Author Topic: usb nand reader  (Read 15569 times)

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
usb nand reader
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »
no longer doing a rev to this but its final all you gotta do is upload to oshpark.com
now has connections to program the soic via pickit etc
will upload text later with the parts list

http://www.mediafire.com/?7qbewrw8d579db2
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:06:59 PM by 3D0 »
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline snowcolt17

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +16/-1
  • If all else fails, reflow it
Re: usb nand reader
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:52:55 AM »
thats pretty sweet

Offline paintlax21

• Registered BST
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
what program did you use for the design?

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »
what program did you use for the design?
i used diptrace which is free for private use
another good one is eagle but you have to pay for that
be happy to help out with what i know about diptrace if anyone wants to jump in and start designing also
i took about 3 days get semi understand wth was going on lol
so i guess my design is ok? im just gonna label everything and upload the files sometime today

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
im interested in this, as far as the reading and writing times goes for xbox nand. if all goes well, let me know 3d0. i'll order a few and test them out.

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
im interested in this, as far as the reading and writing times goes for xbox nand. if all goes well, let me know 3d0. i'll order a few and test them out.

read/write times are about 3 to 4 mins i bought a nand reader once using the same design and i would get 3 to 4 mins for reading and writing
cool thing is you can leave this installed so you dont have to resolder the wires
will label everything and create a parts list along with the files needed to upload to get these things created  in a bit

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »
that's good to know, about the same speed as the jr programmer 1.1. will be using this on my personal rgh box.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:51 AM »
give us the link you used got some ideas for this :)

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
what links rodent?
here is the link to download the zip file you can upload to oshpark.com inside the zip file is the rough schematic that i followed
also includes the parts list i used 0805 for resistors and 0805 caps to make it easy soldering the smd parts
any questions let me know also has for leds to verify operation while reading and writing to the nand

remember guys if anyone spots any mistakes let me know i would like someone to review it until then i dont suggest putting them into production until someone confirms its right
link is posted on original post
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:05:32 PM by 3D0 »

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
awesome design dude, id like to try it out but can you upload it somewhere else so i dont have to create an account to download it
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:35:00 PM by crazy-modder »

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
dam my bad guys thought u didnt have to sign up for anything
gonna try my dropbox account
new link added

Offline wtfisausername

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »
the holes you see are where the pin header would go

The holes looks like vias and may not be easy to solder to due to silkscreen possibly covering them. They also look to be on the small size and does not seem to be spaced evenly for a pin header.

Schematics looks good.

Edit: Actually, the resistors pads look like they are touching?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:46:35 PM by wtfisausername »

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
The holes looks like vias and may not be easy to solder to due to silkscreen possibly covering them. They also look to be on the small size and does not seem to be spaced evenly for a pin header.

Schematics looks good.

Edit: Actually, the resistors pads look like they are touching?

from what i understand you can have silk screen over traces but not over actual vias pads etc
and no text seems to be touching any solder pads
and yes i thought about the spacing but at the same time  i dont have anything to go by to measure
 you can still solder 30awg wire to them
and no the resistor pads arent touching they seem that way from the 3d preview but inside the program there spaced enough that they dont interfere with each other

while using diptrace and uploading the zip's to oshpark keep in mind both program and website are super anal about any small errors
better yet oshpark wont accept the file if thees any error  but then again  :dntknw:

will recheck my work thanks for reviewing it

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 06:13:07 PM »
Ya everything looks good but instead of the holes for the pin header, i would just do open copper pads to solder to.  Also, could you include a parts list. I think theres a crystal and not sure what resistors are supposed to be and also the microcontroller. Im assuming a pic18f2550?

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »
Ya everything looks good but instead of the holes for the pin header, i would just do open copper pads to solder to.  Also, could you include a parts list. I think theres a crystal and not sure what resistors are supposed to be and also the microcontroller. Im assuming a pic18f2550?

well oshpark and other websites are picky as hell with one sided board why im still not sure...anyone know why? imo i think its stupid
tbh crazy modder i actually did what your suggesting i even emailed my design to oshpark's help dept i guess lol
and they even said they dont do well with single sided boards  :dntknw:
and yes ill post here for the parts list some of the caps are determined by the crystal you use

Offline wtfisausername

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
Depending on the fab house and size of the via, silkscreen do sometimes cover the vias.

I have never use diptrace before and have no idea how that program works, usually for spacing you would make them in the component editor section of the program (which was a huge pita when I first used it). However pin headers are very common and all pcb programs with libraries should already have footprints for them.

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »
Depending on the fab house and size of the via, silkscreen do sometimes cover the vias.

I have never use diptrace before and have no idea how that program works, usually for spacing you would make them in the component editor section of the program (which was a huge pita when I first used it). However pin headers are very common and all pcb programs with libraries should already have footprints for them.

thanks for the info yes i see the pin header now lol
keep in mind i did this drunk and about 12 hrs over the course of 2 days lol
will redo the design to incorporate the pin header
any other suggestions ?
trying to learn as much as i can

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »
Are you gonna add the pads for leds? If so, are you still sticking to 0805 or are you gonna use 0603 add that its more common?

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »
Are you gonna add the pads for leds? If so, are you still sticking to 0805 or are you gonna use 0603 add that its more common?

leds traces are installed there on the top left corner
and yes there using 0805 leds
i can redo it so itll use 0603 leds

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 05:43:14 AM »
here if this will help if not ask Anonamous  He has made these before himself...  although he did make his own circuit boards.  but i am sure this will help with anything you need , chip , crystal , resistors. caps.
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,40528.0.html

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
0805 are fine as i have these leds as well. also where do you guys recommend buying the components(going by anonymous post). i tend to look at things and buy them at higher quantity for the the cheaper price. lol its bad habit.

priced everything without the board and it comes out to just $100 and it will be enough to make 11 or 12 boards. LMAO!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:50:11 AM by theodor613 »

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
mouser has the 18f2455 for around 5 bucks and everything else u can get on ebay
i think for around 20 30 bucks you can get all 3 boards made up with smd's
gonna redo the whole thing today with new pin headers and clean up as much as i can think i can redo it a little better now that im pretty confident about the design
i was about 90 % done last night redoing the design but i was pretty drunk and forgot to save it lol
kinda hungover lol

random question
who has heard of the progskeet v1.1?
used to R/W to xbox 350 nand and R/W to ps3 nand/nor also has enough I/O

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »
Then I'll go ahead and order the parts. Let me when you finish with the final design.

Edit: i just split my purchases between ebay and Newark, 18.50 for ebay and 38.50 for Newark. i have enough to do 5 boards, plus i still have to purchase the boards when they are done. so depending on the price from ohspark i might just end up purchasing more.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:50:28 AM by theodor613 »

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
the boards are gonna come out to little under 10$ usd for 3 boards plus your shipping they have free shipping from oshpark just uploaded new files to verify

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »
Just ordered a total of 9. They only allow order if sets of 3. Whenever they come in, I'll solder then with my hot air station and test them out. Also, fire the rest picture boards,i have enough resistor and capacitor that'll be soldered on as well. It'll only be missing the pic and USB connector.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
This is just a quick look over it, I haven't dug into the gerbers and compared to the original yet, and it's meant to be constructive criticism also, not a tear down of the work.

For that size board, you have everything really crammed together. Short traces aren't always best, and for something like this it's not going to matter.

Don't come out of a pad at an angle, unless it can't be avoided. The traces at pins 8, 9, 16, 24 and 26 should be redone.

You have C1, C2, C3 and C4 different in your parts list versus the original one.

You should not have Vias in pads where components will mount. For empty pads it's a 50/50 deal, but where a component goes is a no-no. The Vias on pads 17 and 23 on the PIC and 1 each on C1 and C2 should be moved so they are outside of the pads.

The USB footprint you're using locks someone into using that connector, which there's no part # for.

There are no pads for programming the PIC. Being it's SMT, it would just make things easier if they where there so no one has to solder to the PIC to program it, or a header for them in the correct pinout so the PK2/3 could just be plugged into it or a cable soldered up for programming.

The headers you're using have a 1.27mm spacing, they would be better spaced at 2mm or even 2.54mm headers or pads.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 06:55:10 AM »
This is just a quick look over it, I haven't dug into the gerbers and compared to the original yet, and it's meant to be constructive criticism also, not a tear down of the work.

For that size board, you have everything really crammed together. Short traces aren't always best, and for something like this it's not going to matter.
* so should i make the board bigger or is this for future ref saying short traces arent always good?

Don't come out of a pad at an angle, unless it can't be avoided. The traces at pins 8, 9, 16, 24 and 26 should be redone.
*hmm didnt know it made a diff will redo

You have C1, C2, C3 and C4 different in your parts list versus the original one.
*lol yeah i didnt wanna go back and redo it but as long as they follow the info in the text should be good no?

You should not have Vias in pads where components will mount. For empty pads it's a 50/50 deal, but where a component goes is a no-no. The Vias on pads 17 and 23 on the PIC and 1 each on C1 and C2 should be moved so they are outside of the pads.
*will redo

The USB footprint you're using locks someone into using that connector, which there's no part # for.
*the lib for usb is pretty horrible imo what usb connector do you suggest?

There are no pads for programming the PIC. Being it's SMT, it would just make things easier if they where there so no one has to solder to the PIC to program it, or a header for them in the correct pinout so the PK2/3 could just be plugged into it or a cable soldered up for programming.
*any ideas for this suggestion?

The headers you're using have a 1.27mm spacing, they would be better spaced at 2mm or even 2.54mm headers or pads.
* will redo

thanks for the info rdc

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »
Lol guess I'll make do with what i got. Might i suggest using 0603 to give your self a little more room?

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
Lol guess I'll make do with what i got. Might i suggest using 0603 to give your self a little more room?

my bad theodor why i didnt wanna post it until someone really looked at it
if you wanna continue and test it out the better if not i think you can retract the design at oshpark

rdc's suggestion to have a built in programmer for the pic since not everyone has a way to program that pic is a good idea
maybe i can add a second board also so you can run a ribbon cable so you dont have to keep opening the xbox to connect the usb cable to write to the nand you can have a second board outside the xbox
wanna kee the 0805 since not its not easy for everyone with 0603 the leds on the design are 0603 since there common

any other ideas?
 will work on it today since i didnt feel good yesterday

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
I'm saying you have a lot of wasted space on that board. Spread those parts out a little bit. It'll make populating it easier and not have your traces all jacked up.

Making less than a 90 degree angle is doable, but it's not recommended as it may not etch properly. Hitting a pad right in the corner is OK, like at R10, since those angles are more than 90, but that should also be avoided if possible. At pad 26 of the PIC is an example of a less than 90 degree  angle.

Anyone that decides to look over all of the info wouldn't care for 2 sets of data that disagree.

Using any kind of connector is a balance between cost and how many times the thing will be used. If it's something that will be used a lot, then just pick some connector and go with it, otherwise a row of 4 pads in the USB pinout would be just as good, or even both.

Programming pads for the PIC can be whatever. Just a 5 pin header or 5 pads, connected to the correct pins of the PIC.

Just tinkering here the last hour or so, this was also done in DipTrace. Board size is roughly the same, 42mm x 38mm. No LEDs. The minUSB connector is the UX60A. Headers would be optional. All Resistors and Caps are 0603.

If you want these DT files 3D0 PM me, I'm not going to mess with this design anymore, and I wouldn't send it off as is either since that Xtal needs to be picked out first and then a footprint picked for it, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:10:50 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 09:01:14 AM »
too hung over? lol just kidding. i'm gonna continue with the current one and will post how it goes. i also corrected the parts list for myself so i dont screw anything up.

reason i suggested the 0603 was because i was gonna solder using a hot air station, not everyone has them. Damn, i was just too selfish. lol
Personally if one cant solder 0603, they shouldn't be soldering something of this caliber. just my personal opinion.

as far as running a ribbon cable, i dont like that idea much even though its a good option. i will be installing these in my customer rgh consoles and i know people like to fiddle around in there. hence the reason i am leaving these installed as almost all my customer are asking me how to flash their own nands. gonna cut a small opening in one of the side cages and grill, hot glue the the board and viola easy access. something of that nature.

also with the programming of the pic, which pins needs to be used for the pickit2? i can deal with soldering wires to the chip itself. not a big deal since most people will only be making 3 boards from oshpark.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »
Pins on the PIC for programming are.... in the DataSheet for the PIC, one probably shouldn't be programming them if they can't look them up. ;)

VPP - Pin 1 (Remove R1 for programming, or program the PIC before it's installed)
VDD - Pin 20
VSS - Pin 8 or 19
DAT - Pin 28
CLK - Pin 27 (Remove R2 for programming IF it's already installed in a 360, otherwise it's fine)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:25:07 AM by RDC »

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 10:08:28 AM »
Pins on the PIC for programming are.... in the DataSheet for the PIC, one probably shouldn't be programming them if they can't look them up. ;)

LMAO you got me there! but thanks!

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
Thats nice work!

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 11:05:42 AM »
that's what i have for a parts list
let me know if this is correct.

R1 and R7=10k ohm 1/4 watt resistor size 0805
R2,R3,R4,R5,R6=100ohm 1/4 watt resistors size 0805
R8 and R9=led's size 0603 any color
R10 and R11=100ohm 1/4 watt resistors size 0805
C3=0.1UF size 0805
C4=0.47UF size 0805
C1 and C2=22PF size 0805
crystal is a 12mhz crystal
5 pin usb connector
18f2455
and a way to program that 18f2455 (pickit etc)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:03:38 AM by theodor613 »

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,40528.0.html

If you need help let me know. I have made a handful of these myself lol.

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
thanks anon pretty much a smaller footprint added connector to be able to flash hex files while the soic is soldered on and added leds also
ready to be uploaded to oshpark to get them made
will uploaded a parts list in a bit

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:10 AM »
i've updated my parts list to match Anonamous. it should all be correct now.
Also had some paypal balance so i ordered one set of 3 for only .15¢ lol.

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
I don't know if you have it in the gerber files but from looking at the picture in the first post you are missing a connection. Pi 23 on the PIC is supposed to be connected directly to J1D2.4

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:33 AM »
I don't know if you have it in the gerber files but from looking at the picture in the first post you are missing a connection. Pi 23 on the PIC is supposed to be connected directly to J1D2.4

the picture in the original post is outdated i redid it a few times with the help of RDC

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »
i was reviewing both the first board and the final rev. i also spotted that. it's all good though, a few of my friends wants to learn how to solder small components so i will be using these for their learning purposes. im looking into going to school as well so the first boards are gonna be my practice board for school.

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 06:39:37 AM »
here is my install

As you can see it was a bit difficult for me to solder the crystal. Ordered some real smd cystal so its gonna be another week of waiting, which is fine cause that's when the final rev will be in as well as the stencils i ordered for it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:01:27 AM by theodor613 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal