Author Topic: SMD controller problems.  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
SMD controller problems.
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
So recently I tried changing the SMD's on the controller for the first time. I got a mix of colors yet the only ones that are bright are the red ones. anyone know why that is? I tried blue at first but they were so dim that when i put the shell back together it was hard to see them, same for pink and different green ones. yet the red come out bright as day.

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
Re: SMD controller problems.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:00:21 PM »
Could be the LED  millicandela (Mcd) usually reds have a higher Mcd then green or blue. Green is brighter than blue and blue is dimmest of the three.

LED spectrum

heres a visual spectrum

And for fun and coolness

Transformer dino - grimlock  :tup:
...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »
I had that problem once. turned out to be a fluke with the controller. I think it was a matrix but other matrix have done fine since then.

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
well how do i get them brighter? ive seen controllers with blue smd's and they are just as bright as the red.

like this one

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
I could not do it on that particular conttroller. Not sure what the problem was. Try them on another controller. bet they are bright as ****! either that or got them to hot. If you hold the iron on them to long they get dim.

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »
First You Should Do Is Put In Fresh Batteries. If The Problem Still Exist Then It Is The Led Themselves.

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
ok cool thanks guys. Ill try it out when I get home.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:24:03 AM »
The only way to get your 0603 LEDs to shine their brightest and not dim out is to use a wiped controller or PNC cable. Different color 0603 LEDs have different operating tolerances. If u use a voltage meter "I believe" they run on 3.7 volts. When u use batteries and get to 3 bar life u will see other LEDs fade in color. Purple is the worst. It requires a lot of juice to stay bright, then its something like white next then pink, dark ggreen and bright yellow ect. Red and stock Microsoft green / yellow have very low operating tolerances. From my experience they will stay at full brightness through all battery life. The Microsoft controller is power hungry and will rob power from other places to keep the main controller board chip running. I feel all 0603 LEDs are the same brightness its just how u supply the power to them.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:59:54 AM by Rodent »

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
The only way to get your 0603 LEDs to shine their brightest and not dim out is to use a wiped controller or PNC cable. Different color 0603 LEDs have different operating tolerances. If u use a voltage meter "I believe" they run on 3.7 volts. When u use batteries and get to 3 bar life u will see other LEDs fade in color. Purple is the worst. It requires a lot of juice to stay bright, then its something like white next then pink, dark ggreen and bright yellow ect. Red and stock Microsoft green / yellow have very low operating tolerances. From my experience they will stay at full brightness through all battery life. The Microsoft controller is power hungry and will rob power from other places to keep the main controller board chip running. I feel all 0603 LEDs are the same brightness its just how u supply the power to them.

There are different brightness level for the smd leds. you have to read the specs on them. For example, the ice blue leds that i have are bright compare to just blue leds. both have the same voltage and resistor applied to them and both runs at about 3.3v each.  i have some led boards with different colors of blue that i can power up to show the differences.

So yeah when the battery gets low, so does the brightness. i currently have a black controller with red 0603 leds, and they stay bright until the controller turns itself off.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:00:06 AM by Rodent »

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »
Thanks for that info dident know that! I also ment to say 0603. Its hard to post on cell phones lol. Can't wait to hook up my new computer today. Been without a PC for about 1year now.

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:10 AM »
well the one controller I was working on made all colors but red dim so i tried another controller and the pink worked fine.

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 06:13:33 AM »
I told you. I agree with the others about the voltages but I had one like that that was just a fluke. I even measured the voltages on that controller and it seemed to peak over 3v so idk what the issue was. You may can try cleaning up the points and retinning them.

At least you got it figured out. Gratz.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal