutorials I saw an LPT cable was needed, you have to hot glue & Mount  a rj45 jack under the HDD & cut an ethernet cord but in other tutorials these things were never used. So I was just trying to figure out what replaced the LPT cable, rj45 jack & ethernet cable. Also I wanted to know are diodes & resistors still needed?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »
ok, what they are not telling you.

The original way to do it is what is shown in the tutorial Snow provided for you above, by the way, it was a very handsome guy who wrote that tut. It uses an lpt cable, cat 5, and the RJ45 jack. This method is proven and works fine every time. you can get everything you need from radio shack.....but your computer must have an old LPT port to use this method, most newer computers do not have this.

The new way is as Rodent mentioned, using the Jrunner programer. This is a part you must order off the net, you solder the programmer to the mobo, hook it up to the pc via usb and your program. This way is much faster and works with all computers. but you have to purchase the programmer. I have never used this method, but know it works.

I can help you with the LPT way as shown in the tut snow provided, I cannot personally help with the jrunner method. My tutorial for the lpt way needs to be updated (I will update this weekend) to include the newer dashboard build/files, but these are the last step.

Offline tmoney153

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
Thanks so much Modded Matt, your tutorial is great BTW, can't wait for the update, hopefully you'll do the jrunner method in the future because I haven't a tutorial using that method. The LPT cable was my main issue because I don't have a desktop only a laptop & it definitely doesn't have this port. I know I saw a while back that it was replaced with something but I just couldn't remember. Now that you pointed that out to me I remember that the jrunner program was used but not the device, I'm pretty sure it was the Nand-X, which I have because I was gonna try RGH'ing after I learned how to jtag. Am I correct?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
j-runner programmer is around $20. sometimes less, there more reliable then a nand x i think , for some reason i burned up 2 nand x .. dont know what happened just did.   you can download the j-runner program though and look at it. get use to it.

you can use the lpt on j-runner but i think it will take you days to read.. especially like bb jaspers not too bad for 16mb consoles.

thanks modded matt for explaining that i was kind of in a rush..  also what modded matt said you can use and you will learn alot by using nand pro and what is going on while your learning. as for Rghing really no difference in how you do it, just gotta add a matrix glitcher chip, dilligent chip or cool runner chip on falcons they all boot pretty fast using other chips other then a cool runner on RGH 1 consoles   Rgh 2 console little bit more difficult to use and boot times suck

Rgh Notes: for future referance.
RGH1 13604 to 8955 dash always best to update to 13599 less issues with rgh
Rgh 2 14699 to 14719 dashboard anything over that at this time can not be RGHed

Rodent consoles mods

Offline tmoney153

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »
Thanks Rodent, but I gotta crawl before I walk, I gotta focus on jtagging 1st then I'll look into rgh LOL. I'm going to work with what I have & see if the Nand-X will do the job, so the Nand-X wires just replaces where the LPT wires are supposed to go? The last thing is are the diodes & resistors still needed/suggested?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 04:13:06 PM »
Thanks Rodent, but I gotta crawl before I walk, I gotta focus on jtagging 1st then I'll look into rgh LOL. I'm going to work with what I have & see if the Nand-X will do the job, so the Nand-X wires just replaces where the LPT wires are supposed to go? The last thing is are the diodes & resistors still needed/suggested?
Nand x will do the job and yes for jtagging you need the diodes and resistors needed ... but you do not need the resistors where you hook up the nand x. or other usb devices.

Rodent consoles mods

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal