Author Topic: [Help] Next Big PC Build... Suggestions?  (Read 4569 times)

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
[Help] Next Big PC Build... Suggestions?
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
My computer I am using now is about 7 years old and its still very good.

Asus Motherboard
Kingston 6GB DDR2 800 Ram
Intel Dual core 2.2Ghz processor
MSI 1GB DDR5 HDMI, DVI, VGA graphics card
820 GB total hard drive space (two 250GB and a 320GB drive)
Windows XP 64-bit Professional

Works well but I need to future-proof my system. I just need help picking out the correct graphics card for my motherboard. im on a budget of about $600 for the hardware. So far here is a list of what I have:

Motherboard ($79.99) - MSI 970A-G46 AM3+
RAM ($159.99) - G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
CPU ($104.99) - AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
Power Supply ($59.99) - SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W
Graphics Cards ($24.99) - GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 (two of these for quad monitors)
Hard Drive ($69.99) - Kingston 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
Subtotal: $524.93

The motherboard had no on-board graphics card, so would there be anything I should look out for when I use pci-e graphics cards?
Will they work out-of-the-box?
How would I install the video card drivers if I had too?

What are your suggestions? There are too many choices out there and I just don't know much about computer parts.

I'm mainly going to use this setup for CAD, web design, media production, programming, and surfing the web. I'm not a PC gamer so that's not really anything to worry about. If you guys can help me out that would be cool! (:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:41:14 PM by FOOKz™ »

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
Re: [Help] Next Big PC Build... Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
Mogler recommended these:

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102988
CORSAIR 850Watt Power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022

My subtotal now comes up to be $684.93

I'm more confident that everything will work. Thanks dude :D

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 12:34:23 AM »
Not bad, that corsair 850w is what I recommend to all my mates who decided to build a rig. (<- plus leaves some space for improvements to your system in the future, hint hint.. 8350...)  Only negatives I have for you on the parts thus far:
the 6XXX series of amds GPU's are rather power hungry, corosponding 7XXX is better in all aspects (besides price :laughing:)
Shame you couldn't get lower latency ram, but probably wont really notice.
Also beware some motherboards act a little erratically when you populate all 4 ram channels.

But overall looks like a solid low-mid range system. I haven't ever tried the 2 module bulldozer chips, tell me how it performs if you do get one, I believe a lot of CAD software is able to take full advantage of the extra integer units so you should see admirable results.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:16:41 AM »
if on a budget and only doing it for said stuff get a i3 this will help in the media ect part and low on cost(yes it still brings same power and that amd)

if your only doing said a 6xx or a 6xxx will be just stupid but a mate got a good 6xx. i got a 7770 and i got it cheap for gaming does real great.

for after a low end card and getting a 850w psu on that rig would just be stupid look for smaller

p.s; just cos i posted does not mean people don't have to reply dam kinda getting bit old people.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:20:31 PM by whitetop »
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »
I am going to look at smaller power supplies - something like 700 watts.

Also I have considered buying a different motherboard instead so I can use an Intel CPU because I've been told AMD is lesser quality than Intel. So far my current rig uses an Intel Core 2 Duo and it is still running strong as ever after 7 years.

750 Watt Power Supply
ASUS, ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W

I might invest in less RAM just in case if i have problems:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

I'm planning on buying the video cards later AFTER I build the PC and set everything up. The subtotal comes up to be about $437.94! NOT BAD!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:44:07 AM by FOOKz™ »

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »

RAM ($159.99) - G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3

'

zKOOF why in the hell are you buying 32gb of ram for!?!?! lol

8 is all you'll need, and that's pushing it.  If you're trying to future proof your system on a budget, why invest the most in ram? Put more of that money into something else (Nicer Case, CPU, Graphics Card, etc.)

In my opinion Intel >>> AMD by a longshot, so i'd invest in an i5 or i7 processor.  They're very versatile for overclocking.  I just bought an i7-920 (a little old, i know) for 150 bucks, and an aftermarket heatsink for 20. I'm sure you could get an i5 for even less. or even an i3.

Offline Fareham dave

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • To Punish and Enslave
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »
is this gonna be a gaming rig? if so i reccomend asuz republic of gamers mobo. msi arent very good for compatability. i reccomend this one http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/formula/maximus-v-formula/ my friend has one and its a monster, it plays bf3 at max res and still runs about 120fps.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 09:54:55 PM »
is this gonna be a gaming rig? if so i reccomend asuz republic of gamers mobo. msi arent very good for compatability. i reccomend this one http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/formula/maximus-v-formula/ my friend has one and its a monster, it plays bf3 at max res and still runs about 120fps.

Nope im not using this for gaming. Just using it for web design/programming and video editing.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 01:33:15 AM »
Seeing your interest in switching to a sandy/ivy bridge, thought I would write my 2c rant on amd vs intel as of 2013.

[spoiler]
Intel make the crème de la crème of cpu's, (since they have the money and manpower to perfect architectures and manufacturing processes). Amd makes better performance for money cpus, nothing wrong with their quality, been running a phenom 545 overclocked for several years and not so much as one BSOD on that PC.

Intels latest ivy bridge is using a fine tuned version of the architecture that developed after the switch to multiple cores, the last generation benefiting from a further reduction in the scale of the manufacturing technology (making them 2 steps ahead of amd, who are still at the mercy of Global Foundaries).

Amd who doesn't have the resources to compete with intels "tick tock" methodology of improvements, and has to innovate to stay in the battle (can be seen by apus, bulldozer modules ect.). The current amd bulldozer cores have an Achilles' heel when they are hit with heavy single threaded workloads such as older software and games, since the majority of the processor is unused and it highlights the slow caching speeds. However there is a shift happening in software design to better allocate workloads, and take advantage of many threads (without concurrency issues that plagued older threading), some examples of software that is getting good at this is adobe suites, 3d software, alot of cad software (aswell as some free software, like chrome and 7zip).

//one note that I think also needs to be added is that intel likes to change their socket with every new cpu generation so when you need to upgrade you need to swap out your mobo. While amd has basically been on the same socket since 2006 as long as the motherboard vendors support a BIOS upgrade to support the new generation (and should remain on AM3+ until at least steamroller).

Nothing like a good nerd rant. Good luck with your decision, both companies make good products :victory: [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:34:18 AM by GhoSt »
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Mogler

• Research & Development
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +11/-0
  • Seeding bittorrents like a digital pimp, son.
    • Indie Game Zone
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
Getting two of those graphics cards right? cause your running 4 monitors.

And i would recommend intel over amd but eather way there going to run, iv been using amd for years never had a problem. Intel does make nicer cpus but since your on a budget the amd route fits this situation better. You'll get the same amount of power as a intel cpu for cheaper.

Intel cpu's are exspenciveeeeeee.

Youtube: CallawayINC
Blog: Mogler

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
I would also rather stick with the Asus motherboard I picked out - it seems better than the MSI motherboard i originally wanted to use.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:03:23 PM by FOOKz™ »

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:49:26 PM »
fookz i have that motherboard and has came out better than the msi board i have had replaced due to how bad they was built.

my specs

intel i5 2500
ASUS P8B75-V
600W Silent ATX2 Modular Power Supply
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
asus 7770 1gb gpu
250gb samsung ssd
Antec SOLO2

all came just over 500$ and has ran everything i want and throw at it.

i was going for a amd fx yet after my amd pc's keep overheating for no reason what's so ever i when to try intel and would never go back to amd not saying there bad but they are not the best at lying about there products.

if you want pm me and ill help as you really will get fanboys for this company and that company its just not right.

for what you want to do just a i3 3220 would do great or a i3 2520 or i5 2400 and you already picked a great motherboard and 550w/650w pus will do
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal